The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 20, 2014, 11:15 AM   #26
Stormson

Quote:
I had considered trying a dry felt wad over the powder and dropping shot into the chamber and then filling it with beeswax. This way it will possibly hold together through the barrel and either work as a frangible round or maybe keep the majority of the group much tighter.
When I was thinking of using a thick, wax soaked, cardboard card between the wad and powder to protect from lube contaminating the powder over time, someone brought up that the thick card might keep the lube pill from melting, therefore negating its purpose. A super thick one however might just protect the waxed shot when ya DO want it protected...

Hehe.. see.. I think about these things too!
Old March 20, 2014, 04:02 PM   #27
Chestnut Forge

It would be kinda like the wax slugs that folks are making for shotguns. I wonder if the rifling would spin it enough to make it break up outside the muzzle? Be a good way to load snake loads for a C&B.
Old March 20, 2014, 04:16 PM   #28
rodwhaincamo

I've seen some posted videos of loading C&B pistols for snakes with shot, and it seems to work fairly well for short range (<5 yds).

Brushhippie had a Remington bored smooth. Kinda interesting, though I think I'd rather do it to a Colt so that a swap of the barrel and I have a real pistol again.
Old March 20, 2014, 04:28 PM   #29
rodwhaincamo

Gelatin test of a .44 cal ball using 30 grns of T7 through an 1860 Army:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpIVLUQ9rk8

I'm actually very surprised at how low the velocity was. Mike Beliveau got 1062 fps with a .457" ball and 33 grns of T7 in an Old Army.

Maybe it's due to the very low velocity, but the wound track from the ball is quite minimal, and doesn't look any bigger that what the FMJ 9mm bullet did when it flew straight.

I still think a WFN bullet would be superior even without expansion. I certainly wish I could afford to make enough Knox gel for testing. At ~$80 a pop it's a bit much for me.
Old March 20, 2014, 04:33 PM   #30
rodwhaincamo

I'm wondering if his choice in ball size was off, and that he should have chosen a larger ball. I've seen test results where just upping the ball diameter greatly impacted the pressure/velocity.