The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
jakeg823

problems w/ choate pg stock for mossie 930spx

hey, i'm new to the forum,

so i recently bought a mossberg 930 spx, i also almost immediately bought a choate pg stock for it from choate due to the fact no one around had the pg version in stock, and seemed reluctant or unable to order the pg version for whatever reason. well the stock has proven impossible to install, i have talked w/ fred choate and he believed it was just a wrong spacer intended for another model so he sent me a new one, and guess what, its identical, so the spacer still will not fit over the nut and gigantic washer of the recoil spring rod...i emailed Choate about it last night asking what else they think it could be and what they want to do, but they are closed till monday so i dont expect to hear back from them until at least then. I had my girl's dad look at it, along w/ about 5 other people in my family that are much more experienced w/ long guns than myself, and even they were stumped by it, the only thing anyone can seem to think of is to get a dremmel tool and hollow out the middle of the spacer a bit in order to make it fit over the washer and into the stock...and since i have a spare spacer now this might not be such a bad idea, that way just in case i do simply have to return the stock i can still include the spacer and not have to worry about voiding any sort of warranty.

does anyone have any ideas, or maybe 5 other people, along w/ myself are just idiots and all completely looking over the obvious...thanks for any ideas and suggestions in advance
jake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (248.5 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 038.jpg (251.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0632.jpg (252.0 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by jakeg823; August 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old August 9, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
MAX100

Maybe the metal round spacer goes on first, then the metal rectangle and then the 3/4" hex nut.

I can't remember. Post a picture of inside the stock how you have it now.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; August 9, 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old August 9, 2009, 10:32 AM   #3
jakeg823

i'll get some pictures posted later this evening when i get home, but as it is now i have it: metal spacer, then the huge washer(i dont know what else you'd call it), then the nut, then the plastic spacer, then the butt pad.

the problem seems to be the washer is too tall and the plastic spacer isn't wide enough in the center to allow for the washer to fit through since its so tall. so the only way that i have been able to make it look even reasonably right is to put the plastic spacer on backwards, but obviously it looks retarded, and i wouldnt trust it not to move on me
Old August 9, 2009, 11:10 PM   #4
jakeg823

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 9, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5
jakeg823

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

the circled areas in the last 2 photos are of the part of the plastic stock spacer that is preventing the "washer" from going through the spacer, which would allow the spacer to insert fully into the stock...so i'm thinking about grinding out those areas on one of the plastic spacers that choate sent me since i have an extra
Old August 10, 2009, 03:11 AM   #6
MAX100

I can say for sure the two 930 stocks installed didn't haver that problem and went right on. I can't remember what the cutout in the polymer spacer looked like but it looks like that's the wrong spacer for the 930 stock. If you do modify the spacer cutout is the metal tube & nut sticking up to far for the recoil to fit.

GC
Old August 10, 2009, 03:15 PM   #7
jakeg823

yeah, thats what fred choate said, he had decided i somehow got the wrong spacer for the stock, so he sent me a new one, and it was identical to the original, i am still waiting for his email, if i dont hear back today i'll just call them tomorrow...at least i have a spare spacer now to modify if it comes down to it, but i'm trying to avoid that cuz i dont want to do anything that could potentially weaken the stock or anything
Old August 10, 2009, 07:03 PM   #8
MAX100

Ask to speak to someone knowledgeable because the women answering the phone are lost. Tell the one you talk to not to send you another spacer with a rectangle cutout in it.

GC
Old August 11, 2009, 02:38 PM   #9
jakeg823

just called and talked to em again...the girl on the phone talked to fred choate and he's gonna find one w/ a rounded hole in it instead of the rectangle...they admitted to sending the wrong one and everything...so far their customer service has been great, but like you said the women answering they phone dont seem to know much so i'm assuming they're just secretaries...soooo now its just the waiting game again and hope for the best this time
Old August 13, 2009, 01:42 PM   #10
jakeg823

all set...got the new spacer in today, w/ the ROUND hole in it...3rd times a charm fit perfectly the first time and saved me the trouble of grinding the old spacer out
Old August 13, 2009, 06:22 PM   #11
MAX100

I glad it worked out. It had to be the wrong spacer they sent the first time. They do have very good customer service but sometimes they screw things up.

GC