The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 15, 2014, 10:03 AM   #1
SwwPlayboy

Burris Fastfire III......Malfunction?

Not to long ago, I decided to try out a red dot scope for my mini 14. Came across the Fastfire III, had a nice mount to go with it. Made the purchase, mounted it, and went out to site it in. Couldn't believe how far off center it was, but made the adjustments and got it there. Round about the 3rd use, after getting it sited in, while firing, the the red dot turned its self off. Turned it back on, fired off a couple of rounds, and it turned off again. Decided maybe the battery was dying so went to get another. Replaced it, turned on, fired off a few rounds, and it went out again.

I finally just decided to buy a trijicon to replace it. I'm not wanting to get rid of the Fastfire III just yet, possibly put it on another gun, but I'm wanting to know if anyone else has had this problem with a fastfire, or maybe I just received a faulty one.
Old April 15, 2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Sharkbite

I had a fastfire III set as a backup to a magnified scope on an AR platform for about a year.

Maybe 200 rounds with the sight on and used. Another 6-700 with the sight along for the ride

ZERO issues. Its stayed on when i wanted it on

I would send yours back for service. Sounds like a loose connection or something
Old April 15, 2014, 11:29 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I have two of these, both have been mounted on very heavy recoiling guns (44mag, and 45-70). No problems at all. I'd send it back for replacement. They have a very good reputation and Burris stands behind their products. I guess you can get a bad one of anything.
Old April 15, 2014, 01:43 PM   #4
SwwPlayboy

I am glad to hear this. I wasn't ready to give up on it just yet. I was worried it might have been the recoil, but hearing it handled a 45-70 with no issues, I guess I got the bad one in the bunch.
Old April 15, 2014, 06:35 PM   #5
mxsailor803

Send it back. Burris is pretty good about warranty work.