The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 28, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
MikeGoob

ATF busts shipment of airsoft guns--said they can be converted to machine guns?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEuTwYALho

ATF said they did tests to verify they could be converted to "Military grade weapons" ??

Is this true?
Old February 28, 2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Are you questioning whether or not the News Team is real, or what? What is it that you didn't understand about the news cast?
Old February 28, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
MikeGoob

It seems ludicrous to suggest that a plastic gun can be made to shoot bullets (or full auto). Or for that to be a reason to confiscate them. Ive seen these toys before, are they that dangerous?
Old February 28, 2010, 04:31 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

would be nice if you could convert one into a real gun.... i would have saved aprox 1100 bucks on my Deagle by getting the plastic one and coverting it..
Old February 28, 2010, 04:41 PM   #5
noyes

Haaaa Haaaaaa

Some agents are going to need reconstructive facial surgery if they try Real ammo in those............
Old February 28, 2010, 04:46 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Absolute rubbish on the part of our friend at the office of fine party materials...There is no likelihood that those guns are built with upper and lower that have AR type attaching points.

Even less likely that the barrel would handle the pressures of powder discharge. Nor would any other component.

Did I mention that these guns are are designed to take a plastic ball and hurl it out the barrel?

Does anyone else doubt that they have a chamber suited to even take a .223/5.56 cartridge? Go ahead and machine one to do this and fire it... Lemme know how that works for you or have your next of kin come on here and post the results...

On second thought, I think the Taiwanese shops have just found a way to put AR15/M-16's into our hands at a drastically reduced price. This is gonna put a bunch of American rifle makers out o' bidnezz.
I need to order me one... Finally an AR even my uneducated redneck butt can afford. Now to find affordable ammo for my new lead slinger!
Brent
Old February 28, 2010, 05:08 PM   #7
stargazer65

These dangerous weapons have reaked much havoc on soldiers, just ask this guy:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toy-Soldier-Posters.jpg (19.8 KB, 676 views)
Old February 28, 2010, 05:32 PM   #8
highvel

It's been a slow year at the ATF too!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 28, 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Another point of note was the fact that the "party favors" agent said "military grade weapon" did ya'll know beer burns the sinus and nasal region pretty bad when it is ejected at high velocity when hearing such statements about Taiwanese toys?

I bet the goobermint could save loads of dough by buying these and converting them for our folks in the desert!
Brent
Old February 28, 2010, 06:13 PM   #10
noyes

ATF Agent shoots himself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uADb3NyYlSA
Old February 28, 2010, 06:27 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes that vid has been around for quite a few years but with so many copies on the www. why pick the one posted by "aryanbrother"? With the whole "talk about killin' 2 birds with one stone" thing?
Brent
Old February 28, 2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Hey, stargazer65!

Careful you don't let your kid take that guy to school, or he'll have a criminal record for life!
Old February 28, 2010, 07:01 PM   #13
KLRANGL

Actually guys....

I have been big into airsoft for a number of years, and they have these new rifles coming out lately that use a gas blowback (GBB) mechanism. These GBB M4s have internal parts that are almost identical to a real M4. Now the airsoft upper wouldn't be able to fire real ammunition, but I am wondering if it is possible that a real AR upper could be modified to fit the airsoft lower receiver with a full auto control group... Watch the following vid, and tell me it doesn't look just like a real M4 lower...

The relevant part is at 0:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7xOJM_zss

Now this news story apparently happened a year ago, so I'm thinking that if there were any real concerns with a conversion, we'd all know about it by now...

Last edited by KLRANGL; February 28, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old February 28, 2010, 09:15 PM   #14
highvel

That does look like everything was there and in maybe the right place!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 28, 2010, 11:23 PM   #15
azredhawk44

Yup, my first thought was that the lower was precisely enough made that a real upper could be put on. I initially just thought "unserialed, untraceable AR" but someone else here made the leap to full-auto capability as well.
Old March 1, 2010, 05:51 PM   #16
markj

Quote:
Careful you don't let your kid take that guy to school, or he'll have a criminal record for life!
Not in our schools. My son used army guys like that on his valentine box he is 7, he had the theme "Act of love" and his cousin just got back from Iraq (Marine) so he used this theme and I was kinda thinking he may get in trouble but not a bit. Thank God for Iowa country schools some folks do have common sense...

Funny bout them air soft guns.
Old March 2, 2010, 01:44 AM   #17
C Philip

Confiscating something due to its potential to become illegal doesn't make any sense whatsoever. That would be like raiding the shoe store since all those shoe laces could be made into machine guns . Or impounding cars that were capable of speeding, arresting women because they could be converted into prostitutes, or raiding grocery stores and hardware stores for selling materials you could use to cook an illegal drug or make an explosive device, etc. I don't think this would hold up in court if the owner of the shipment pursued the issue.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:05 AM   #18
stargazer65

Quote:
Not an issue in our school either. Toy soldiers are fine. Our teachers are encouraged to open or concealed carry, and sometimes the students take firearm safety and appreciation class where they can bring their own guns.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:11 AM   #19
rattletrap1970

Stargazer65,

I live in Connecticut and was wondering, when you say the teachers are encouraged to open and concealed carry, do you mean at school? Or in their private lives? I was under the belief that guns were not allowed on school property.
Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to see shooting sports, firearm safety, and appreciation of firearms brought back to schools. Or did I miss some sarcasm there and you Home School?
Old March 2, 2010, 07:22 AM   #20
stargazer65

^
Yes, I was being sarcastic because we homeschool. You are correct that guns are not allowed on school property. Hopefully no confusion created on my part.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:36 AM   #21
rattletrap1970

LOL, yeah I figured (after I asked the question, little slow on the uptake with so little coffee in me yet).
Old March 2, 2010, 08:05 AM   #22
alloy

Those cwazy Tiawanese...flooding our country with unserialed full auto lowers of our own design, at a competitive airsoft price point.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:35 PM   #23
scud

it would take almost a entire new gun thing to render a airsoft gun into a working model that would fire live ammo.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:50 PM   #24
KLRANGL

Quote:
it would take almost a entire new gun thing to render a airsoft gun into a working model that would fire live ammo.
With respect to an AEG, you are correct. But with a GBB rifle, at face value you are not.

But....

I did see this on the retailer-in-question's website, I found this new release by them:
http://airsoftoutletnw.com/index.php...-Standard.html
Quote:
Now we at Airsoft Outlet Northwest, being the rational individuals we are, went out and had a gunsmith check the true compatibility of these replicas and found the following information:

* The WE TTI M4's lack any sort of functional gas tube which is integral to an AR15's operation
* The upper receiver of an AR15 fits onto the lower of the WE TTI M4
* The stock trigger pack in the WE TTI cannot strike the firing pin of a AR15 bolt

* The body of the WE TTI lower is several mils thinner than an AR15 lower, and shims would be needed for any AR trigger pack to work
* The trigger pack of an AR15 appears to be able to fit onto the lower receiver of a WE TTI M4, one of the AR15 trigger pack retaining pins is impossible to insert without major modification, and the hammer isn't operable with the WE TTI lower.

So essentially these Airsoft replicas cannot even operate an AR15 trigger pack without heavy modification with a precise tooling system operated by someone who knows the specific measurements to drill and tap the WE TTI lower receiver.

To me this doesn't sound like it's feasible within "a short period of time".
So apparently it is not as easy as it appears at face value to convert a GBB M4 lower to function a real steal M4 upper
Old March 2, 2010, 04:51 PM   #25
GunsAreGood

The only way I can believe that it would convert is to put a real upper on a toy lower. Even so I would not be the one standing behind it pulling the trigger.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns