The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2012, 10:31 AM   #51
RKG

Do yourself a favor and see if someone can let you fire a few rounds from a SIG P238 before you make your purchase.

Locked breech.
Easy cycling.
Great trigger.
Excellent sights.
Even at 25 yards, you can actually hit what you're aiming at.

The only downside is that the P238 is based on the Gov't Model manual of arms, with which you have to be familiar and comfortable. I am.
Old October 4, 2012, 03:36 PM   #52
pete2

I would go with the LCP. The smaller the better and it seems nicer than the Keltec. Note: there are a few 9mm guns that will fit in a pocket but they are larger than the LCP. I have an LC9 that I carry in my pocket occasionally but it's a little large for some pockets.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:27 PM   #53
wayneinFL

They're all good guns for the price. Keltecs are kinda cheap. But I've owned 2 P32s, and still own a P11 and 3AT that all function well. I've heard Ruger's LCP is nice, and Ruger has a better reputation. One of these days, I'd like to swap my 3AT for a Bodyguard or Sig P238. They're real nice, but I just can't see it when my Kel-tec works so well.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:32 PM   #54
Iron Man

I have to agree with the Sig 238, but I daily carry an older Walther PPK. All metal and a little bit heavier, but a true gun that has functional sights.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:50 PM   #55
Kilibreaux

May I suggest the Kahr P-380?
It weighs in under 10 ounces sans magazine, polymer frame, stainless everything else, and uses a LOCKED BREECH...not blowback.
Dimensionally it is similar to the LCP though I think a bit shorter, and taller, but definitely thinner at a mere 3/4".
I has a bold slide stop and excellent, conventional magazine release button. The frame shape keeps the slide well above the hand. Sights are beyond outstanding - steel, with white dot front and center white strip rear.
The gun is striker fired, and like a glock, cocks partially during chambering, then fully as the trigger is pulled. It uses a "cam" type sear release and has a short, smooth, light pull that must be felt to be believed.
The P-380 has no external safety other than not pulling the trigger. It does have a firing pin lock that only releases when the trigger is fully depressed.
The Kahr line is also made in America in Worcester, MA. They aren't cheap guns, but when you see one and handle it the reason is obvious.
The only caveat is that Kahr pistols generally require at least 200 rounds of break-in shooting, but with each shot the gun loosens up until you end up with a highly reliable, to quality pocket gun....oh, and it's VERY accurate!
Old October 4, 2012, 07:54 PM   #56
Bill DeShivs

The Keltec and Ruger are locked breech guns.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:20 PM   #57
Bird3897

Out of those I choose LCP hands down. If you want to spend the money the kahr p380 is a gem in my opinion.
Single Six
Old October 5, 2012, 06:00 AM   #58
thedudeabides

The LCP is a great little gun. It's surprisingly accurate. You may want to beef up the grip with a Hogue slide on or replacement grip and there are Wolff recoil springs that are stiffer than stock.

All three guns super cheap in your hands, though, and you wonder if any will still be in one piece after 2-3k rounds.

Taurus also makes an LCP knockoff, the TCP that has real sights. Also small, frail, and cheap.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:22 AM   #59
Chuckusaret

Quote:
All three guns super cheap in your hands, though, and you wonder if any will still be in one piece after 2-3 years.
My daughter has put at least 100 rounds per month thru her LCP for the last two years or so without a failure and with no noticeable wear. We must remember that this is not a target pistol but should last a lifetime under normal use/training conditions. I have a LCP with just over 900 rounds without a FTF and no noticeable wear.

Last edited by Chuckusaret; October 5, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:47 PM   #60
Shooters Plus

All 3 of the handguns you mentioned would serve him well but I would like to throw another into the mix

The Walther PPK/s 380 is a very nice little handgun that is very reliable and easy to conceal. Of course the price is a little higher than those you mentioned but it is a great little gun.
http://www.shootersplus.com/inc/sdet...ss/23492/24197

www.shootersplus.com
Guns for Sale! Glock, Colt, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, HK and many more! Wilson Combat 1911 parts and accessories
Old October 8, 2012, 09:51 PM   #61
Jack Bauer

I can only speak for the LCP and the Bodyguard. Sold the LCP, still have the Bodyguard. I think the Bodyguard is a much more substantial pistol, feels better built to me, and has a much better trigger.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old October 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #62
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I think the Bodyguard is a much more substantial pistol, feels better built to me, and has a much better trigger.
100% agreed. It also accepts aftermarket night sights....

