The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1
TheGoldenState

What's that saying about Owls and their….

….stuff….it's slick right?

For all guns, I clean with Hoppes #9 and oil everything with remoil.

That's it.

I forgot to oil one of my autos at a range trip awhile back and was having issues. An older RM offered me a dab of his S.T.O.S (Slicker Than Owl ****) grease for the rails. Ran smooth as butter.

So atop from Hoppes and remoil, I am thinking of also adding on a little grease to the rails. Anyone do this? I have read a few things that say grease combines with powder residue can/will gum up the gun.

Anyone out there use STOS, and if so, what is your take and more importantly where can I find a reliable online retailer for it (harder than you might think)?
Old December 16, 2011, 06:51 PM   #2
BarryLee

I use Enos’s Slide-Glide that I get from Brownells. As for "gumming up" I suspect that could happen if you do not clean you gun, but remember you only use a small amount of grease.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...ARMS-LUBRICANT
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 16, 2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Microgunner

I use RIG grease on all my autos.
Old December 16, 2011, 07:04 PM   #4
TheGoldenState

Never heard of either as i've never greased, but i'll check out both those, thanks!
Old December 16, 2011, 07:27 PM   #5
PawPaw

I use white lithium grease on my semi-auto rails. Bought a tube at Auto-Zone several years ago and still have most of it. It doesn't take much. Lasts a long time.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 17, 2011, 11:27 PM   #6
compglock17

The following is just MHO!
I only use grease on my O/U shotguns. For autos, the grease traps dirt and grime and can not only gum up but also turns into a rubbing compound. Oil is designed to move dirt (think engine oil) while grease will trap it. Maybe not a big deal but I'm worried about messing up tolerances. But, I'm also that guy who never uses solvents, except for the bore, because it strips all the oil out of the pores of the metal. I clean and lube with a QUALITY CLP and have never had trouble.
Old December 18, 2011, 12:20 AM   #7
ZEBRARANGER

I too use Rig grease, just a very small amount on the slide rails. Friction does cause wear over a period of time. If you clean your guns, grease is not a problem.
Old December 25, 2011, 02:55 AM   #8
r_magill

I use Slipstream oil and grease. Grease can get gummed up with a lot of shooting, but I have found that it makes my firearms run a lot smoother.

Also, in any given range session, I don't shoot enough from any one particular firearm for the grease to catch enough residue to cause a problem. In my particular case, grease adds a lot with little - if any - negative results.