The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Darien Outdoors

9mm 2 powder difference (pic's)

I have a question. I am new to reloading and figured I would work from 9mm then up to my 357 Mag loads.

I used the data below for 15 of each rounds of 9mm as followed. Please view picks and let me know why the difference in hole patterns.

same brass
115 Berrys plated
15 rounds W/ 4.0gr Tight group
15 round W/ 4.0gr AA#2
Same CCI sm standard pistol primer
Same OAL of 1.130-1.135
All same light crimp

Let me know what you guys think, and possibly why???

Pic of the 2 targets is AA#2 on the left and Tight Group on the right.

I was standing about 12yrds from target.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1114.JPG (93.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1116.JPG (57.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1115.JPG (69.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Darien Outdoors; August 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2
mikld

Well, different powders will have different burn characteristics, reaching peak pressure at different times. So, not identically sending the bullet down the bore. Different powders, even loaded to similar velocities may have a different point of impact and group size. My guess...
Old August 16, 2014, 11:55 AM   #3
serf 'rett

Two things:

1. Different powders wil act differently. Tightgroup is faster than AA#2. Should get different velocities.

2. You stated:
Quote:
I was standing about 12yrds from target.
We don't know your skill level or what kind of groups you can normally produce. I always test reloads by shooting off sand bags set on a solid bench. The targets are set at a measured distance.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:04 PM   #4
spacecoast

Depending on whose charts you look at, (Google "smokeless powder burn rates"), AA#2 and Titegroup have very similar burn rates (both being fast powders). Having used both frequently, I believe Titegroup to be a bit more energetic for a given weight of powder. It's just about the most econonomical pistol powder out there, and yet is frequently used for disciplines like Bullseye shooting, where consistency and accuracy are paramount.

However at 12 yards, I wouldn't expect much if any difference in velocities or impact points, and I think your targets generally show that.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Darien Outdoors

Thanks for the replies.

I did notice that the tight group had a bit more punch then #2.

Just the #2 seem to leave a cleaner round hole. Tight group almost look like it stared to tumble.

I will be looking for a chrono soon. But been buying reloading stuff for the past 4 month just to get where I am now. Now that I have all I need as high end items for reloading I can concentrate on bullets, powder and primers.

Does $50.00 sound OK for 2,000 once fired 9mm brass, un-primed and un-polished?

I know I read plated bullets need no crimp (or on any 9mm)or very light crimp as not to tear the thin plating wall.

DO
Old August 16, 2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Jim243

It looks like some of the bullets are tumbling and are not being stablized.

I hate Barry's 115 grain plated hollow point bullets, for me they are just crap. But a lot of people get good results with other of their bullets. I would say the results you are getting is because they are not moving fast enough. Step up the powder while watching for high pressure signs. That might straighten them out.

Jim
Old August 16, 2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Darien Outdoors

Thanks again Guys...

I'm no pistol guru. Just got me CCW about 1yr ago, then could not find any dam ammo. So I started to test the reloading venture.

For me at 12 yrds was pretty good... I was really just looking for case, primer, pressure, feeding issues. Just wanted to hit paper to be sure bullets were leaving the barrel.

This was with a M&P Shield 3.100" barrel so its a close range pistol. Was not really going for accuracy.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Darien Outdoors

Hey JIM...

Didn't mention they were the Berrys RN plated.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

9mm's do funny things to begin with. They tend to have large bores and thus, lend themselves to the bullets experiencing some "floating around."

Also, there's a phenomenon known as "accuracy nodes." That is a place where a certain powder charge is accurate, but not so much on either side of it. You can always try moving your charges up (or down) 1/10th grain at at time. 15 rounds is a small sample size too. So potential variables abound.

In terms of accuracy, it's going to go smoother with your 357 mags.