The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 20, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
jonathon.strack

Help Me Build My 5.56 M4 Carbine

I have decided that I would put this upto the best minds in the field of M4 Builds, but they wanted too much money, so I figured I'd come to my friends here on TFL. (Still love you guys)

I am looking at building a M4 Carbine once I get home from Iraq, but I want to build it myself, and not buy a "custom built" manufactuer model.
Cost will not really play too big of an issue, but I would like to keep the build under 3K but I am willing to go upto 4K if need be.

I have decided that I want to have a 5.56 Barrel so that I am able to use both 5.56 and .223 rounds.

I have not decided on a 1 in 9 or a 1 in 12 barrel twist. What would you recommend and why.

I will want a multi-positioning stock, so there is not much to go on that one.

I am looking at a match trigger upgrade from the original trigger assembly.

I am not fully aware to the pros or cons on forged vs stamped lowers any insights?

What would be the best accessories to add to this rifle? I am definately looking for a great optical sight that I can use should I not decide on the iron sights, and I was looking at a fold down rear sight.

I do not know everything aobut the M4 because I have been stuck using the M16A2 within my unit. So any input you guys could offer would be awesome.

Thanks for Everything and for your input.

Last edited by jonathon.strack; July 20, 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added text
Old July 20, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
IHMSA Shooter

AR15.com will answer many of your questions.

Your budget gives you "Carte Blanche"

Look toward these brand names: Bravo Company, LMT, Noveske, LaRue to name a few.

Knowing your intended purpose for the rifle would help point you in the right direction.

5.56 is a good start. 1X9 twist is a common twist that would allow you to use a wide range of bullet weights. 1X8 or 1X7 might be better if you intend to use heavier bullets. I, personally, would not use a 1X12 twist because it limits your projectile selection.

Multi position stock is a personal thing. BCM makes a good basic M4 carbine stock, but look to Magpul, Vltor or LMT if you want more bells and whistles.

Match triggers are great for target shooting, but I would stick with a stock trigger on a working rifle.

I don't know that anyone is making a cast lower anymore. All the major players new stock lowers will be forged.

Accesories will be determined by the rifles intended purpose.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by IHMSA Shooter; July 20, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old July 20, 2009, 01:04 PM   #3
bigghoss

go to ar15.com or m4carbine.net they have a lot of the info you seek archived.

I believe the 1 in 7 twist was better for shooting all weights but I can't remember. usually ar's run either 1 in 7 or 1 in 9. 1 in 12 might be a bit slow.

you'd be surprised the variety and difference in quality of the various collapsible stocks on the market, even those that look like a standard m4 stock. so do some homework here.

you'll want a forged mil-spec lower, for the most part they're any forged mil-spec is as good as another.

before you go picking out accessories there are still the issues of gas systems, buffer weights, hand guards, gas blocks, bolts and bolt carriers ect.

start slow. make sure you know how to put the thing together(not hard) then build your lower receiver. get a buffer tube and pick out a stock.

then you'll have to figure out what buffer you need, gas system, bolt and carrier

once you have a functional rifle then you can pick out the other goodies
Old July 20, 2009, 02:08 PM   #4
zenmtnman

First of all, thank you for your service, and God bless, and get home safe.
+1 to both posts above.
Having built several in the last few months, I can speak to this a bit. Your budget is high end, that's for sure. I think my most expensive AR build was around $1K without accessories or optics.
Just my 2 cents, but as said before, build the lower first, that's the only part that needs to go through an FFL.
Stock is all about fit to you...I like the Magpul CTR for the positive lock up on a carbine, but I also really like the old A1 stock with its slightly shorter LOP.
I also like their MIAD grip, which allows you to fit the grip to your hand size.
From what I've heard, the majority of lowers and upper receivers (not barrels, mind you) are forged for most of the major makers by a few manufacturers, so I would put the most thought into the bolt/barrel manu. CMMG has a stellar reputation among my LEO friends.

I like the versatility of the 1 in 7. I haven't had it over rotate my surplus 55gr 5.56 yet, but it makes my 75 grain match bullets hit the 10 ring at 300 yards.

