The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
AID_Admin

Gun safe for revolvers?

I am not sure this is the correct branch of the forum for this type of questions, but since this is the only branch I even post to I may as well ask here...

I am looking into buying a gun safe. I have four guns (all revolvers) and may add a few more, but I doubt I'll ever have more than 6 or 7. Probably all revolvers. I am looking for a decent gun safe. Don't need anything fancy, but do want it to have enough space to accommodate my guns and a few thousand rounds of ammo.

Most of the cases I see online are either too small (table top to fit 1 to 3 guns) or too big (floor top for long guns which I don't plan to own). Is there anything in between? Something substantially larger than 1 to 3 guns case, that can fit twice that number plus ammo, yet not a 5-6 FT tall safe?

Any thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated as I have zero experience with gun safes. Thanks.
Old November 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
jabba21

These aren't specifically gun safes, but for the size you're looking for, you may consider some of the First Alert safes. I'm currently using one to house a few handguns and it's worked for me fairly well. Mine is holding seven right now and could hold a few more if I wanted to really cram them in there. They are usually decently priced and most are fireproof/waterproof to a certain extent unlike a lot of the cheaper Stack-On options. The one I picked up I think was regularly around $200 and it was on clearance at Kmart for around $60-$70.

Here are a couple pics:

I think on a safe this size, you could get your guns on one shelf and most of the ammo you desire on the other shelf. Plus you can find these safes almost anywhere.

Props if you can name all of the guns.
Old November 7, 2013, 04:57 PM   #3
2ndsojourn

I read this on the internet, so it must be true. (I read it here in fact).

Those cheap safes from Wally World and Home Despot are made with some kind of gel in the wall cavities to help resist fire damage, but the moisture will transmit into the interior of the safe and accelerate moisture/rust damage to steel guns. I guess if you keep enough oil on them you might be OK.
Old November 7, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I doubt I'll ever have more than 6 or 7 (guns).
^^ Yeah, I remember when I said that. ^^

I'm currently saving up to buy my second gun safe
Old November 7, 2013, 05:42 PM   #5
g.willikers

The Ruger MK 1 is easy, and the one on the left on the lower shelf might also be a Ruger.
As for the rest, throw some light on the subject and maybe.......
Old November 7, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
AID_Admin

Thanks for replies so far..

Jabba, I never thought of "non-gun safe" to be used for guns. That opens a whole lot of options I guess. Thanks for the idea.

Nick, I think I start getting a feel of what you are trying to say. Until recently I couldn't figure out why anyone needs more then one gun. Well, may be two in different calibers, but only because of ammo shortages. Yeee, right!
Old November 7, 2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

And my first safe is a stand-up unit with all shelves in it - no provision for long guns. And it's getting full. lol

It's amazing how one can find a specific purpose for each and every gun - no matter how many one may have.
Old November 7, 2013, 06:32 PM   #8
chrisr6

I know Remington has a handgun safe though I don't see it on their site anymore. It was maybe a little smaller than a mini fridge. The only downside I would see with a document type fire safe is they tend to be a little less secure than a gun safe. Just something I would consider when choosing.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

You might check with a local locksmith who sells safes, he might have a model or even a used one that could work. Several thousand rounds of ammo can take up some serious space so consider that as well.

I have seen some US gov't surplus safes that were used in offices for documents that would also work
Old November 8, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

okay, it mighta been 1995

I bought a $200 Sentry fire-proof safe; I only own handguns.
Old November 9, 2013, 01:28 AM   #11
JimmyR

I found this safe at a local retailer for about $175-$200 OTD. It currently holds about 8 handguns easily. It isn't air tight, so rust isn't as big a worry. I also keep it under my bed, and with a bedspread down, it's almost completely invisible.
Old November 9, 2013, 12:27 PM   #12
dgludwig

In terms of what size to get, I look at gun safes the way I look at fishing tackle boxes: no matter how sincere you are about only needing a smaller size to accomodate a modest amount of equipment to suit your current requirements, as time goes on and your interests become more passionate and varied, you will doubtless outgrow the size that seemed so ideal in the present moment. All of which is why I suggest that you get the biggest and best one you can afford (and, obviously, one that will fit the area you plan on keeping it).
Old November 11, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
johnjohn

I reorganized my gun safe this morning. Some how there are now 16 long guns and7 hand guns in there and kinda' crowded. It never was supposed to get to this point. I realize you aren't talking about long guns, but if you ever get any guns with scopes, they eat up a lot of space.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:53 PM   #14
BigD_in_FL

I learned a LONG time ago that a 12 gun gun safe only applies to 12 guns with no raised sights, scopes or AR type pistol grips - and even then it is REALLY crowded. The same can hold true when trying to use those plastic-coated wire pistol racks; yes they will hold 4 or 6, but they will take up the space for eight so plan accordingly
Old November 11, 2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Daggitt

Consider the long gun safe and put shelves in it. The smaller safe is too easy to carry away.
Old November 12, 2013, 04:02 AM   #16
armsmaster270

Here is mine.

Old November 12, 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
bedbugbilly

I don't know why folks feel that they have to have one of the "fancy gun safes" that you see in the various sporting goods stores. A safe is a safe. One of the most important things in a safe is the "fire rating" - how many hours.

Over the years, I've had a number of safes . . . and have helped move quite a few as well. If you want something to keep your pistols in, put out feelers to folks you know and let them know your are looking for a good used safe - cheap. There are a lot of good safes just sitting out there - they just need to be hunted out. A lot of businesses have gone out over the past few year - many used a safe of some sort for protecting business records. In the past five year, I ahve given two safes away. Both were from businesses that went out and I got both of them for nothing - the people were happy to get rid of them.

Some of the safes are large, but if you have the room to put them . . you can store other things as well as your pistols. . . . your valuable jewelry, personal records, etc. One of the safes I gave away was about 4' X 4' X 2' deep - it went to a guy who needed it to store his pistol collection. The other - about 3' X 5' X 2' deep, I gave to my Masonic Lodge to store old records in.

Rifle/shotgun storage are another story - but there are tall safes out there as well that were used in businesses - or a person could go with one of the "gun safes".

I'm always amazed when folks buy the small safes, such as some of those that have been mentioned like you can buy at the various stores. They put their handguns in them and feel all safe and secure. Problem is, unless that safe bolted down into concrete, all you've done is provide a "handy container" for a couple of perps to pick up and carry out of your house. You'd be surprised at how ingenious some of these folks are who would rather steal than work.

Check around and see if you can't find some leads on a decent safe - you can always fabricate racks/shelves, etc. to accomodate what you want to keep inside.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 14, 2013, 03:54 PM   #18
bikerbill

Saw a neat safe at Cabela's today, it was called an office safe, about three feet tall, fire rating, plenty of room for a decent number of handguns and ammo, too short for a long gun ... it was about $500, I think ... my requirements are limited to 1) a lock system that can't be defeated quickly 2) weighs too much for one burglar to carry it away ... fire rating is worthwhile, especially if you keep in in the house.
Old November 14, 2013, 10:35 PM   #19
Sgt127

Craigslist. You can buy a real safe (TL-15 or -30) rated safe for a few hundred dollars (for a small one) The problem with a small safe is you MUST secure it. If you can move it yourself, so can a burglar. All you did was save him time in looking for the good stuff.