The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 10, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1
GI Sandv

Remington .223 UMC

Does anyone here have any experience with Remington's "cheap" .223? Dick's Sporting Goods has the stuff on sale for $7.50/20 rounds, which is the cheapest I've seen brass .223 going for a while. I picked up four boxes last week, and three boxes this week. (I don't really buy in bulk, just pick up 2-4 boxes every time I go somewhere I can buy it.) I'm mostly wondering whether the stuff is excessively dirty to the point that it's not worth shooting, or if anyone's had any other issues. Haven't had a chance to make it to the range recently to find out. It's not intended for match shooting or anything like that--just more for the pile, in case.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Jay24bal

I like it for range ammo

I have used the Remington UMC 223 numerous times in the past and find to by just fine for range ammo. Not very dirty, and generally pretty accurate for cheap range ammo.

I usually use PMC for my 223 range ammo though. I tend to buy from Natchez Shooting Supply, and they have it on sale quite often for $6.99-$7.29 per box (less than a case so no bulk discount, it gets cheaper if you buy more). It is more than accurate for what I use it for.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old December 12, 2012, 02:39 AM   #3
2ndtimer

The Remington UMC .223 ammo is fine. Not too dirty, I like the uncrimped primers for reloading. My favorite cheap factory .223 ammo though, is the Fiocchi Extrema 40 gr V-Max. Accurate, clean, and nice brass for reloading. Chronographed 3650 fps from my 26" barrel Remington 700 SPS Varmint. Have purchased a lot of it for between $16.95 and $17.95 per 50 round box. Check out ableammo.com to see if they have it on sale.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4
JimDandy

If you are willing to buy in bulk, watch Cabelas. I picked up a case of PMC 223 from them for 6.49 a box. They had Lake City 5.56 for what ended up being about 50 more a case, but I didn't feel the need to upgrade.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #5
jmfc606

I like the Remington UMC ammo. Clean and reloadable whats not to like. It's alot better than the Tula or Wolf steel case stuff. JMHO
Old December 12, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
langenc

GISandy--

I also picked up 2 or 3 boxes when I visited Meijers several years ago. I have a few boxes and as I recall they were about $4.25/box back then. Ill have to check the price stickers just for fun. On the other hand that is depressing to see the price jumps thanks to the press.

Also you might as well find a good sale and buy several hundred bucks worth, esp if you have some $$ in CDs or savings. It is just deflating.

By components, ammo, coffee anything/everything. Maybe couple more guns??
Old December 12, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
dgludwig

I like the stuff and try to buy a box or two every time I have an occasion to shop at Wal-Mart. If you end up not liking it, you can always reuse the now once-fired brass. As the op noted, loaded Remington ammunition is not a whole lot more expensive than unloaded new brass is.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Bamashooter

Its very good ammo with good brass if you reload. It used to be the cheapest brass cased ammo you could get around here until PMC Bronze and PMC Tac came along. I like the Tac alot. Its very accurate in my 5.56's.