The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2006, 04:39 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Warthog V-Sharp Knife Sharpener

Anyone have one, or have anything good/bad to say about them?

Saw one demonstrated at a gunshow this weekend, and they seem like they should work very well, and very quickly, and not require any skill to use, but couldn't quite shell out the $88 asking price:

http://www.warthogsharp.com/products.php?CategoryID=1
Old May 22, 2006, 12:57 AM   #2
slicers63

I have one. Bought it at the Shot Show 3 years ago. I think that I paid $59 for it.

It is the only sharpener that I have found that really works on hard stainless steel. It is simple to used, just like demostrated. My knives were always dull before buying the warthog. I use it for kitchen knives and pocket knives. It doesn't work on thick hunting knives. Once the knives are sharp it is easy to touch them up and keep them sharp. My wife now complaines how sharp the knives are. I wouldn't be without one.
Old May 22, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

sounds good, but why won't it do thicker knives? How thick is too thick?
Old May 23, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4
slicers63

The slot that the knife slides down is only so wide. I will check the wibth tomorrow and let you know max wibth.
Old July 7, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5
sharp guy

V-Sharp Works Great!!!

in reference to your blade guide width, i have the new model which now has adjustable blade guides that open up to 5/8 of an inch. if your blade is thicker than that, you are probably trying to sharpen an axe (which you would want to use a grinder).
the simplicity of this machine is amazing. i can sharpen even the hardest steel knives in my kitchen or hunting cabin in less than 2 minutes for each knife-regardless of how dull it is. the diamond rods are adjustable to 3 different degrees-17,20 or 25.
i was skeptical when i purchased the product for $90 at a trade show, but when i got it home and was able to do all 30 knives in my kitchen in less than an hour-i soon realized the value of this tool. EVERY KITCHEN SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!
also, they have a great website www.WarthogSharp.com to purchase additional rods or accessories.
they do not sell from the site, but you can fill out a form to order one and they will contact you for your billing info. hope that helps
Old July 7, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

A whetstone is much cheaper, and just aseasy to use!
Bill
Old January 7, 2010, 04:12 AM   #7
devroy

sharpe knife

hi
i hope we can help you.
because i read your text as show in up i know what you want .I've got it and I agree.i tell you about bowie knife blade . I have several pictures with sticky notes attached we required these kind of bowie knife. The blade, as later described by Rezin Bowie, was 9.5 inches (24 cm) long, 0.25 inches (0.64 cm) thick and 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) wide.i think you like it. its very sharpe.
i hope it helps you.
thanks