The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 1, 2013, 01:25 PM   #126
SmallFry

225 count Remington Golden bullets - 9.97 each. Picked up 2 boxes over lunch at the local walmart.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #127
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
If you want a good laugh go to gunbroker and search for "federal auto match". People are setting buy-it-now prices of $90 and $100 plus shipping for 325 rounds.
Space, you are tempting me to auction one of the three unopened boxes of Auto Match that I have stashed in my cabinet to help me ride out the shortage. STOP- just stop!
Old May 1, 2013, 03:07 PM   #128
Plumbnut

Academy sports

223 brass cased monarch 20 roundbox for 8.99
9mm luger monarch steel cased 50 rnd box for 10.99
federal hydroshock .40 s&w 25 round box for 27.00

limit one box per gun nut.

2hrs ago.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:24 PM   #129
Justice06RR

Quote:
"Because every Walmart has a line of people waiting, at 6:30AM, at the ammo counter, to buy ammo, as it's being stocked. By 8:30 AM, it's all gone because nobody wants to miss a chance to buy ammo. "

This quote is from a recent closed thread. No it is not because of this. None of my local Walmarts have been getting anything but hunting rounds and shotgun shells. I should know I work off duty security late night to morning shifts when they recieve the stock and place the palates on the floor. There hasn't been any common use pistol ammo in a month.(22lr, 380, 9mm, 40, 45acp) Cause I check every time they stock. There ain't no line to get it either.

Now the local shop gets some in every once in a while. He sells some and keeps the rest to match stock in guns he is selling. Just so if someone buys a gun they can at least buy a box of ammo to shoot it.
It really depends on your area and population. If you live in a rural area where many people hunt and shoot like where I live, people actually do line up early on some days to get whatever ammo gets stocked.

I talk to the SG clerks at Walmart because I stop by about once a week around 730am and they said that there used to be lines before 7am of people waiting for the ammo cabinet to be stocked. I sometimes get lucky and get 3 boxes of 9mm or 7.62 if not too many people are there. you also have to know what nights they receive deliveries of ammo as it varies.

----

Back on topic, Dick's in my area gets Independence 5.56 ammo for $10/box of 20, limit 3 on Friday's. I bought some last week and they had a few boxes available, but don't last even half the day.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:02 PM   #130
t4terrific

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeroux View Post
This quote is from a recent closed thread. No it is not because of this. None of my local Walmarts have been getting anything but hunting rounds and shotgun shells. I should know I work off duty security late night to morning shifts when they recieve the stock and place the palates on the floor. There hasn't been any common use pistol ammo in a month.(22lr, 380, 9mm, 40, 45acp) Cause I check every time they stock. There ain't no line to get it either.
it.
I know these lines exist, because I race to the local Walmart, to be there by 6:30AM, 3 times a week. Between 7, and 7:15, an employee brings out a rolling rack and begins opening cases. They sell three boxes of ammo to each person waiting in order of who arrived first.

Either your store is an anomaly, or you're not being honest with us.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:13 PM   #131
Justice06RR

^ True. They get ammo in regularly but in very small amounts that get bought up right away. I usually get there when the line is gone but I sometimes get lucky and get a couple of boxes of whatever is left.

I've never actually seen the "line" of people, but the clerk verifies this.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:18 PM   #132
teeroux

Well I'm just here to tell you it ain't happening here in my part of the world. We haven't had ammo at our Walmarts for there to be a line.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:53 AM   #133
mumblyj0e

Just greateful to my LGS

I'm just posting to thank my LGS's for not gouging as badly as online stores. I just cringed at the $23 one of them was asking for 50 9mm FMJ loads but bought a box anyway. Another is asking $18 for Remington. It seemed high, but I can't imagine it was cheap for them either. Wal-mart has managed Remington .380's for $25 and remington 9mm for $15 the last 2 times I stopped in. Finally, and as much as I find their trickiness and deceit a pain to deal with when it comes to shipments coming in, I understand and appreciate what Bass Pro is trying to do with regards to spreading out the goodness. The last time I went to Bass Pro they were offering Winchester white boxes of 100 for $25. I haven't seen anything lower than .30/round online in months and you still have to add shipping. so.. Thanks, LGS's!
Old May 2, 2013, 01:59 AM   #134
mumblyj0e

Quote:
It really depends on your area and population. If you live in a rural area where many people hunt and shoot like where I live, people actually do line up early on some days to get whatever ammo gets stocked.

I talk to the SG clerks at Walmart because I stop by about once a week around 730am and they said that there used to be lines before 7am of people waiting for the ammo cabinet to be stocked. I sometimes get lucky and get 3 boxes of 9mm or 7.62 if not too many people are there. you also have to know what nights they receive deliveries of ammo as it varies.
Timing is crucial as is a relationship with the guys behind the counter. I've found they've started to get tricky with delivery vs. stocking. My local shops started coming out and telling the lines " oh sorry all we got was some shotgun ammo and a couple of rifle calibers." an hour later and they're unloading boxes and boxes of pistol ammo and .223.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:01 AM   #135
Tucker 1371

.308 availability and prices in the Knoxville, TN area-

Coal Creek Armory-
50 rounds CBC Magtech $50

Gunnys-
50 rounds CBC Magtech $47
20 rounds PMC $27

Bills Outpost
20 rds Hornady 168gr BTHPs- $34

Anyone ever think .308 FMJ ammo will come back to the 60 or 70 cents/rd, price point it used to be? A little shop in GA had the 50 round CBC Magtech boxes for $32 the day after Christmas, full blown panic times. What gives?
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old May 2, 2013, 09:03 AM   #136
TommyP

Academy in Humble, TX (Houston area):

Approx 15 people in line when store opened at 8am....including yours truly.

