The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
BigGreenZ_71

RCBS Hand Primer

I'm priming 9mm with the small rod in my hand primer, i have the small holder too, the white one. It seems to be coming up at an angle, it's leaving a small indention on one side. The seating depth is fine, its just pressing in more on one side then the other. Anyone else have this problem? Do you think it will be an issue when firing?

Last edited by BigGreenZ_71; April 13, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old April 13, 2010, 06:56 PM   #2
JayCee

Make sure you have the primer rod inserted correctly. The flat end should be up to seat the primer. If the rounded end is up, I imagine you'd see the very thing you're describing...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old April 13, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
BigGreenZ_71

Yea i've got the flat end up just like normal. I've primed plenty with the bigger size rod and holder.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Pat T

I've had to not put the case all the way over in the shell holder when seating small primers, seems like the primer pocket is off center from the primer if you do so. Also some primers are softer than others which leads to easier smooshing. I've been using CCI 500s and they hold up well, it was easy for me to flattern Magtech primers. Some cases has sharper shoulders on the primer pockets that seem to promote tilted primer entry as well, another reason to find the sweet spot in the shell holder.
Old April 13, 2010, 08:04 PM   #5
qcpunk

I assume you have removed the white piece and checked the fit to the shell holder? My shell holder sits very very close to flush with the white piece. The shell holder also sticks up by about a 3/16" all the way around the body of the tool.

Might try double checking the fit between all pieces there?

Have you had this problem in the past with 9mm?

And I assume it is happening to all 9mm cases you are currently reloading?
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln