The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 16, 2000, 11:05 AM   #1
Glamdring

I would like to find out what calibers/loads people have actually used to take dangerous game with. I am guessing that the 375 H&H and 458 Win are the most used calibers with factory ammo. With the 416 Rem & Rigby running a distance 3rd & 4th place and almost no one using anything else. But maybe I am wrong and some of you have used more interesting calibers?
Old December 16, 2000, 11:55 AM   #2
Paul B.

Glamdring. I suppose "dangerous" game should be qualified. I'm sure you mean critters like the big five of Africa, but other animals can be dangerous as well. On a church camping trip, a woman was attacked by a black bear. The only gun in the camp was my 38-44 Outdoorsman, a forerunner to the .357 Magnum, shooting a load that would be a bit hotter than +P+. Two quick ones behind the ear. One dead bear. BTW, the woman required over 100 stitches in her leg. Just a small 150 pound black bear, but dangerous all the same.
Paul B.
Old December 16, 2000, 12:59 PM   #3
bou3

Ive never been to africa, so those DG are out. In AK, the most DG I hunt is the black bear. I dont really have any interest in shooting a brown/griz, but I do plan for the worse. I always pick up a brown bear tag and carry a 458Lott w/500gr hornadies, a 45/70 w/400gr cast, or a 338 w/250gr X's.
If I run into a really nice brownie and its legal, I'll probably drop it, but I'm not gonna go out solely for them.
Old December 16, 2000, 01:40 PM   #4
Glamdring

bou3: 500 grain hornady fmj's or softs?

Paul B: To me dangerous game would be big bears, african lion, buff, elephant, rhino, and tigers. I know that the last two probably are not legal game animals any more. Thought they are probably still shot for control and such from time to time.
Old December 16, 2000, 01:59 PM   #5
bou3

500gr softs in front of 87gr of RE15. If I ever make it to Africa, this is the gun I would probaby take.
Old December 16, 2000, 02:49 PM   #6
BadMedicine

What about mountain lion?? They're planty dangerous, expecially when wounded or hungry. How about moose? They trample people up here (AK) every year, and can be some tough costumers during the rut when they're horny and territorial. Bears I would consider too, and maybe wolverines up here. I don't have any personal stories about shooting these critters, but a friend told us about shooting a wolverine.
It crossed the road in front of him and stopped and hissed when he got out. He shot it in the gut the first shot, and it started running towards him. He was hunting bear and had his .44 which he shot it with, and his .338 in the truck, he didn't want to shoot it with that, because of fur damage. His second shot from the .44 took out a front leg. It kept pushing and dragging itself toward him, he was getting worried, this thing meant death!! so he shot it with his .338. He skinned it and was surprised that the .44 hole through the gut made a bigger mess than the .338, but that was the one that finally put it down. I've heard that wolverines weren't afraid of anything, but I didn't believe it till he was telling me about it. He got a rug made out of it, and it looks pretty good now.
Old December 16, 2000, 07:53 PM   #7
swampgator

Most Dangerous?

My Wife!

Used cunning and guile and lots of personality! LOL!

Gator
Old December 16, 2000, 07:57 PM   #8
Zorro

Quote:
Paul B: To me dangerous game would be big bears, african lion, buff, elephant, rhino, and tigers. I know that the last two probably are not legal game animals any more. Thought they are probably still shot for control and such from time to time.
You forgot Hippo and Crocodile.

Probably the most dangerous thing in the lower 48 is a dog pack. For that a quick rifle like a marlin lever action.

Old December 16, 2000, 10:42 PM   #9
MountainGun44

I still believe that pound for pound the most dangerous animal on earth is the Grey Squirrel. I have stopped several in the middle of a charge with .22 caliber rimfire rifles. Anything but a head shot should be considered risky because of the tremendous power of these animal's hind legs.
Old December 17, 2000, 04:55 AM   #10
Glamdring

Hippo I would count if you hunt them in the water without a boat

Crocs, Cougars, and Leopards are not dangerous game IMO. You could safely hunt those three with low end deer cartridges with no problem and no need for a backup gunner.
Old December 17, 2000, 08:48 AM   #11
45King

What about pigs? Not the little javelinas of the Southwest (although they can be nasty enough,) but the big Russian boar/domestic pig crossbreeds?
300-450 lbs of pig w/3" razor sharp tusks coming at you through the thick bush found in southern swamps can get the adrenaline pumping almost as much as some of the other game mentioned.

Freedom is a consequence of the exercising of rights.
Old December 17, 2000, 09:23 AM   #12
Thibault

Well...
I suppose this is not for everybody, but in the 20's, if I recall correctly, there's a missionary in India that shot a man-eating tiger with a 22 Savage... History says the bullet entered the stomach and caused massive hydrostatic shock that killed the critter... I wouldn't want to have this guy for a hunting partner...
Seriously, if I would hunt anything in North America or beyond, something like a 35 Whelan would fill the ticket nicely, but falling short of the big 5, grizzly or polar bear... For those, I have to admit my ignorance, but I'd take something big and bad!
Old December 17, 2000, 09:33 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Driftin' OT a bit...

45King, I have a bit of a problem in worrying about javelinas. I think most of the "attack" stories come from events like one of mine: I walked into the middle of a bunch of them, mid-day while they were resting. They all panicked and ran, all in the same direction. I had a couple of them run darned near between my legs, but they weren't "charging". They're so near-sighted they can't see well enough to make a deliberate charge.

You can ease along quietly with a bunch of them, within ten yards or so, if you have the wind in your favor. If you don't make sudden motions or any noise, they'll never notice you.

I grabbed a baby pigelina one day; he squealed, Momma popped her jaws a lot, and the rest of the bunch ran off. When I put piggy back on the ground, Piggy and Momma left in a hurry...

They are definitely territorial, and make good "watch pigs", as a census taker found out, here.

Tasty, real tasty, too...

, Art
Old December 17, 2000, 09:42 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

.22 Savage Hi-Power

Thibault, I remember that story. I think it was a case of a fella using what was available, as opposed as "the" choice for a tiger hunt...

That old Hi-Power deserved its name, given the era: It could drive a 45-grain bullet to 3,800 ft/sec; a 55-grain bullet to 3,300 ft/sec, and a 63-grain bullet to 3,100 ft/sec. Doggoned good, for 100 years ago!

The Model 1899 Savage was developed specifically for this cartridge. It was only later that it was chambered for the .250-3000 and the .300 Savage.

FWIW, Art
Old December 17, 2000, 11:55 AM   #15
Paul B.

Glamdring. If you check the records, more people have been killed and eaten by Black Bears in this country that all the attacks by Brown and Grizzlies combined. We had an incident here in southern AZ about two years ago, where a lovely 15 year old girl was attacked in her tent and was being dragged out into the woods when the camp counselor shot it three times with his .44 Magnum revolver, causing the bear to let go and run off. Fish and Game officers tracked the bear down and finally killed it.
When I go hiking in those mountains, I always carry a heavy handgun due to harassment by bears. I have not had to shoot one yet, and I hope I don't have to, but nontheless, the problem exists. So yes. I consider the Black Bear dangerous game.
Paul B.
Old December 17, 2000, 06:58 PM   #16
Speedy

Glamdring

I've never had to take a dangerous game animal yet, but the time may come. I work in the logging industry and with the increase in Black Bear and Cougar in our area, the peaceful encounters may become nasty before long. I spend a lot of time walking in the woods looking at jobs, all alone. It's just a matter of time. There's getting to be a bear behind every tree around here and the cats are losing their fear of people since they outlawed hound hunting. Had a cat giving me a look-see a month ago. As soon as I saw it, it took off. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up!

Oh, I carry a cut-down Marlin 1895SS ( Wild West Guns Co-pilot) in 45-70 with either some 405 gr Kodiak Flat point FMJ solids or Garrett's 530 grain hammerheads. Either will shoot through any living thing and leave a BIG hole doing it. I carry it in a Nimrod back-pack scabbard. Really works slick. Sometimes I'll carry a Marlin .44 carbine or occassionly a 1911. Mostly the 45-70.

Zorro is entirely correct on one thing. The most dangerous thing a person is likely to come up against is a pack of feral dogs. It's the only thing that ever "treed" me. Kept me there for 45 minutes. Never left the truck without a gun after that.

http://www.wildwestguns.com
http://www.garrettcartridges.com
http://www.nimrodpacksystems.com

Rick

I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles.
Old December 17, 2000, 07:39 PM   #17
BadMedicine

Oh, common Art!!

Not the ol' "I picked up a piglet and the momma popped her jaws" story again?? hehe, that's gotta be the third time I've heard it
Old December 18, 2000, 12:20 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, now, Bad Medicine, my father said that *he* had done it, so naturally, anything he said he had done and gotten away with, I wuz gonna try. And after all, would my father lie to me?*

So, I did.

He wuz right--they behave just as he said, just as I just told ya.

Don't reckon I'd try that, with some of the feral hogs I've seen. But ain't bear cubs cute?

, Art

*In a heartbeat. Although, come to think of it, he might have said, "Well, what you can do, is..."
Old December 18, 2000, 03:32 AM   #19
BadMedicine

...four
Old December 18, 2000, 07:29 AM   #20
dreadnaught

I had to use four rounds from a Winchester 1300 Defender and six rounds from my Smith and Wesson I was carrying as a backup when it became necessary to defend myself against a wounded and enraged...........wait for it.......squirrel.
Old December 18, 2000, 01:59 PM   #21
RobCon

Leopard hunting is extremely hazardous in my experience( 3 safaris.) I haven't needed a second shot but I wouldn't hunt them with deer calibers.I have taken several buff with .470 Nitro (500 A-Square solids)and one with .375H&H (300 Swift A-frame.)I use the .375H&H with the 300 Nosler on leopard. The hippo is most deadly when afoot, not in the water. I have carried the .416 Rigby when in hippo country and used it on eland. They are huge but not dangerous. In Rhodesia .375 is minimum for eland,jumbo,lion,buff and white rhino.Yes I know it is Zimbabwe now, I am being politically incorrect. The thing to remember in Africa is that one never knows what one will encounter when bounding through the bush.
Old December 22, 2000, 04:27 PM   #22
416Rigby

I never know what kind of game I am going to encounter, wherever or whenever I hunt. Any animal weighing over 150lbs, when in the wrong frame of mind, can become bellicose and dangerous. For this, as well as other reasons (such as unpredictable, difficult shots), I hunt with a .375H&H loaded with 300-grain softpoints - always.

