The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2002, 02:01 AM   #1
MP-5

W296 powder for 10MM

I looked on the Winchester website and found some load data for the 10mm and W296. I like W296 for my 44 Magnum and thought it would be a good match with my 10mm. Also it would be killing two birds with one stone or one powder! I know W296 isnt the BEST powder for 10mm, as there are others that are more efficent, however I thought Id try it. Comments??

P.S. My initial loading was 11.6 grains under a 200 grain FP. Velocity was around 1000 but the load felt very mild. Shot pretty accurate. Im going to play around with it and see.
Old January 24, 2002, 02:15 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You normally need a pretty healthy crimp with 296, so I've decided I'm not going to mess with it in a semi-auto.

I don't want to get to the point where I crimp too much and start messing with headspacing.

I've only started loading 10mm, and I've been loading light to moderate loads with 231.

Very nice shooting.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2002, 07:59 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

SOME SAFER IDEAS

Power Pistol, AA5, Blue Dot (very good), 800X, Universal Clays, AA9.

But be very very careful...............
Old January 24, 2002, 12:44 PM   #4
MP-5

Are you hinting W296 is dangerous to use in 10mm? Pressure? Please explain.
Old January 24, 2002, 01:06 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

MP-5,

No, 296 just tends to be a finnicky powder.

It normally requires pretty heavy bullet pull (crimp) and high loading density to perform to its best potential.

Given that semi-auto pistol cartridges can't (or shouldn't) be roll crimped, a taper crimp may not hold the bullet firmly enough in all situations, leading to spotty ignition and the possibility for lots of unburned powder in the gun.

Because of that, 296 isn't the best choice for autoloaders, although it can be used.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 25, 2002, 04:01 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Hmmmmm........

IMNSHO W296 is not a 'correct' powder for the 10mm because it does nothing well in this caliber.

It just leaves residue LOL. Unburned powder debris. And also Mike I. stated some reasons.......

If trying to find a common 44 Mag/10mm powder suggest more compromising to be accepted, as these two cartridges are fairly far apart.
From my 'safe' list perhaps the best higher-performance choice to share between the two might be AA9, but if I personally had to pick one I'd pick Universal Clays.

Best answer, two powders.