-100 rd boxes of American Eagle .223 55gr FMJ: $44.99. They had about 30 boxes on the counter.
-50 rd boxes of Monarch 9mm 124gr HP: $16.99. About 25 boxes of the Monarch on hand, another 25 boxes of Tulammo and 10 boxes of Lawman in 9mm in stock. Both were $16.99 as well.
-20 rd boxes of 7.62x39: between SP, HP, and FMJ, there were at least 150 boxes on the counter. Didn't check the price.
-assorted .308. Ones and twos of various brands and grain.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:04 PM   #137
t4terrific

Quote:
Well I'm just here to tell you it ain't happening here in my part of the world. We haven't had ammo at our Walmarts for there to be a line.
I stopped at the Weatherford, TX Walmart this morning (in town on business), at about 7AM. There was a bunch of 9mm Tul, and Win .38 Special. I returned at 3PM, and guess what... It was gone.

People are just buying all they can get. Every morning they stock, and every morning they sell out.

The LGS contribute to this by jacking up their prices. That makes everybody flock to Walmart even more.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:33 AM   #138
okiewita40

I went to my LGS in Afton, Ok tuesday. Picked up a glock 19 for less than the tagged price. He had a low stock of ammo but did get in 3 cases of .45ACP while I was there. had 9mm, .40s&w, multiple amount's of .45, had 5.56 and was not limiting on amount.

Also had 3 EBR's and two more that came in while I was there. There was nothing marked up above normal. Glad to see there are still some good shops around.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:34 AM   #139
Garycw

Quote:
Same in Ohio & ky. I can find it everywhere else though.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:56 PM   #140
TheNatureBoy

The Bass Pro Shop in Hampton, Va. Has quite a bit of .284 diameter bullets (reloading). Sierra and Nosler.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #141
Plumbnut

IMo there is plenty of ammo for the average guy. Now if your trying to stock pile it and buy it cheap.....or if you hang out at the range all day and have nothing to do but shoot guns then I can see the problem you may have.

Academy sports ad everything in stock today in two locations and walmart had most things.

The clerks said the SAME people are coming to buy it every day.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:07 PM   #142
stephen426

I managed to snag 3 boxes of Remington UMC in .45 ACP today at Dick's Sporting Goods in Boynton Beach, FL. They were going for $24.99 a round. I called up Gander Mountain in West Palm and they were all out of target ammo. I checked out Bass Pro Shops in Dolphin Mall a few days ago and all they had was 10mm and .45LC. 10mm was $35 a box and I don't recall the .45LC.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:31 AM   #143
rlc323

Primers at Recobs as of 8 am Monday

Federal Small Pistol
Winchester Large and Small Rifle
CCI Small Rifle
Remington Small Pistol and Small Rifle

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,193.html

A variety of powder as well.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #144
baddarryl

How are ammo supplies holding up?

Hi all. I have just about quit shooting the last few months in order to conserve ammo with the price and shortage that was about a few months back. I tend not to walk into the LGS's lately for self discipline reasons! How are supplies and prices looking in your neck of the woods for the popular calibers?
Old May 6, 2013, 01:27 PM   #145
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Nowhere to be found...lol
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #146
TheNatureBoy

With the exception of the local Bass Pro Shops (Hampton, Virginia) I haven't visited a gun shop in a few months. It appears that not many in Hampton load for the 7mm Rem Mag or they have plenty of bullets because there is a decent supply of .284 diameter bullets (hunting) still available. The same can be said for 6mm bullets, .25-06, 7 mm, and 30 caliber bullets (Nosler).
Old May 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #147
Spats McGee
Staff

Fort Thompson in NLR/Sherwood, Arkansas, had just about every kind of pistol ammo but 22LR today. Wahoo!
Old May 7, 2013, 01:50 PM   #148
Mike40-11

2 lbs of IMR 4895 at the LGS yesterday. They're out of my preferred H4985 but this will do. $27/lb. They have primers, but limiting to 1000. Glad I don't need any. Projectiles are hit and miss. .308, .224, .45 and 9mm are very limited. This is Graf's in St. Charles, MO. Smallish local shop, not the big online seller. Related, I think, though.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:52 PM   #149
Garycw

Found a ad on armslist for 108 38 spl and 27 .357 mags all for $30. Some of it needed cleaned up a bit but all in all good cond.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #150
allaroundhunter

Federal HST 9mm 124 gr +P Available

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Feder...p/p9hst3-a.htm

This ammo is going for about $0.80/round which is more than it used to go for, but in the current climate, that is not bad at all for a very good defensive round. I just grabbed a box so that I can alternate my old carry ammo out. Grab some if you want it!
Closed Thread