The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 1999, 10:57 PM   #1
Colduglandon

I have been reloading for my old Enfield for years with a set of RCBS dies. I am now reloading for my Garand as well. I have a bullet and powder charge that I am satisfied with for each rifle. I was considering buying some new dies. But is it really necessary. What can be gained. What about the new die that supposedly does not stretch the case. Someone mentioned that. Any thoughts. I use Lee dies for everything else right now.
Old June 2, 1999, 10:22 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I load '06 for bolt action and Garand. I admit I only neck-size, except when I acquire "stray" brass not fired in my rifle.

I'm still using an old Pacific die I bought in 1951-ish...

Damfino, but my brass doesn't stretch...

FWIW, Art
Old June 7, 1999, 10:13 PM   #3
Colduglandon

neck sizing works in a semi auto?
Old June 7, 1999, 10:14 PM   #4
Colduglandon

neck sizing works in a semi auto?
Old June 8, 1999, 03:26 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Paul: It has for me, most of the time. At least in the Garand. I'm guessing, though, that somewhere after, say, two neck resizes I'd have to full-length resize.

I don't shoot the Garand that much, so I'll run some stuff through it and Lord knows what gets shot next...But the vast majority of my ammo is reloads, and I can't recall when I last did a full-length resize on any '06...

If you have a tight-chambered Garand, and a loose-chambered something-else, there will be problems if you mix.

Had an HK 91, once, and always full-length resized with the special .308 dies for semi-autos...

If you've read any of my other posts, you can see I'm sort of a "If it ain't broke don't fix it" type. I read about a lot of problems, but I have no idea why I don't have the same problems with my guns. Damfino. I don't have magazine-spring problems, or WD40 problems, or "stuff breaks" problems...Maybe I'm just too damned dumb and the Lord takes pity on me...

Best regards, Art
Old June 8, 1999, 03:26 PM   #6
chargar

I load for a 03A3 Springfield, a 1917 Enfield and a Garand with the same set of CH dies I bought in 1960. No problems yet.
Old June 8, 1999, 06:50 PM   #7
HankL

Gentlmen, there are quite a few technical reasons that ammo for semi and full auto ammunition should be held to certain tolerances!
That understood there is no reason you can't
do a perfect job for your Garrand and your Model 70 with the same set of dies.
You just can't set the dies to the same place for both rifles!
Get a headspace gauge for the autoloader and learn how to use it to make safe ammo. Neck size for the bolt gun, I do, and watch out for case wear on all.
I'm with Art, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but slightly over headspaced ammo in a semi might get it and you "broke" quicker than you want.
Good "and safe" Shooting
Hank
Old June 9, 1999, 10:29 PM   #8
Colduglandon

Read in the Lee manual that when reloading brass that has been fired in your rifle its good practice to back the die off 1/8 of a turn. I guess the neck gets resized but the rest of the case stays pretty much fire formed to the chamber.

[This message has been edited by Paul Morceau (edited June 11, 1999).]
Old June 11, 1999, 04:44 PM   #9
HankL

Paul, If reusing the brass for the same rifle you can back the die off more than 1/8 of a turn. You can adjust the die out until you see where around 2/3 or so of the neck is being worked this will get you plenty of neck tension but not overwork the brass. It varies with chamber and die dimensions. One note though; I would make sure that everthing was everthing before neck sizing a bunch of ammo for my bolt gun especially if I were going hunting. Some people advise that you chamber every round of reloaded ammo you intend to take along hunting!
I experimented with small lots of various caliber ammo for different guns and came up with some that I could use a regular die to neck size the case and only lube the neck where others required full lube. Keep notes.
Have fun and be safe! Hank
BTW Bro In Law bought one of those "X Dies"?
that aren't supposed to stretch the case for reloading ammo for his M1-A. After he has shot a few more matches I will try to give you a post on them.

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited June 11, 1999).]
Old September 2, 1999, 09:16 PM   #10
Colduglandon

Hank any word on the X Dies
Does anyone have any info on the Lee Delux Rifle Dies. Read about then in Natchez catalogue and saw them in Midway. May pass my old RCBS dies down to my son and buy something new for myself. I use a single stage challenger press.
Old April 20, 2000, 10:32 PM   #11
Colduglandon

Bought a Lee Collet Die. Worked fine with my Enfield. So I tried it with my M1. Loading single rounds it chambered easily. I tried three rounds semi auto; and rounds two and three chambered just fine. In most DCM style matches we don't fire semi auto, perhaps I'll used fully resized rounds during the rapid fire course. Great not having to mess with lube.