The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Namerifrats

Question about Bullet Mold lube

I read in one of my books that you should use bullet lube for the mold. I'm using an aluminum LEE mold. I don't have any of the stick lube, but I have some Liquid Alox lube that came with my sizer die. Would that work ok?
Old July 17, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2
crowbeaner

Lead generally doesn't stick to aluminum moulds such as your Lee, so any coating that you apply isn't going to do much. I tried Midway's Drop Out mould release spray this weekend on a particularly finicky Lyman steel mould and I must say that the spray works just fine, even if it does gunk up the surfaces a little. I reapplied it after the initial application and the bullets just fell out of the mould. Sure beats having to rap repeatedly on the hinge pin to get the bullets out. Just be gentle with the aluminum ones; they aren't as durable as a steel one. Enjoy. CB
Old July 17, 2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Namerifrats

I wasn't really concerned about the bullets dropping out, but I read that the mold must be lubed because the aluminum will get sticky when hot.
Old July 17, 2007, 09:46 PM   #4
crowbeaner

Try the spray. It may work with aluminum. I have a couple left to try, and a couple are Lee. Just a drop of oil on the hinge pin should keep the handles from galling. The type of bullet lube you use depends on the diameter and speed you want to achieve with your reloads. If you have to size them down, use an alox/beeswax mix. I use a lubrisizer to size mine, and the hollow sticks I use are 50/50 I bought from G.A.R. in West Paterson, NJ. If you don't have to squeeze them much you may be OK with the liquid alox. Hope this helps. CB