The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 18, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
napg19

Taurus 738

Need Opinions good and bad. Looking at these online and reading reviews which have both good and bad about them. Looks like most of the bad reviews are shooter problems. Taurus web site shows a model 738BSS and a model 738FS. Is the FS model the one with the titanium slide? Thanks.
Old August 18, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Garycw

Taurus 738

Not sure about the titanium , but mine is flawless in reliability*, pretty accurate ,and get alot of carry time because of the size and weight. Point and shoot simplicity. Always loaded, cocked , no safety.
* flawless ONLY with good quality ammo and polished feed ramp.
*had many FTF with Tula ammo. Many , many rounds later with everything from hornaday to blazer, no problems at all.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3
kahrguy

No titanium The FS is a oxide finished carbon steel, The SS of course is stainless steel and BSS is black finish on stainless steel. along with some lower color options. No titanium. but a great little 380 none the less.

The FS sells in a good lgs for around $185 the SS 4260 the BSS $275

You can find out more about them at Taurus pistol section.

Only titanium I know of is double taps 2 shooter and some s&w custom revolvers. And like many small guns can be picky about ammo and even the shooters skills . Feed it well and run it a bit wet when new they work well.

Some may also have no idea when looking at them when it was made . The early models did have problems but were fixed IF the owner tried to contact taurus about the issue it would have cost nothing but a week or two. . The latest serial number will have a D in it . But the C and D tend to be very good .

We have 2 of them in the family that I broke in . Both have over 600 rounds with zero issues. Both are C series.

Last edited by kahrguy; August 18, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
stantheman1976

I bought one at the beginning of last year and it did not work well. I could not get it to be accurate and it failed to eject spent rounds constantly. I ended up selling it with full disclosure and the buyer sent it back to Taurus. No idea what happened after that. I ended up buying a Ruger SR9c and LC9 and later on a Beretta Storm sub. All have worked well and were worth the money. Persoinally I'll never buy a Taurus.
Old August 18, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Tad_T

Taurus TCP738

I had one that has been flawless.

My oldest daughter shot it really well and I ended up giving it to her when she bought her own house and moved out.

I wouldn't have done that if I didn't have full confidence in the pistol.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
napg19

Thanks for all the info, has really helped. kygunco has the FS for $199. Don't think I can go wrong with that. Looks like I'll be getting one. Thanks again guys.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Garycw

Taurus 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by napg19 View Post
Thanks for all the info, has really helped. kygunco has the FS for $199. Don't think I can go wrong with that. Looks like I'll be getting one. Thanks again guys.
You'll find there maybe the lightest easiest to conceal 380's out there. Even with the crimson trace. I usually carry it or the Sig p238 in summer and switch to a .45 depending on dress and when cooler
Old August 19, 2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Yung.gunr

Great gun. Had mine for a couple years now. There is something with Tulammo where it won't work AT ALL. I had bought a couple boxes and had to sell em all off because it just wouldn't take em. Everything else has worked flawlessly. When I got mine I got it because it had the best trigger of the other pocket .380s around the same price. It is snappy of course, I wont let the wife shoot it because she is VERY recoil sensitive and I dont want to scare her away from guns.

Carry mine daily... I say go for it.
Old August 19, 2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Garycw

Taurus 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung.gunr View Post
Great gun. Had mine for a couple years now. There is something with Tulammo where it won't work AT ALL. I had bought a couple boxes and had to sell em all off because it just wouldn't take em. Everything else has worked flawlessly. When I got mine I got it because it had the best trigger of the other pocket .380s around the same price. It is snappy of course, I wont let the wife shoot it because she is VERY recoil sensitive and I dont want to scare her away from guns.

Carry mine daily... I say go for it.
I think it's the primers. I has some good strikes on the primers of Tulammo , but FTF. It worked fine in larger or full size 380's though.
And yes they are snappy to shoot as with most all sub compact 380's except the p238
Old August 19, 2013, 07:45 AM   #10
kahrguy

yong.gunr Bull !! You just don't want to have to go out and buy another one and break it in cause you know your wife will take it for her self. HA Try your one handed . Its easier for me to shoot it that way.

I was surprised a bit when my my youngest girl who was not a firearm person wanted to try some of my handguns. She ended up likeing the tcp the best and could easily rack it. So , its not like a parent can say NO. She got her CCL with in a few weeks and also so bought a bersa CC to go with the tcp but still carries the tcp most times.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:42 AM   #11
aarmel732

I have the dewalt version of that, yellow lower, black upper. Now it has had some failures, but they are directly attributed to poor handling of the fire arm. When I first shot it, I thought, "meh, small 380, no sense in hanging onto this with a death grip" well, FTE. Tightened up my grip, flawless. I let my dad shoot it, and he did the same thing. Light on the grip, instantly stove pipe. Told him to hang onto it, flawless.
The trigger is kind of long, but crazy smooth and consistent. I have about 500 rounds through it, and besides those two failures, it has run very well. I have not used Tul ammo, but blazer brass, blazer with aluminum cases, some good hornady stuff, Winchester, and Remington, have all shot perfect.
When we finally get concealed carry here in Illinois, it will be my carry gun. Thinking of adding a crimson trace to it.
Accuracy is reasonable, better than I expected from such a small gun with such bad sights honestly. The flat top aids in aiming a lot. I like it. It is on my do not get rid of list.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
Yung.gunr

Kahrguy... Haha... Nope, I actually got a Sig P238 that I had wanted for years and she was having troubles with her LC9. So I made the mistake of having her try the P238 and now that one is her's. I'm hoping to get enough $$ saved up at some time to get my own P238 or a P290rs.

Garycw... Nah, it wasn't the primers. I had to push the slide forward to even get the Tulammo to chamber. They fired once I got em chambered, but it just wouldn't chamber a new round. The P238 did it as well. I really have no idea what was wrong. I sold em off and counted it as a learning experience. I havent had problems with Tulammo in my 9mms or .223. Really odd.

But yeah, back to the OP, the only pocket gun I like better than the TCP (738) is the Sig P238. But then again the Sig is quite a bit more $$. The TCP is probably the best bang for the buck with pocket autos.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Yung.gunr

I really think that all the bad reviews are either from early models before they worked out the kinks, or from Taurus bashers.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Garycw

Taurus 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung.gunr View Post
I really think that all the bad reviews are either from early models before they worked out the kinks, or from Taurus bashers.
Yes, you could be correct about reviews. As for the Tulammo you had, just sounds bad out of spec or damaged someway. Mine cycled and chambered fine. About a third of the rounds that FTF had a good strike from firing pin, but was apparently not hard enough. I used the struck FTF rounds in a full size 380 and it fired fine.
The TCP and P238 are the only 380's I carry. The TCP actually get more carry time.
Other times its a millinieum pro PT745 or Sig Ultra compact .45.
I had two TCP's but regretfully sold one. They are so small, handy and simple I had extra one for back up incase something happened to first.
Unlike some people have claimed, I've never had a bad Taurus.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Wreck-n-Crew

I bought my sister the 738 TCP and runs flawless for her. It's her personal carry.

Thought about one myself as a backup, but too small for me.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:28 AM   #16
lapetrarca53

Mine is a "C" series and has been flawless. It's my EDC.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:16 PM   #17
igolfat8

I have a D model and it gets carried daily. All my Glock's have become safe queens
Old August 23, 2013, 05:22 PM   #18
Garycw

Taurus 738

One of the reasons my TCP gets alot of carry time besides being small, simple and reliable is this. I don't worry about getting scratched, wet , dirty and banged around as much as I do the P238. I don't worry about rolling around on the ground working with it IWB. Just one of the perks of being inexpensive