The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2010, 05:50 PM   #1
DE Shooter

Build a HD Rem1100

I already have a (primary HD piece) and a backup for it too. Neither is a shotgun. I've used 870s and Brownings many years for hunting and for various clay disciplines. Now I want to try my hand at building an HD Rem 1100...my pumping days are over due to a serious shoulder injury. If I had the money I'd just buy a Tac4 for or maybe try an FN or Benelli type HD version. I have a choice to buy for <$300 an old 1100 Trap or an old 1100 Magnum. The Magnum has seen alot less rounds. I plan on putting a pistol grip stock, extending the tube, cutting the barrel down alittle to match the tube, and adding Ghostring sights. I don't know much about 1100s. Will cutting the barrel down to 18-22inches affect the gas operating system? I see that the trap has a 2-hole system and the magnum has a 1-hole system. I reload so I can custom load for premium operation. I know I can save an eventually get whatever I want...just thought it would be fun to pick my accessories...since it will not be my grap first piece. Any help appreciated.
Old June 14, 2010, 06:46 PM   #2
oneounceload

You won't cut the barrel short enough to affect the gas ports - they're located where the ring on the barrel is. I'm hoping that by pistol grip you mean a full stock that also has a pistol grip as opposed to a PGO grip, because you have a recoil spring that goes into the stock - better to just leave that alone.

You won't need GR sights for a HD gun - a simple bed will suffice. If your plan is to slam a lot of hot buckshot loads, then get the magnum version so you won't batter the receiver to death
Old June 14, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
zippy13

As my friend, 1-oz, pointed out, pistol grip only stocks and R-1100s don't mix. There's the action spring housing in the stock.

If the gun is a little sluggish, assuming everything is correct, it wouldn't hurt to enlarge the gas vent(s) one drill size -- a common mod for comp guns shooting light target loads.
Old June 14, 2010, 09:28 PM   #4
DE Shooter

It will be a full butt stock with pistol grip...I like the looks of the Rem thumbhole and the Speedfeed variations.
Old June 14, 2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When Remington marketed an 1100 variant for Practical stuff, they had the barrel at 22". I believe there was a reason for that.

Dwell time may be crucial. I'd rather leave the barrel a hair longer than have to drill out the port.
Old June 14, 2010, 09:59 PM   #6
StuntManMike

Sell the trap barrel and buy a factory 18.5" or 22" barrel so you won't have to worry about adjusting the gas ports.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:03 AM   #7
copdills

StuntMan Mike has the right idea
Old June 15, 2010, 09:11 AM   #8
TJH3781

Personally, I would keep all the original parts as backups just in case something failed. I would also buy the repair kit that Brownell's sells & extra seals for the gas system.