The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2010, 11:41 AM   #26
turnerdye1

alright thanks. thats what i needed to know.

ive got around 100 cartridges. just got to find the rest of my supplies
Old January 17, 2010, 12:24 PM   #27
Ozzieman

The 6mm Remington was introduced in 1955 as the 244 Remington case and came from the 7X57 Mauser case necked down to .243 and the shoulder angle increased slightly. The 6mm REM was introduced in 1963 for the reason listed by others.
The 243 case is a 308 Winchester case necked down to 6MM.
The case length for the 6mm rem is over 0.2 inches longer but the diameters are almost the same. You could get a 243 to chamber into a 6mm but not the other way. And if you did happen to fire a 243 in a 6mm it probably wouldn’t blow the gun up but the gasses passing back round the case could cause you some major injury.
It’s definitely a NO NO>
The 6mm REM in a Ruger V77 was my first center fire rifle that I owned and I’m sorry to say that I never found it to be very accurate with factory ammo of the types that I tried.
What mine liked best was the Sierra 85 GR hollow point boat tail. To the point that it was the only bullet that I used for target or varmint.
Ground hogs were easy out to 400 yards if you could gage the range and wind. The 6mm is known for being a reloader’s gun and it deserves that reputation.

Last edited by Ozzieman; January 17, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:29 PM   #28
BDX

Do not shoot Winchester .243 ammo in this rifle!

I see from the original post it is a Model 77 chambered for 6mm REM or Remington. We've had a few PM exchanges and I just saw your reference to the Model 77 and stamp of 6mm. It is chambered for the Remington 6mm round, not a Winchester .243!!!

You PM'd me that you've only been shoot Winchester ammo in this rifle, does that mean youve been shooting Winchester manufatured 6mm Remington, or have you been shooting Winchester .243? That is a huge difference and if youve been shooting Win .243 ......STOP!!!

What does the label on the ammo say? The Remington 6mm ammo, or cartridge, can be made by different manufacturers for example Winchester, Remington, Federal could offer this round for sale but you should not/cannot shoot another type (shape) of .243 caliber cartridge such as the 6mm PPC, 6mm BR, 6mm ACK, or the Winchester .243 in a rifle chambered for 6mm Remington. Again please have someone local verify this for you.

As I've said here and in our PM's DO NOT SHOOT Winchester .243 ammo in this rifle! The cartridges are completely different. Maybe a Win .243 loads and even fires in this rifle but it is not safe for you to do.

As I recommended in our PM's please have a local shop or gunsmith verify to you in person what round to shoot in this rifle.

Based on the rifle as a Model 77 and barrel stamp you should only be shooting the Remington 6mm cartridge in this rifle...
Old January 17, 2010, 01:31 PM   #29
Ozzieman

One other suggestion, if you really want to get your 6mm performing spend the extra money and get a set of Redding Match dies ether full length or neck sizing if all the cases you have were once fired in your gun.
The other is having your chamber measured for case length and bullet depth. Matching the case length to your gun and seating the bullets to maximum length without touching the lands will get the most out of your Ruger at the least expense.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...Reloading-Dies

Here is the best accuracy that I was able to obtain out of my Ruger, It’s the Sierra 85 GR HPBY (GK).

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/...-Grain-Bullets
Old January 17, 2010, 02:08 PM   #30
turnerdye1

alright thanks. im going to go with the lee dies so itll match everything else ill be getting