General wisdom is that a mid-length gas system for a 14.5 -16" barrel is best, as the pulse isn't as hard on the BCG as the carbine length gas system, but again, that's personal preference. Some manus actually have rifle length gas systems on their 16" barrels...so you get the longer sight picture.
For optics, personally, I've got one carbine set up with a Nikon African 1-4X20 scope, and couldn't be happier. Its a true 1X at 1X, with nice heavy german #4 reticule, and with the 4X it lets me reach out comfortably to 200-300 yards, though I must admit, its on a 6.8SPC upper. (which is something else to consider).
I'm a big fan of the 6.8, but that too is a matter of personal pref, but with one lower, why not have an upper of each?
It was only $220 on eBay with free shipping, which made me happy, and has enough clearance to mount a low profile BUIS under it.
So I guess the long and the short of it is this...if you want to build your lower yourself, and buy a complete upper (carbine/mid/rifle length gas), you'll save some $$ to spend on free float hand guards, optics, etc. I'd stick with LMT, Noveske, LaRue, CMMG personally...
Good luck and keep us posted. Then post pics!
M1 Garand, Tikka T-3 Hunter 30-06, Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded, Ruger Redhawk 45LC 4", Beretta A390 12g, CMMG 308 16" Carbine, Custom AR-15 20" 5.56 SPR Rifle, RRA AR-15 6.8 SPC Mid, Burgeoning Handloader
Rocky Mountain Gun Toting Hippy - and Proud of it.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:55 PM   #5
jonathon.strack

Purpose of M4

I plan upon using this rifle for a few different things, I want to use it for a long distance elimination weapon, and also use it for Personal Home Protection. Hope this will help in the information that you guys provide back.
Old July 21, 2009, 04:51 PM   #6
IHMSA Shooter

You know to me that is almost reason for 2 different rifles.

I would like a longer barrel and fixed stock for a long range weapon and a collapsible stock and short barrel for an HD weapon.

Not that you couldn't compromise, but I think I would build 2 guns. With a $3K-$4K spending limit you have the funding to build 2 rifles out of quality parts.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:38 PM   #7
jakubmatt

Very New, want to protect

I want to build a M-4, or similar, for home protection but cannot spend the entire amount for a new gun (need to spread it out to hide from wife) so I have to buy it in parts. Here is what I want to put together to assemble. Please let me know if I am missing anything or if for some reason they are not compatible. Upper Receiver: VLTOR MUR Modular Upper Receiver; Barrel: Stripped: BCM 16" M4 Barrel, Stripped; Lowe Receiver: Larue Steal Products Lower Reciever; Butstock; IMOD Combo Kit, Black Standard Milspec AIBK-MSB; and Bolt Carrier Group: Larue M-16 Bolt Carrier Group 850-003.

Hopefully someone can tell me if these will all fit together, or if they will not, how a novice figures out how to build one by piecing them together.
Thanks
Old August 10, 2011, 09:39 PM   #8
jakubmatt

review of parts

I want to build a M-4, or similar, for home protection but cannot spend the entire amount for a new gun (need to spread it out to hide from wife) so I have to buy it in parts. Here is what I want to put together to assemble. Please let me know if I am missing anything or if for some reason they are not compatible. Upper Receiver: VLTOR MUR Modular Upper Receiver; Barrel: Stripped: BCM 16" M4 Barrel, Stripped; Lowe Receiver: Larue Steal Products Lower Reciever; Butstock; IMOD Combo Kit, Black Standard Milspec AIBK-MSB; and Bolt Carrier Group: Larue M-16 Bolt Carrier Group 850-003.