Old October 9, 2012, 07:20 AM   #63
vito

The LCP is reliable, snappy, and very easy to conceal. I added a Crimson Trace laser which has made up for the lack of real sights. I don't think .380 is an ideal carry caliber, but if concealability is a prime criteria, I don't think you can do better than this little Ruger.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:45 AM   #64
FloridaVeteran

Since ShootersPlus started it, I'll pipe in that I too like the Walther. Mine is a stainless PPK. It is a bit heavier than the other two, but the fit, finish, controls (easy for a leftie) and handling are all first-rate. Excellent natural point, though I wish I could have a Trijicon dot up front.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:39 AM   #65
Garycw

380 Pocket Gun - which of these 3?

A couple of my fav's to carry

Sent from iPhone
Old March 7, 2013, 04:04 AM   #66
ZIA

All those guns are pretty good but personally I think the bodyguard's laser is overrated. In a self defense situation I just don't think it's practical to have a laser that isn't automatically activated when you grab the handle, it's just 1 more step that takes time before you pull the trigger - overall still a good gun. My personal favorite is the LCP, the sights aren't the best but they are plenty good for a close range self defense situation (which they almost always are).
Old March 7, 2013, 04:19 AM   #67
9mm

Kel tech is junk, S&W body guard had major problems of dead triggers when it came out, rarely hear anything on those today, Bersa is good but too big. LCP is just right. LCP lays flat in a pocket(jeans)
Old March 7, 2013, 07:22 AM   #68
Spats McGee
Staff

Not to add too many more choices to the mix . . . I was reading my latest gun magazine the other night, and it looks like Ruger has a new .380: Ruger LC380.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:53 AM   #69
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
Kel tech is junk, S&W body guard had major problems of dead triggers when it came out, rarely hear anything on those today, Bersa is good but too big. LCP is just right. LCP lays flat in a pocket(jeans)
Agreed on the KelTec. The Ruger seemed like the grip was too short for my hand. Maybe a extended mag would help. The bodyguard was my favorite for looks and felt very good in the hand. The laser though was more of a novelty. There was too many things to get hung up on with the safety, slide catch etc. the TCP738 was the perfect compromise for me.

Sent from iPhone
Old March 7, 2013, 08:50 AM   #70
amd6547

Walther PPK's are great pistols, but they are not pocket guns, at least for my pocket.
I have been carrying a KelTec P3AT now for close to a year. It is very unobtrusive, and has been reliable at the range. Certainly not "junk". Apparently, Ruger agrees as many believe LCP stands for "little copy pistol".
Old March 7, 2013, 09:18 AM   #71
Garycw

The p3at may not be junk, just felt that way. I've even carried a Jennings JA22 which many may consider junk also, but I think I've only had a jam once in 20 yrs & maybe 500 rounds. I now carry a sig p238,PT745 & TCP738. The TCP gets the most use.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited by Garycw; March 9, 2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #72
bonefamily

Ruger has upgraded the LCP with taller sights and a slightly lighter trigger pull not too long ago. The newer ones don't have a "-" in the serial number sequence. I like mine.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:15 PM   #73
Chris Van

Good reading here. I have been keeping my eyes out for an LCP and today I found a used P3AT for $265.00 and considered it but I immediately came to The Firing Line and did a search for the KelTec. And after reading this thread and a couple others I think I'll just hold out for the right deal on an LCP.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:32 PM   #74
Bill DeShivs

I find it interesting that 9mm says "Keltec is junk" and then recommends the Ruger LCP which is a verbatim copy of the Keltec.
Everyone has opinions. Here is mine: Keltecs are innovative guns that do exactly what they were designed to do. I have 8 or 9 of them, and carry one daily.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:51 PM   #75
vito

I have an LCP that I bought new for $260 then added a Crimson Trace. I use it with a Ramora pocket holster.