The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Rangefinder

Dad's bragging, sight in

So this year is my boy's first real hunt---going for elk. Can't be sure who is more excited--him, or me. So, this year, he says he wants to use my Mosin M-91 (I'm a long-rifle, and have been getting back to old-school for fun). "Ok, you're gonna 'snipe' you're elk, huh?. Suuuuuure. Let's hit the range and see where you're hitting with it..." Well, here's his 100-yard groupings yesterday with my 70-year-old mosin. I think we're putting his elk in the freezer this year (The upper 3 left of center is me playing with my 6mm remington on a 500-yd zero)

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:46 AM   #2
elkman06

Well heck, I'm impressed. Not just that he shot that well but that he shot that much..Nine rounds for a youngster w/ a Mosin..Good luck to the boy. I'm not sure my Mosin is that accurate.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old September 9, 2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Gbro

What is the muzzle velocity of that 6mm round? and BC bullet weight etc. etc. I would be looking at 7"'s high or there abouts. Nice group!
And as for,
Quote:
I think we're putting his elk in the freezer this year
My good friend, the local meat cuter drew a once in a lifetime Moose tag for an area that boasted 100% hunter sucsess. He had his moose cut and wrapped before he left home and when he got back he was tripping over his lower lip.
He and his party of 4 (the tag was 1 moose and 4 hunters) was no moose.

There is way more to a hunt than the filling of tags. Any other mindset can leave less than memorable memories.
Please do not fall into that pit.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:15 AM   #4
simonkenton

My good friend, the local meat cuter drew a once in a lifetime Moose tag for an area that boasted 100% hunter sucsess. He had his moose cut and wrapped before he left home and when he got back he was tripping over his lower lip.
He and his party of 4 (the tag was 1 moose and 4 hunters) was no moose.

There is way more to a hunt than the filling of tags. Any other mindset can leave less than memorable memories.
Please do not fall into that pit.

All the man said was he wanted to put an elk in the freezer.
I'm sure he didn't need a lecture from you.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:40 AM   #5
2damnold4this

Great shooting. How old is your son?
Old September 9, 2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Great shooting is right, your boy and that rifle are going to be a great team when it comes time to gather in the meat. Good luck on the hunt.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 9, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Rangefinder

He's 13 now, but stocky and use to some of my bigger rifles. So 9 rounds through the mosin weren't too rough on him---he was pretty spent after that though. 180gr. hunting loads for it get your attention pretty fast over the usual 147gr. plinking loads.

As to the 6mm question---those are my long-range target loads, not hunting loads---it's all I had loaded at the time and brought it just for kicks. I'd have to head out to the shop to get specific load data for you, but they're 90gr. Sierra FMJ/BT. Haven't chrono'd em since moving back to the mountains from the desert, but they're somewhere in the neighborhood of 3200 fps. Measured from center of bull, those hits are just under 5.5" high at 100yds---so, your 7" estimation isn.t far off. And, it probably works out closer to a 425-450 zero here since that load was worked up in a 115-degree 0-humidiy desert.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old September 9, 2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Legionnaire

Nice shooting! Give him our best wishes for the hunt. Most importantly, stay safe!