The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
DiffyDoc

LNL Powder Measure

My LNL Powder Measure works perfect until I tried running H-1000 through it. The problem is not with throwing the correct measurement, it comes from the collar that fits against the shell mouth. The measure came with 2 different sizes of collars. One is great for the bigger cases and the smaller one works fine for the smaller cases. When I attempt to load .243 with the smaller collar while running the H-1000, the powder plugs the throat of the collar and won't dispense correctly. No problem.....so I thought. Just change out the collar for the larger one. Now the powder dispenses fine, but because the collar is larger than the .243 neck, some of the powder falls out and onto the shell plate. You folks that have one of these LNL presses know what kind of hell that creates. By the way I have no problems at all with ball type powders.....just when I went to the large stick type did the problem arise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
hounddawg

the measures come with internal bushings # 20 for pistols (the long one) # 19 for 20 - 270 and the shortest with the largest hole is for 7MM to 45 cal rifle cases. That is all explained in the owners manual on page 13.

Don't know how close of a measurement you expect though becasue I have never found a powder throw yet that will do stick powders accurately. At keast not for match loads. Can't help you beyond that becasue the only rifle I run in batch mode on a LnL is.223 and I use TAC. I do all of my bolt gun stuff single stage and either dip and trickle or now use my Chargemaster. When I first got my LnL I tried using the throw for 4250 and Varget and it could never meet my accuracy expectations.

Doing a quick search on the net some of the Dillon crowd have found a way to adapt the RCBS Uniflow for throwing stick

edit - looks like the Uniflow will adapt to the Hornady as well

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-136415.html

maybe someone here that uses a Uniflow can give you a idea on how well it works with stick

Last edited by hounddawg; January 8, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
jimkim

I have a LNL and Uniflow and a cheap Lee PPM. I bought the Lee PPM after using a friends. It feels flimsy compared to the other two, but mine works flawlessly with IMR-4198, 4064, 4895, and 4350. The other two choke on 4198 and 4064.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:40 PM   #4
LE-28

Quote:
I bought the Lee PPM after using a friends
I've been hearing the same thing. I'm about ready to buy a ppm to see if it will run Unique.

I also have a Hornady and Uni-flow. I could never get stick powder to run through my Uni-flow either. Didn't bother to try it on my Hornady.

Wish I had better news for you.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:45 PM   #5
DiffyDoc

After listening to y'all I had an idea. I have an old Herters measurer that worked with everything I put in it. I will work on this and let you know how it works out. Thanks
Old January 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #6
DiffyDoc

Problem solved

I dug out my old herters powder drop. worked at it for about 10 min and discovered it has the same throat size as the Hornady LNL. I bolted the Herters drop to the bench, removed the throat and worked out the correct load drop. I took the Hornady drop off the press, put a RCBS powder funnel in the old location for the powder drop and started loading .243 with H-1000 with no problems. The funnel fits over the case perfectly as the case comes up, and I manually drop the powder. Yeah, it takes a bit longer.....but there ain't powder getting dropped all over the shell plate and floor. I check weight every 5 rounds, (+ or- .1) every round and that is close enough for me.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:19 AM   #7
donkee

Quote:
Quote:
I bought the Lee PPM after using a friends

I've been hearing the same thing. I'm about ready to buy a ppm to see if it will run Unique.

I also have a Hornady and Uni-flow. I could never get stick powder to run through my Uni-flow either. Didn't bother to try it on my Hornady.

Wish I had better news for you.
My PPM didn't work well with Unique. I use the lee auto disc now, that is much better.