The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 5, 2014, 10:05 AM   #1
fishhead1

Correct Ball Diam/Powder Charge For Lyman .44 Cal New Army

Have a nicely maintained Lyman .44 Cal Remington Army replica piece that has not been fired in years. However, would like to start shooting it again; and have been collecting necessary powder, balls etc. Also, have been reading more recent info on shooting black powder pieces, which brings me to my question. An older Lyman Reloading Handbook, 44th Edition, recommends a .451" ball with 39 grs Dupont FFFG Black Powder (Vel. 995 fps). However, recent data and forum discussions I have read recommend a .454" Dia ball for .44 Cal pistols. So, which diameter ball would be best for my Lyman?
Also, have only been able to obtain Hodgdon Pyrodex P (FFFG Equivalent) instead of actual Black Powder. Am a little confused reading up on this powder as to how it relates to actual Black Powder charge-wise (do to powder density etc). What would be a good charge range for the Hodgdon P powder as compared to regular Black Powder? Any thoughts?
Old July 5, 2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Hawg

Pyrodex is a straight across sub for bp by volume. I use 30 grains and a .454 ball.
Old July 5, 2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Bootsie

Regarding the ball dia I suggest you measure the chamber dias - x fingers they are all about the same - and purchase balls that have a dia ca. .004 bigger than the chambers' dia.
The assumption being that the chambers' dia is adjusted to the rifling groove dia.
If that is not the case i.e. the chambers' dia is smaller than the rifling groove dia - which is often the case with Italian clones - for optimal accuracy it is proposed that you first have the chambers adjusted by a knowledgeable gunsmith.
Long Johns Wolf
Old July 5, 2014, 11:36 AM   #4
mykeal

Two thoughts:

1) The ball will be swaged down to the cylinder diameter when it's loaded. The only consideration in this regard is that the ball be larger than the chamber diameter (but not so large it takes a large force to load it) - it's going to be the chamber diameter when it comes out, regardless of what it's diameter was before it was loaded. The measure of success is that there be a small ring of lead cut off the ball during loading. A .451 ball may not be large enough for that to happen, but if it is, go with it. If not, try a .454.

2) Long John's Wolf is sadly correct about the Italian replicas often having chambers smaller than the bore groove diameter. This condition will considerably degrade the gun's accuracy. Reaming the chambers to be .02 to .04 larger than the groove-to-groove bore diameter is the solution. The ball's initial diameter has nothing to do with this problem or it's corrective action.
Old July 5, 2014, 07:15 PM   #5
fishhead1

Very good inputs. Thanks, guys.