The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
thedudeabides

Remington Steal

Have two old rusty 870s I pulled from my mom's attic in Mississippi. Does anyone have any experience with Wilson reconditioning them?

Is the finished product better than buying a new 870?

I'm split between scrapping them for parts or having them made pretty again.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
tAKticool

I tried to contact them...

THREE TIMES since Christmastime to talk about the Remington Steal package...Basically I have a new 870 Tactical that I've installed a full and complete Magpul package on it... I wanted it to be upgraded w/ the 870P and Scattergun Technologies/Wilson Combat parts (i.e. carrier latch spring, extractor, oversized safety, magazine spring & follower, etc.) and parkerized... but as its brand new I did not want them to throw out my new Magpul stock and forend nor did I need some of the new parts (Like trigger group/assembly and lifter etc.) So I wanted to see if they would do that above stuff (Which should really cost a lot or at least a BIT less than their price but I would have paid it full anyway.)

Would not return 3 phone messages NOR 3 emails. Obviously they could care less because they must have heard from HK that I suck so they hate me.

I was ORIGINALLY going to get it to a fairly well known 870 upgrading company whos owner posts often on the forums you should have seen the email I got, apparently I typed too much and asked too many questions regarding the process of upgrading and sending it to the company, I got suddenly told after my 2nd email (I have absolutely no interest in doing your gun, try someone else.) If it wasn't absolutely hilarious to me I would have been offended but sometimes you just gotta laugh.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3
thedudeabides

Fair enough.

Police trigger plate assemblies aren't that expensive, and I'll get a local gunsmith to reparkerize the parts while those are coming in.
Old March 13, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
charlie in md

shootin iron

Check out this site: www.shootiniron.com

Several different finishes
Old March 13, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
thedudeabides

cool, thanks.
Old March 13, 2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

You might try Lee Hadaway, if he's still working - http://thearmsroom.com/index.html. Haven't heard from him for several years and don't know his status.

Or J. D. Mcguire at http://www.aiptactical.com/

Keep in mind the status of the firearms industry across the board right now (as in "swamped"). That includes shotguns too... maybe not as bad as ARs, but the small shops are pretty busy.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Mezzanine

Quote:
I was ORIGINALLY going to get it to a fairly well known 870 upgrading company whos owner posts often on the forums you should have seen the email I got, apparently I typed too much and asked too many questions regarding the process of upgrading and sending it to the company, I got suddenly told after my 2nd email (I have absolutely no interest in doing your gun, try someone else.) If it wasn't absolutely hilarious to me I would have been offended but sometimes you just gotta laugh.
No offense but i can put myself in that guys shoes very easily. Ever sell a firearm on a craigslist style website? Its like rather than see it for their own eyes they prefer to take my word for it, as i offer to drive to their location almost always (bargaining chip). In his eyes your doubting his processes.

PS you probably tried calling Mr Heckler, he never answers, Mr Koch always answers. Apparently it has something to do with Mrs Heckler...
Old March 19, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
William T. Watts

Lee's still working part time, google his name & Colorado Gunsmiths and he will pop up!! He was one of my instructors at TSJC when I attended, seems life time ago!! Very nice fellow!! William