The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2010, 10:50 PM   #26
t45

I use 200gr +P Gold Dots in my officer model.
Old November 21, 2010, 11:14 PM   #27
AustinTX

It looks like donron has been nuked. The only traces of him are quotes of his inane posts.

Good riddance.
Old November 22, 2010, 02:44 AM   #28
Eagle0711

I agree with the fellas who said ball. You need all of the penertrtion that you can get. The energy spent opening a HP will cause lack of penetration. Just put it where it belongs.
Old November 22, 2010, 05:18 AM   #29
AustinTX

I cannot believe that, in the 21st century, we still have people recommending ball ammo in a .45. Ball ammo is not a good manstopper, even in .45.

Quote:
You need all of the penertrtion that you can get.
No, you don't. There is such a thing as overpenetration, and it's not desirable.

Quote:
The energy spent opening a HP will cause lack of penetration.
No, it won't. There are a good number of HP rounds that will give excellent penetration without overpenetrating and failing to transfer much of the bullet's kinetic energy, as ball ammo will do.
Old November 22, 2010, 06:02 AM   #30
Wildalaska

Quote:
I cannot believe that, in the 21st century, we still have people recommending ball ammo in a .45. Ball ammo is not a good manstopper, even in .45.
Ball ammo is guaranteed to feed in a short barreled .45 that by its nature, is finicky. Using HPs sacrifices reliability on the alter of possible expansion in light of velocity loss.

And ball ammo is a fine self defense round, in any caliber, for the average armed citizen, especially in Northern Climes. If you dont think that it is, allow me to shoot you in the face with one. Bet you a buck you say Owie and fall down.

Truly Yours

WildhowcomenoonetakesmeuponthatofferAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old November 22, 2010, 07:07 AM   #31
Hoss Fly

Agreed

Quote:
Ball ammo is guaranteed to feed in a short barreled .45 that by its nature, is finicky. Using HPs sacrifices reliability on the alter of possible expansion in light of velocity loss.
Funny

Quote:
And ball ammo is a fine self defense round, in any caliber, for the average armed citizen, especially in Northern Climes. If you dont think that it is, allow me to shoot you in the face with one. Bet you a buck you say Owie and fall down.
Old November 22, 2010, 02:32 PM   #32
kenn

Hello - Original Poster here...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Ok, from you guys' responses and my home defense shooting needs, the following brands have not been voted off the island.
BTW -http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/45auto.html
Awesome link Mr. Downey

Corbon DPX 160
Fed Hyd 185
Hornady Crit Defense 185 (in the lead because - It's what I keep in my nines)
Remington HP - 185 (what I already have)

I'll start running tests.
First though:
1. Does anybody have any experience with Defensive Tech ammo?
2. I use Powerball in my 380's and I noticed no one recommended them. Do you guys no something I don't? Please advise.

Thanks,
Kenn
Old November 22, 2010, 10:09 PM   #33
KyJim

Quote:
I use Powerball in my 380's and I noticed no one recommended them. Do you guys no something I don't? Please advise.
First, IMO, FMJ ammo in a .380 is best due to penetration. Accuracy first, penetration second, and expansion third. Others have different opinions on this.

Powerballs, in any caliber, are either barely adequate or inadequate for penetration and have a history of jacket separation. You may want to start a separate thread about this.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:46 PM   #34
Jim243

Quote:
but I do not know enough about ballistics to determine what would be the best round for this short barreled little beastie
The same ammo used in any 4 inch or 5 inch gun. Good ammo is good ammo, garbage is garbage no mater what it is shot out of.

Jim
Old November 23, 2010, 11:31 AM   #35
tipoc

From Kenn,

Quote:
I use Powerball in my 380's and I noticed no one recommended them. Do you guys no something I don't? Please advise.
The search function here can likely turn up a good deal about Powerball ammo. It is a useful tool.

tipoc

Tags
.45 , night stand