The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 7, 2000, 05:10 AM   #1
oberkommando

Anyone know about the M1 garands advertised for about 450 with a newly manufactured reciever?
Is usgi better, and are they that hard to come by right now?
I would prefer a USGI as I know the quality will be decent.
Old January 7, 2000, 08:57 AM   #2
cyriaque

you can get a good garand from the civilian marksmanship program for about $410 after you jump through a few hoops. look up their web site for more info. that way you have papers on it. both of the ones i have gotten have been in good shape. you may want to request one made by international harvester or i believe iver johnson made some also.

i don't know about the adverstised ones you speak of but you will notice that they say "good to very good" condition which may not be so hot.

they're fun guns to shoot.

------------------
cyriaque
Old January 7, 2000, 12:57 PM   #3
jimc_617

The web page is: http://www.odcmp.com/
Old January 7, 2000, 01:53 PM   #4
Destructo6

The receivers are new, the rest of the parts come from parts kits, probably foreign. This is akin to the parts kits FALs that are all over the place. Not as good as the original, but okay if the original in unavailable.

The service grade M1 Garand from CMP is only $400 and you have the opportunity to buy ammo and other stuff from them. The wait is not long on the service grade.
Old January 7, 2000, 08:14 PM   #5
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Saw one at a gun show last weekend, had a price of $499 on it. Looked like a typical low-end "Frankingarand", except the reciever was unmarked and had a even matte black phosphate finish. All the other parts looked well used and mismatched. The gas cylinder had hardly any finish on it at all. The wood was not new (sanded & refinished) and the handguards didn't match. Muzzle was well worn. I wasn't impressed, the CMP guns I've seen are a much, much, better value. If you could pick through a hundred you might find one worth having. -- Kernel
Old January 9, 2000, 03:35 AM   #6
DougB

I also saw a couple of these Century Arms (CAI) Garands at a gun show. I was thinking of ordering one, but after seeing these, I'm not so sure. I'm by no means a Garand expert, but these really had the look of rifles put together from a bunch of well-used parts (except the new receiver). The wood wasn't impressive either. They may shoot fine, and be fun shooters for the money, but I'd suggest looking at them carefully before you buy. The two I saw were quite different from each other (although both the same model and price, on the same table). There are probably some good ones and some lousy ones.