The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 2, 2009, 04:46 AM   #1
drdarren

new vs used purchase

i am looking for a semi auto to add to my new collection. unless i am getting the used gun for a steal, is it safer to stick with a new one? could there be a lot more problems buying used?
Old October 2, 2009, 06:28 AM   #2
blume357

You are always better 'safer' buying new from a local store.

If there is a problem then you will have a lot more support to fall back on.
Old October 2, 2009, 06:55 AM   #3
larryh1108

A lot would depend on the condition of the used pistol and the spread between new/used on that particular gun. Barely shot and half the price? Shot a ton and $100 less? A lot of variables to give a definite answer.
Old October 2, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
lee n. field

I've bought new, I've bought used. The only guns I've had real problems with were all bought new.

Questions you have to ask yourself are, in the event of problems, who's going to work on it?

If the gun's still made, will the maker work on it under warranty if you're not the original purchaser? Taurus will do this explicitly. Ruger is good for this. KelTec's warranty is explicitly for the original purchaser. S&W has moved to original purchaser only.

If the gun is no longer made, and the maker is defunct, who's going to work on it, and where're they going to get parts? Star comes to mind as a possible problem gun.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; October 2, 2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old October 2, 2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Cloudpeak

Springfield will warranty a second hand gun. There may be other companies that do, as well.
Old October 2, 2009, 10:07 AM   #6
rsxr22

i never have issues buying guns used. I examine them and when i have a chance i have my local smith take a look at them. When i am buying a steel gun, i normally like to go new, but prices differ drastically in some cases such as Sig's. They sell for $800+ new and if you look around you can find them for $550-600
Old October 2, 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

You have to know what you get

Buy a new gun, and you know what you get. A new gun. It may or may not work flawlessly. If it does, great. If it doesn't, you have a manufacturer's warranty.

Buy a used gun and you have to be able to know what you get. Some used guns get used and abused. Others get barely used. Some get carried alot and hardly fired, so the outside looks worse than the inside is. You have to be able to tell if it is good enough to justify the price.

Buy a new gun, and accept the fact that any "break in" or "teething troubles" are something you are going to have to work through. Buy a used gun, and odds are, someone else has already done this for you.

There has been a lot of discussion on the boards about whether a new gun should work perfectly right out of the box. Many do, some don't. Most of those that don't smooth up and run well after being shot a bit. One maker even puts in their manual that their pistols should not be considered reliable until after 200 rnds have been fired.

If you are considering your next purchase as something you will be betting your life on (eventually), the smart thing to do is to fire at least a couple hundred rounds through it (new or used), before trusting it. And doing it with good quality ammo. 90%+ of auto pistol malfunctions are either ammo or magazine related. Some guns will run flawlessly with ammo A but choke sometimes on ammo X.

You can look at a used gun as buying somebody else's headache (which sometimes happens), or you can look at them as "broken in". They could be either, and it is up to your ability to know what you are looking at to tell the difference.

I've only bought one new gun in the past 10 years. But then, I know what to look at. Your call, but I'd prefer to save myself a couple hundred dollars, when ever I can.
Old October 2, 2009, 05:22 PM   #8
scott1q1

I think it just depends on the individual gun. New may be better in general but its not just a money issue either. Some guns you can't buy new or maybe the new version is not as good.

Bought a sa Para p-14 that was a shot show demo..so slightly used. I read now people are having a ton of trouble with their new para's, been lucky not one bit of trouble with mine and I love shooting it.

Also I like the older guns, got a couple cz-82's, and an hk p7 psp that are in great shape, fun to shoot, and were bargains.

Feel really lucky just yesterday I found a cz-24 made in 1926, in pretty good shape for $375. Might seem like a waste of cash but I would much rather have that then any new gun I could buy for $400.
Old October 2, 2009, 05:52 PM   #9
CWPinSC

I've been lucky in buying used guns, both FTF and on the 'Net. I've never been burned and feel I've always gotten my money's worth.

However:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
"There's a sucker born every minute." - P.T. Barnum
and
caveat emptor, always.
Old October 2, 2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Chris_B

Used .45 the day after I bought it. Back from the range and not even cleaned

Used P22 the day I bought it

I'm not saying I'm the world's foremost purveyor of used guns. I am saying that those two pistols looked brand new but were for sale used at a gun store with a reputation for not selling junk. I saved hundreds and couldn't be more pleased with either pistol. It's always 'buyer beware' but you can make some fair judgments on condition vs price
Old October 2, 2009, 06:14 PM   #11
dondavis3

I buy both new & used guns.

I believe it's much better to buy a used high quality gun than a new cheap gun.

I'm never satified with the cheap ones.

If you know how to check a new gun out, it's rare that you get burned. It can happen but not often from a reputable gun shop.

Old October 2, 2009, 06:53 PM   #12
QBall45

This decision for me is a gun by gun decision.

I look around to see who's got what for how much. Right currently there have been a lot of barely used LNIB guns being sold back to the gun stores for cash. Something about a recession... Anyhow, most all guns have a warranty should there be a problem send it in for repair.

This is how I buy:
Shotguns- used rack first then maybe new or just wait.
Pistols--look over the used. May end up buying new.
Rifles--always new. I am not interested in anyones used rifle, unless I know the gun personally. (Then I'm not at a gun store anyway)
Old October 2, 2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Jon1911

I concur with the above comments expressing that it depends on price and condition.

And if you can get something with a lifetime warranty (like a Springfield) and you wouldn't mind the inconvenience of possibly sending it back, you have a lot less to worry about.

I buy used all the time.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:07 PM   #14
ranburr

I buy used whenever I can. Most people shoot a box of shells, put the gun up and never shoot it again until it is sold.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:29 PM   #15
HisSoldier

If you buy a used gun FTF no one but you and the seller will be privy to the sale.

That's a danged good reason to do it that way.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:41 PM   #16
JWT

I've bought both new and used and never had any problems. I'll buy new unless I find a gun that is in almost NIB condition at an attractive price.

With one exception the used purchases have all come from the same local store that has a gunsmith on site and is extremely reputable. I am very comfortable buying from that particular dealer - new or used. Not inclined to buy used from any other shop.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:52 PM   #17
Casimer

+1 on 44 AMP's comments.

90% of the guns I own are used, many have changed hands multiple times. But these are models and designs that I know how to thoroughly evaluate. And I'd bought several knowing that I'd have to do some repairs (e.g. new springs, action work). I think that used guns can present a very good value, but you have to know what you're looking at.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:40 AM   #18
LarryFlew

another +1
Old October 3, 2009, 01:08 PM   #19
Russ5924

But then how many times on here and other Forums do we read that someone had a problem gun and just resold or traded it in. So there has to be some bad ones out there some where. Have bought a lot of guns new and used but I never have gotten a bad one just lucky???? But have bought a few that over time I just didn't like and most of them I no longer own But most of my buying is done with dealers that I can come back on if there is a problem.
Old October 3, 2009, 01:17 PM   #20
Martowski

I buy used all the time, almost exclusively. Why would I pay the difference for a new gun when I cal almost always find the same thing, with a little looking, in like new condition? There are so many people who buy guns, shoot them very little, than trade them in that it's not funny. Plus, you can open up your "wish list" more with used. Example: my S&W 67 shoots like a dream, is in outstanding condition, and I was able to pick it up for less than $400 used... and it's pinned w/o a trigger lock. Got a LN condition, with case, Kimber Custom Classic Target a couple years ago that shoots like a dream. My most recent acquisitions? LN CZ-75 and LN XD .40, all much below "new" price and just as good.

A well made firearm with outlast most people's lifetimes. Most buyers out there probably put less than 3,000 rounds through their handguns in their life. I'm not talking about enthusiasts or professionals, but the commmon owner.
Old October 3, 2009, 01:37 PM   #21
gun nut

I buy both new and used. Sometimes you can save a significant amount. I stick to guns that I can find parts for. A couple of years ago I bought a nm ar 15 for $600 (it had a $500 scope on it). It has been an excellent gun. I just check them over like you would a used car. I even carry a bore light with me when I know I'm going looking.