The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 6, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
kinggabby

The way we decide to carry

I have often on this forum and others as well people saying that they change their CC for different situations .This is something I don't get. How do you know what situation you are going to face? Going from a bad part of town to a good part so you carry something lighter or less ammo. Would it not be better to always be prepared for the worst . I will only use one example as to why changing CC methods is flawed logic. Sharon Tate and the and the others killed by Charles Manson and his so called family. Those killings were in "good neighborhoods". As for me I will carry the same if I were on the bad side of town or good side and even if I am in a Church . That way I not only keep in a rhythm but I always am as prepared as I can possibly be . Just my opinion .
Old March 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
BRE346

I'm with you, KingGabby.

In south Texas here, I don't change my way of dress very often, so there is certainly no need for a different hoster or carry.. If I have to dress up too much I'll have some little gun I've yet to buy.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
BlueTrain

I'd say a carry method would depend on other factors more than the ones mentioned. Let's say you do a lot of driving. No pocket carry for you and you might not like a small of the back carry either. Do a lot of sitting behind a desk? Different methods. Spend lots of time in the woods wit a pack on your back? Even more methods--and be careful you don't lose anything while you're out there.

Personally, because of what I've read here, I no longer attend church because you can never tell what will happen. In fact, because it seems like there's no place more dangerous than home (except church, that is), I stay away from home as much as possible.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
barstoolguru

Everyone sees things different so this is no different. I feel you should carry every day the same way. In a high stress situation you don't want to think about where you are carrying that day. Consistency is the best way to go, find what is comfortable and work it
Old March 6, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
BarryLee

Well, for me the activities that I plan to participate in or the type of dress has a big impact on what I carry. For instance if I am dressing in a more formal manner I carry a LCP instead of a .45 SIG. If I go for a short hike I may carry a small .38, but if I plan to spend time in a more rural area I may pack the 10mm. I suppose I could use the SIG P220 for all situations, but then how could I justify all my other guns?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 6, 2012, 12:11 PM   #6
ClayInTx

I second barstoolguru.

I don’t want to have to think about what is the Carry of the Day if I need my gun.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
icedog88

Activities sure can dictate. Unless you dress the same day in, day out and do the same activities. The last thing I want to do is be in my work clothes or jeans all day, everyday. If I'm lying around on the couch in my sweats, my girl asks me to go to the store, I am not taking sweats off, throwing my jeans with a belt on to carry my 1911. I will slip something in my coat pocket or something light enough where it won't drag my sweats down to "saggin" level!

I shoot pool. Hard to lean over and not to print at 4 o'clock strong side carry. P238 IWB at 2. Many different reasons.

Not sure about the neighborhood references though.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Sefner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Would it not be better to always be prepared for the worst . I will only use one example as to why changing CC methods is flawed logic.
Speaking of flawed logic. Using that logic I would be wearing body armor with trauma plates. But I can't because it's inconvenient and stupid.

If a gun gets uncomfortable or inconvenient to carry there is a risk that a person will stop carrying it due to this. So which would you rather compromise, the convenience and comfort of no extra mags and a smaller caliber or going totally unarmed?

I have two carry guns, one is much more concealable than the other. One is more comfortable for driving. One has more capacity, another is a larger caliber. I practice drawing with both of them. I've never had a problem with this. Having different guns for different situations is totally understandable to me. Now obviously there is a line where this is detrimental, but I don't see a problem.

Quote:
Personally, because of what I've read here, I no longer attend church because you can never tell what will happen. In fact, because it seems like there's no place more dangerous than home (except church, that is), I stay away from home as much as possible.
Hahahaha good show, sir.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:21 PM   #9
kinggabby

Quote:
Speaking of flawed logic. Using that logic I would be wearing body armor with trauma plates. But I can't because it's inconvenient and stupid.

If a gun gets uncomfortable or inconvenient to carry there is a risk that a person will stop carrying it due to this. So which would you rather compromise, the convenience and comfort of no extra mags and a smaller caliber or going totally unarmed?

I have two carry guns, one is much more concealable than the other. One is more comfortable for driving. One has more capacity, another is a larger caliber. I practice drawing with both of them. I've never had a problem with this. Having different guns for different situations is totally understandable to me. Now obviously there is a line where this is detrimental, but I don't see a problem.
I was not talking about changing guns due to comfort but situation. Also people who might change the amount of ammo they might carry due to where in town/city they might go.
Old March 7, 2012, 06:56 AM   #10
BlueTrain

Let me just elaborate here on my earlier comments for just a minute. I was referring only to carry methods or positions, not to different guns. When thinking about this particular thread, I realized that the guns I acquired over the years tended, eventually, to all work the same way and to be pretty much the same size. And when making most of those purchases, I usually thought long and hard about other choices at the same time that were quite different but in the end, selected something not so different from what I already had or previously had owned. What I ended up with isn't so important here so much as the fact that I have apparently settled on a particular form of handgun.

The selection reflects, I suppose, my idea of what I think works best for me and also my idea that you ought to "made do" with it under any circumstances. However, I'll quickly admit that it's more of a subconscious thing than anything else. You just use certain things most of the time and find they work and then you just don't bother with anything else.

The troubling thing is that even so, there are lots of variations on the theme that I haven't tried out yet.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:34 AM   #11
skoro

The way we decide to carry

It's a very individual thing.

Each of us has to assess his situation and prepare accordingly.
Old March 8, 2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Hansam

It definitely is an individual thing. I don't knock those who carry differently depending on their perception of how things will be so long as they carry period.

Personally I carry in the same place every time and all the time. From the first moment I'm dressed I'm carrying and carry till I undress to go to bed. That said I DO change my choice of guns to carry depending on what I'm wearing. In warm weather I go with a smaller gun for easier concealment. In cold weather I've got my 1911 on me all the time.

My reasoning is that I train myself to draw and shoot from the 3 and 4 o'clock positions the most. Every month I put 750 or so rounds through my guns drawing from those positions. I probably put another 250 rounds into my guns drawing from the 9 or 10 o'clock position (cross draw). So then carry in the position(s) I practice most in. I see no reason to stick the gun somewhere else and confuse my muscle memory.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Straightshooter629

It is hard for me to believe that you can carry the same way all of the time. I change my mode of carry based on my mode of dress, and that is dertermined by the activities that I have planned. My work dress is different from my church dress...my casual dress may be different from the way I dress when attending a social function...the way I dress watching a ball game is different than what I wear when I'm fishing. Your mode of carry has to be just as fluid as your choice of activities. When I carry my revolver, it's worn crossdraw, but there are times that I must ankle carry. When I carry my duty weapon, it's carried strong side. Saying that you always carry the same way all the time is like saying you only wear one pair of shoes for all occasions...just my veiwpoint and my opinion.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:41 PM   #14
lefteye

While I generally agree with barstoolguru and ClayInTex, a Clark Long Slide may require different apparel than a Ruger LCP (and one's apparel should be appropriate for one's situation).

Last edited by lefteye; March 12, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Hook686

Quote:
I will only use one example as to why changing CC methods is flawed logic.
I do not think there is anything logical about carry a gun. I think carrying a gun is fear based. Fear ... an emotion. So if it feels good to Carry different equipment under different conditions, and I do so, what is your problem with my doing so ? Do as you choose. Allow me to do so also without throwing some gibberish about, 'Logic'.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Stooge

I'm with you Hook.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Hansam

Quote:
It is hard for me to believe that you can carry the same way all of the time.
Well if you want to split hairs I carry one of two ways all the time. Its either at 3 o'clock OR at 4 o'clock depending on my clothing.

If I'm wearing formals (tuxedo) for a black tie dinner I'm carrying either 3 or 4 depending on how tight my pants are. If I'm going casual and I've got jeans on I've got it at 3 if I'm wearing a sweater or sweatshirt and at 4 if I've just got a light over shirt. Shorts, t-shirt and over shirt gets a smaller gun (Bersa UC 45) at 4 o'clock. If its cold I'm almost always wearing my 1911 at 3 o'clock.

Thus far I haven't found it necessary to diverge from those two carry positions.

