The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

Reasonable priced tactical scope >10x Magnification

Need a range toy scope for the CZ 452 and the accurized m14 to share. I already bought a nice Minox za5 1.5-8x so I wouldnt mind skimping a bit on this one. It doesnt need to have good low light performance at all- just needs to work.

-Adjustable objective(I shoot 22lr from 50-150/200)
- Good enough for the m14 to hit steel out to 500.
- My other optic is lightweight and decent- this one can be as heavy as necessary

Is a budget of $300-$400 reasonable? Should I get a 50 objective?

Looking at the- Vortex diamondback 4-12x40 Adjustable objective

Opinions welcome!
Old February 15, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
frigate88

Leapers makes a pretty good scope for that price range you're in. I got a hold of a Savage 7mm a few years back from a guy and it had a leapers 4-16x50 on it. It actually turned out to be an awesome scope. Was able to take the 7mm out to 800yds pretty well. I just set up a few 2'x2' pieces of plywood I cut and placed them at various ranges between 200 and 800yds and the leapers did the job. The 200yd mark was around a 4" grouping and the 800yd target was a 12" grouping. If I can do that, I'm sure you can. I have very limited exp in shooting long range.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for thier own actions."
****BLEED BLUE, 10-8****
Old February 15, 2013, 01:00 PM   #3
HJ857

Natchez has a great deal on the Millet TRS-1 right now. I have about 200 .308 rounds through one, so my sampling isn't all that great. But it's been solid and repeatable so far.

It's a great deal clearer than my Nikon M223 (3x12), the parallax/side focus knob works properly, it has target turrets that work very well (the Nikon is easier to reset to zero), and is illuminated, though I haven't had a need to use that feature. 4x16x50 with a shade and it's enormous. I paid $293.29 for the scope, Millet medium windage adjustable rings, shipped. Very happy right now. I'll be giddy if it holds up over time, it gets great reviews so I feel reasonably confident.