Hopefully someone can tell me if these will all fit together, or if they will not, how a novice figures out how to build one by piecing them together.
Thanks
Old August 10, 2011, 10:31 PM   #9
DnPRK

Barrel
Bolt carrier group
Charging Handle
Trigger
Upper and Lower receiver combo
Rail
Miscellaneous lower receiver parts
Front sight
Rear sight
Pistol grip
Stock
Receiver extension
H2 buffer
Flash suppressor
Scope mount
Old August 11, 2011, 12:45 AM   #10
essohbe

Quote:
go to ar15.com or m4carbine.net they have a lot of the info you seek archived.
No. Stay here. Do not go there. ARF.com well, okay whatever ... but M4carbine.net IME is *usually* a bunch of elitest a-holes stupid enough to fall for buying overpriced rilfes while ansering threads pretending to have been police officers. You will get an overwhelming influx of "use the search function" followed by your threads being promptly closed or locked so you can't explain that you tried and nothing aptly applied to your question. If you get in trouble on other boards for something beyond your own control then they ban you for life on theirs because... well, they are exactly what I said: elitest a-holes high on themselves yet scared of reality and that someone might find out they are full of their own digested and excreted food waste.

Rant over, but if it helps you decide well I am building a new AR too and I chose pretty much all stuff from Bravo Company + some misc parts I have. The BCM have these 'cosmetic belmish' lower receivers you get a discount on, lol. I'm a cheap bastard but I got alumihyde for that and they function fine and most lowers are all the same damn thing anyway unless you buy one of those plastic ones...

I got a 410 stainless 16" barrel with 1/8 twist with a mid-length gas system. The mid-length is smoother operating from what I experience than the carbine. A real M4 has a short barrel and if you don't want to pay a tax stamp then you have to settle for 16" barrels but the gas system stays the same so people are running the bolts a little rougher with a carbine length than a proper mid-length type of thing, IYAM... I second what zenmtnman said.

Everyone will tell you "oh buy this or buy that" - yet most stuff is just overpriced versions of what works fine for cheaper. Don't skimp on your bolt stuff though, I'm just saying you don't need a fire control group made by NASA on the far side of Mars and also don't pay $400 for a handguard either as is what allot of elitest retards are doing.
Old August 11, 2011, 03:16 PM   #11
jakubmatt

Wow I did not expect such great replies, especially so fast. Thank you guys very much.
Old August 11, 2011, 05:04 PM   #12
hudson69

I am looking at building a M4 Carbine once I get home from Iraq, but I want to build it myself, and not buy a "custom built" manufactuer model.
Cost will not really play too big of an issue, but I would like to keep the build under 3K but I am willing to go upto 4K if need be.

A-You could buy an outstanding AR-15 for less than 1K so do that in lieu of building one unless you really want to and not have a warranty.

I have decided that I want to have a 5.56 Barrel so that I am able to use both 5.56 and .223 rounds.

A-They are all pretty much interchangable unless you are an elitist or have OCD.

I have not decided on a 1 in 9 or a 1 in 12 barrel twist. What would you recommend and why.

A-The military uses 1 in 7 twist rate for the heavier rounds so if you have to, go with the 1 in 9 since the 1 in 12 is for lighter rounds.

I will want a multi-positioning stock, so there is not much to go on that one.

A-I like these better myself and make the rifle much more versatile. A lot of people make these of good quality.

I am looking at a match trigger upgrade from the original trigger assembly.

A-If you are going to have a gun to plink with then I wouldn't go with a match trigger. If you are going to compete get a jewel or something similar.

I am not fully aware to the pros or cons on forged vs stamped lowers any insights?

A-Not to sound like an elitist but it is forged or cast. Forged is much stronger than cast.

What would be the best accessories to add to this rifle? I am definately looking for a great optical sight that I can use should I not decide on the iron sights, and I was looking at a fold down rear sight.

A-Sounds like a good idea, get a decent CCO or ACOG knock-off (or original if you have $2,500 lying around) but make sure the flip ups are good quality as well YHM are good. You might want to get a rail or a quad rail grip and put a verticle grip and or a flashlight since these are pretty common and very handy as well.

I do not know everything aobut the M4 because I have been stuck using the M16A2 within my unit. So any input you guys could offer would be awesome.

A-Keep it simple and dont over-buy. You can pick up a great rifle for under a grand.

John Wayne

Tags
build , help with build , m4 carbine