The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Crimp

Safe warning

With the grandkids coming for Christmas, I picked up a Sentry 1.2 cu ft safe for storing a few handguns. Strangely, there's a warning in the instruction manual (yes, I RTFM ) that says:

Quote:
This product is not intended for the secure storage of all materials. Items such as firearms, combustible materials or medication should not be stored in this unit.
I'm wondering [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Let alone firearms, this wouldn't even allow the storage of important papers!

Any insight? A Litigation CYA warning?

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old December 7, 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
a1abdj

By combustible materials, they are probably referring to flamable liquids and chemicals. Paperwork is fine.

Safes are like tools. You use a hammer for a nail, and a screwdriver for a screw. What you have is a document safe, and that's what it is designed for. The problem with document safes is that the insulation is moist and designed to produce steam during a fire. This moisture will rust a firearm, and will even rust out the safe (which is why your Sentry safe is half plastic). The Sentry will not meet the CA DOJ requirements either, as it's basically a fireproof box with a privacy lock, and offers very little security.

For guns, you need to look at an all steel safe, a steel safe with gypsum board fire liner, or a true composite safe. Sentry does have some all steel safes, and I think they even have one with the gypsum board. Everything that Sentry makes is going to be on the low end of the spectrum as far as safes are concerned. Great for smash and grab and children, but don't count on them for any real security. They do make a good fireproof product for the price.
Old December 7, 2007, 10:14 PM   #3
john_55

Some safes are designed to be sealed shut, therefore they retain some moisture, so things such as firearms, papers, and medication get ruined in them. The cheap sentry fireproof safe retain moisture.
Old December 7, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Crimp

Thanks for the replies and information.

Since I already have this "document safe," and am certain it's secure enough to keep handguns away from the grandkids, I'll use it for a gun safe over Christmas.

It appears to be totally wrapped in plastic inside. I don't understand why it would be wet, even if it has wet insulation between the liner and steel casing. But, to be safe, between now and their visit, I'll dig up a few bags of dessicant to throw in with the handguns.

West Virginians: Consider joining the West Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Old December 8, 2007, 01:32 AM   #5
saands

I have read that same warning ... I assumed that it had to do with the fact that the safe was not secure enough to pass muster with some laws in some places (like CA, MA, NY, NJ, etc) and therefore they were recommending against its use in that capacity.

Saands
Old December 10, 2007, 01:10 AM   #6
BobK

Some of the material used in fire safes create thier own moisture.

I've opened and repaired/threw away more Sentry safes than I can remember. Do yourself a favor and buy American made.