The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 10, 2015, 02:14 PM   #1
chrisintexas

softest feeling, highest NRR rated shooting ear muffs?

softest feeling so they don't feel uncomfortable when wearing for long periods.
please suggest. thanks
Old July 10, 2015, 05:00 PM   #2
AK103K

Howard Leight "Max" (Max-1/330116) Rated 33 db. I use them for work, and you can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

I usually have a couple of pairs in my pocket, as well as in my range box, and on a number of guns.

I get them from one of the "safety" supply houses, and by them in bulk.
Old July 10, 2015, 05:23 PM   #3
dyl

AK, Were those ear plugs or ear muffs you were talking talking about? You've got some big pockets if they are muffs!

I know this is off topic a little bit, but have you ever tried ear muffs and ear plugs underneath? Even with the ear plugs loosely put in, it makes a noticeable difference to me, and makes fighting flinch that much easier.
Old July 10, 2015, 05:27 PM   #4
AK103K

Those are plugs. I dont normally wear muffs, as they interfere with shouldering/shooting a rifle.

The only time Ive worn both, was when we go to Knob Creeks shoot. Not that it probably even matters, as your whole body is vibrating to the constant din.
Old July 10, 2015, 05:32 PM   #5
dyl

Well you know I have seen guys with *very tactical cargo ship pockets so I wasn't sure.

I don't know about specific models unfortunately, as I only have been using Howard Leight low profile. Low profile muffs in my mind are not typically as sound insulating. Also I've taken them apart and aside from the circuitry there was substantial hollow space that as an experiment I inserted some thin layers of dense foam.