In Africa, dangerous game is encountered most often, whether they be part of the big 5 or just some other cantankerous critters such as hippo, croc or zebra, who decide they don't like the cut of your suit. And the overwhelming choice among African professional hunters is the .375H&H, both as a personal choice and as a recommendation to clients.

A friend of mine and prominent South African Bwana has explained to me that the .375, unlike the 416s and the 458, is very easy to shoot by the average hunter, and is less likely to cause a nervous client to flinch when the chips are down. He therefore prefers to see his clients armed with the old H&H than with any of the more modern and potent fodder such as the Weatherbys.

Even Craig Boddington, possibly the most literate of modern-day experienced hunters, has tallied the .375H&H as by far the most recommended cartridge for anything larger than medium plains game in his must-read tome Safari Rifles (Safari Press, Long Beach CA, 1990).

In my less rembunctious years, I have come to lay down the old .416 in favor of the .375, which I would not hesitate using on any game on Earth. I have come to learn to place my shots with surgical precision (as far as it's possible) and the gentle shove of my 9 1/2-lbs rifle has become second nature.

I have not yet had a use for solid bullets, though. I think that their need is very limited. Brain shots on elephant (hardly a commonality these days) and body shots on rhino (ditto) are the only 2 instances in which I would use them. Thing is, that controlled-expansion projectiles have gone such a technological distance by now, that with them you still get plenty of penetration plus expansion and hydrostatic shock. The Trophy Bonded, for example is a helluva lot of bullet, as is the Hawk and, of course, the Partition.

If I had to face a charge, I would much prefer a good, controlled-expansion 375+ bullet than any solid on Earth, possibly even for elephant. Put such a slug in an animal's puss and you'll turn it at the very least. Instead, a solid could even go clean through (especially with a soft-skinned animal such as lion or leopard) without making much of an immediate impression.

This is just my opinion, and I bow to any of you more experienced hunters out there, but so far I have not been disappointed. I am thinking of re-barreling one of my .416s to the 450/400 Nitro Express, and see if I can unseat the .375 as my King of calibers!
Old December 22, 2000, 06:05 PM   #23
CoyDog

MountainGun44: That was a great post about the dreaded North American Grey Squirrel. I'm still laughing!
Good Shooting, CoyDog
Old December 22, 2000, 09:44 PM   #24
BadMedicine

416Rigby, if you like the .375 better, why the name??

Thank you for clearing up that little bit about the .375 being heavily used in africa, even on big game. *somebody* not to name any names, but you know who you are, said basically that a .375 was a wussy gun, only to be used on small plains deer and antelope!! I was like "WHAT???" but couldn't find any supportive info on the net to post a rebuttle. However, comming from a guy whose actually been on african safaries, I take your word for it, as I've heard it before.

The late Hal Waugh, of kodiak alaska, guided bear hunts for many years. He has shot many bear (sometimes as a backup for his clients) and reported never having to shoot a bear twice with that gun, whom he named "Big Nan." He also took a safari in africa, and what did he use?? say it with me "A 375.H&H." And What did he shoot?? THE BIG FIVE. That's why I opted for a .375 this spring when getting a new gun, instead of the .338. My dad and his friend had to shoot my dads grizzly 7 times with .338 mags, and only one wasn't through the heart/lungs. That stray went through the bottom jaw. These huge bears whip themselves into such a frenzy, and have gallons of adrenaline pumping through their veins that you can't hardly kill them, that's why I wanted a little more gun. Mine is a Rem 700 BDL with a synthetic stock that kicks like a pissed off mule. I dunno how much it weighs prolly about 6 lbs but it sure is a hoot. I shot at a couple coyotes a few weeks ago and was so excited didn't even notice the kick.

Wanna know what gets me?? the 700BDL's that are in .308 have muzzle breaks factory installed on them. Who needs a muzzle break on a .308??? but on a .375, a gun that really could use a little less kick??? Nothing, No break at all. IN THE SAME MODEL OF GUN!!! What is that about???? Hmmm, makes me wonder what they're smokin over there at remington
Old December 23, 2000, 06:41 PM   #25
CoyDog

Bad Medicine: I also have one of those .375's that kicks like a pissed off mule (great expression). But it's worse on the other end. I killed a black bear with mine so quick that he didn't even twitch a whisker. He was walking toward me head down when struck at base of neck by a 300 grain Nosler Partition. Bullet took out base of neck, top of shoulders, and then ranged back through bear and was found in a hindquarter. I never feel that recoil in the field, but sighting in can be pure hell.
Good Shooting, CoyDog