The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 1, 2011, 02:54 PM   #76
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Had a cow or two charge me, but they're fairly easy to dodge.

Got run over and bitten by a crazy horse, years back. Upper jaw above my shoulder and I still have a tiny scar from a lower tooth cut near the top of my bicep. The worst part was being knocked down into a bunch of tennis-ball-sized rocks--which did a bunch of bone-bruising on my pelvis.
Old March 2, 2011, 07:11 PM   #77
aaalaska

BigBob now days if you shot a grizz in that area ,they would throw a party. Been no closed season and one a year, even no tag required for residents.Been that way for a few years now.
Alex
Old March 12, 2011, 07:08 AM   #78
BigBob3006

aaalaska,

It's beautiful rolling country but that brush can be difficult to get through.
No closed season. I thought I might end up in jail but the game wardens were nice men to deal with. Once they followed my tracks and worked it out, they couldn't have been nicer. There was a common bit of wisdom going around when I lived there. Get lost, have no idea where you are, haven't seen anyone for a week, kill a cow moose, fish and game will find you. I would like to have seen it one more time.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:14 AM   #79
aaalaska

Yes it is great country ,but like you said a bit rough going. I've hunted caribou there ,and had chances at bears ,just never saw one I wanted in the area.
Alex
Old March 17, 2011, 07:57 AM   #80
mquail

About 20 yrs ago I was almost run over by a big whitetailed buck. My hobby is falconry so while doing my thing my tiercel (male) peregrine caught a Hungarian partridge a few feet in from the edge of a cornfield. That was cool and, as usual, I ran to get close to him so no other predator would make a meal of him. I'm trotting along when I almost stepped on a buck who ran down a corn row. The other end of the field was being picked so he must have been spooked by the combine too. A few moments later I see and hear something thundering towards me in the row I was standing in. So I shouted and waved my arm. That deer was coming full speed at me and didn't bother to change lanes. So I reached down picked up the tiercel and stepped into the next row. The buck kept right on coming and passed so close I could have slapped him.

Last edited by mquail; March 18, 2011 at 01:21 PM.