The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 24, 2009, 10:44 PM   #76
MLeake

He doesn't care what you have in your fannypack...

... but he does care about the relatively high incidence of purse and camera bag snatching. This is a definite downside to a gun in a purse or fannypack. If the owner isn't paying close attention, he or she could lose the weapon rather quickly.

In an ideal world, the owner's situational awareness would never allow a purse/pack snatching attempt. Unfortunately, the real world isn't ideal, and the odds of having the gun "snatched" by a skillful thief are significantly lower if the holster is on your body instead of in a container.
Old August 24, 2009, 11:53 PM   #77
Trashcan-man

Kayla,
Try the glock, if the 26 is the sub-compact model then I definately feel that the xd is equal in size to it. Personally I would say that since you have an xd that you should try to stick with that line...unless you really like the glock(my experience is that glocks are love 'em or hate 'em, not much middle ground) in which case get the glock, whatever works best for you.
As far as the fanny pack, I can admit to wearing one for 2 basic scenarios. 1, going on a long road trip where I don't want to wear a holster the whole time but still want to carry when I get out for rest stops and gas. 2, if I am going to run to the store for milk, eggs, etc 1 or 2 quick things then I have been known to grab a fanny pack. BTW for those that do want to use one may want to look into the "keepers" that the police use to hold their gun belt to their belt. It's basically just a little strip of leather with metal snaps that you wrap around both belts and snap closed. I put the snaps on the inside to give an added measure of security.

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes - The Devine Comedy
Old August 25, 2009, 12:01 AM   #78
Phoebe

Wrote about my Glock experience today in another thread. I can shoot well with it but it's not comfy in my hand, and spat brass at my head. I'm told the brass hitting my head has to do with the range having tight walls and the Glock having a hard right-eject. But I was glad I had on safety glasses.

The size of the Glock 26 seems to be the right compromise I'm looking for. But I'd prefer something that feels more "at home" in my hand.
Old August 25, 2009, 12:27 AM   #79
Trashcan-man

I don't like the glocks either...please don't flame me...not that they aren't good guns, they are excellent. But the grip feels wonky to me and the recoil doesn't feel right to me. That's why I like the xd's so much, they point very naturally for me. The sc's are the same, you should definately try one....see if you can find a member of the gun club that is willing to let you shoot his.

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes - The Devine Comedy