The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Petespacking

Hy-tek coating on lubed bullets?

I'm sold on the Hy-tek coatings, anyone gently melt the existing lube off their bullets and then try coating them?
Old August 9, 2014, 07:55 AM   #2
jmorris

Some have tried but I have never read of any success.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:48 AM   #3
mikld

Yep, lots 'o fellers do it. I stand my bullets up on a paper towel in a cake pan (no the towel does not ignite) and place the pan/bullets in my toaster oven at 200 degrees or so. The lube melts, is absorbed by the paper towel and I have clean, lubless bullets.

Some will soak their lubed bullets in mineral spirits or some other solvent and some boil the bullets in water to get the lube off.

For powder coating these bullets, I'll clean them off with a little lacquer thinner or brake clean to get a good oil free surface, but some fellers don't bother.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Petespacking

Thanks guys. I'll have to do some experimenting. Boiling after running them through the 200 degree oven sounds interesting. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Jim Watson

If you asked nicely, the caster would probably sell you some unlubed bullets to coat as you liked.

Of course if you have a lot on hand already paid for, then it seems reasonable to delube them.

Do they not shoot well with wax lube?
Old August 10, 2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Petespacking

Jim,
I've got a ton of .38 bullets, literally 10k+. I do get some leading in my revolvers and I don't have any difficultly removing it with Chore Boy but I really like the total lack of leading with the Hy-tek coatings. I think I will experiment on a handful of bullets and remove the lube and try some of the coating just to see how well it works. I do cast my 9mm and .45 ACP and I intend to coat those bullets instead of lubing them.
Old August 10, 2014, 09:20 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Makes sense to me.
I have a large supply of plated and "moly" coated bullets, but I like what I have seen of BBI with Hi Tek coating and may well standardize on them when restocking.