The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 13, 2010, 07:05 PM   #26
Katophract

Used the M4 for a year in the Sandbox. Cant say I'm a fan. I came home and bought in AK. (though I do love that magpul furniture...) Besides, J&G has AK's for like $350. That's hard to argue with. You could get an AR lower for that price.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:17 PM   #27
FoxtrotRomeo

I have two Kalashnikovs. I've researched just about everything I can about them. Nice thing is, there is always more to learn.

I own a Romanian one with an underfolding stock. Once dialed in, it's surprisingly accurate.

I want a Serbian M70 though. Why? It's a hybrid of two Kalashnikov designs. The standard AK (similar to the Romanian I have and multiple others all over the Warsaw Pact and the Type 56s used by China and the Vietcong/NVA in Nam) and the RPK, the AKs LMG brother.

What's the difference? Slightly thicker stamped receiver (kinna like the Type 56s being thicker), thicker front trunnion for longer durations of fire (RPK style trunnion) and a thicker barrel (basically a shortened down RPK Barrel) for again, longer durations of firing.

The fun part of the AK? You can dial the irons in for 100 and for longer or shorter ranges slide the sight up or down and keep going. My AR won't adjust on the fly like that which is why my red dot is set at 100 and my irons for anything closer.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:25 PM   #28
davebob

Saiga

Be very careful. I bought an Arsenal Saiga AK only to find out it takes special mags (expensive) and not the "regular" AK mags. Bummer as it was expensive but well made.
Old August 13, 2010, 09:35 PM   #29
BIG P

SAIGA 308 lots of gun for the money with a few add ons for personal use OH BOY its fun/handy/it works
Old August 13, 2010, 09:57 PM   #30
dean1818

VZ 58... no questions
Old August 13, 2010, 10:12 PM   #31
Teirst

As for as the Saiga I do feel the mags are the biggest thing to detract you from going that route. Although I have heard of ways to modify AK mags to fit the saiga
Old August 13, 2010, 11:52 PM   #32
raftman

Quote:
VZ 58... no questions
Unless you don't like crap all over your hands.

Tags
7.62 , 7.62x39 , ak-47