Oh and yes I do have multiple pairs of shoes and multiple types of shoes. I don't wear the same shoes for every occasion.
Old March 13, 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

I carry two ways. IWB at 9 o'clock. All carry guns have the same manual of arms, just different sizes. Also I pocket carry a back up gun instead of a reload. Sometimes I just pocket carry for convinence, and comfort. Especialy in the hot summers here. Tripple digit heat, with high humidity take thier toll quickly when you dress around a gun.
Old March 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #19
GlockedNLoded32

I carry a glock 32 in a Theis IWB Holster at the 4 O'Clock position and IWB mag hosleter at 11 o'clock position every time never fails comfortable while driving but i dont keep it holstered while i drive since its kinds hard to draw a firearm from the 4 oclock position when sitting with a seatbelt if i have to
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old March 13, 2012, 03:18 PM   #20
Grant D

I started carrying a LCP in a ankle holster,but now carry it in a pocket holster in my hip pocket.That's on hot days in South Texas.If I'm wearing a loose shirt or shirt untucked I also carry, along with the LCP, one of five subbies or one of three 1911's at the eight o'clock position in a OWB holster,but who knows that may change also.I'm not so old that I forget what I'm carrying though.I hit what I'm shooting at with all my pistols, I practic practice practice.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:40 PM   #21
miconoakisland

My carry methods have evolved over the last 15 years as my experience with handguns has evolved.

First it was big, reliable with decocker for a safety (Ruger P95).

Then it was smaller with a manual safety (Bersa Firestorm 380, among others of this type).

Then bigger caliber with no manual safety (XD40).

Then smaller with no safety (Kel Tec P3AT).

Then bigger caliber, not as big as .40 though, no safety, smaller package (Glock 26).

I've sold/traded all pistols with manual safeties and only have P3AT as a always on my person (running out to store/bathrobe/beltless/church/fine dining), G26 as always on with belt (except church/fine dining) and XD40 (travelling/between console & carseat/open carry when urge hits me/nightstand).

All 3 function exactly the same--point and shoot.

I don't adjust what I carry to what I may encounter in terms of threats--that's just a lotto/crapshoot--I carry what I can when I can where I can and how I can.

I may be in a tailored suit, shorts and t-shirt, khakis and polo, or buck naked in a bathrobe depending on whats called for at the time, but I'm always armed, comfortable and comforted.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:36 AM   #22
Ryder

Transportation of a loaded firearm in an vehicle is concealed carry here. Vehicles are be the method I use to travel through danger zones. While I rarely go to such places the need does arise on occasion and you can bet I'm hauling along some serious backup artillery.
Old March 15, 2012, 02:24 PM   #23
Deja vu

I am a social worker and I have to dress up and down depending on the situation. When I am at the Office I have to wear shirt/slacks and tie. When I am in the field I don't want to ruin my nice clothing so I wear Blue Jeans (or shorts in the summer) and a t-shirt and a loose unbuttoned shirt over that.

My primary CC weapon (S&W 640 in 357 magnum) is always carried the very same way. In the front right pocket. The only time I don't have this gun is when I am at the gym, it is too big and heavy for work out clothing. My back up is a 22short NAA mini that I wear on a neclase around my neck (It hides very well like that). I don't know how useful it would be but It is better than nothing I guess.

If I am going to a bad area (frequent) I put on a shoulder holster with my Coonan Classic, in addition to my J-frame.

Unless I am at the gym the J-frame is all ways carried the same (in the pocket)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 16, 2012, 04:17 PM   #24
Vermonter

Let Reality Dictate

Ok,
When I am in tie and sport coat (not often) I have to pocket carry and LCP if I want a gun on me. The coat would be a great concealer however it never stays on all day and night therefore LCP it is.

Most days OWB G27 or OWB Charter .38

Basically my daily attire has to dictate what I can and cannot carry. As for the whole lounge cloths to pants and a belt thing I always wear my daily work cloths when I leave the house. I don't go to the store wearing sweats or anything of that nature. My Job requires me to be ready to answer a call and go out in a hurry therefore the work cloths are always close at hand.

There is no way the same setup can work for every activity that just wouldn't make any sense.

Regards, Vermonter.
Old March 16, 2012, 09:55 PM   #25
TenRing

I think it is flawed logic to not understand that different situations, venues and clothing call for different concealed handguns. If you use a "one size fits all" solution then you are going to be suboptimal in some cases you will be carrying too much in some other cases. It is a judgment call.

If I'm wearing a large winter jacket, I can conceal any handgun. But if I'm wearing slacks and a business shirt and tie in the heat of summer, I will need a small deeply concealed handgun.

This is no different than wearing different shoes for different occasions. You aren't going to wear your tuxedo shoes while mowing the lawn and you probably won't go to the beach on the 4th of July wearing snowmobile boots.