The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 10, 2014, 11:36 AM   #26
noelf2

Quote:
I can't tolerate anything that might cause a misfire and......snapping caps to clear can leave debris in the nipple. It's that little round flat burnt disc left from the caps ignition chemical that blocks the nipple. I see it whenever I do snap a cap. I usually have a needle in my little doeskin bag of little tools to pick that danged little piece of burnt disc stuff out of the beginning of the nipples cone.
If you snap a cap with the muzzle pointed at some grass or leaves, and you see movement, there should be nothing from the cap left blocking the nipple. At least I haven't experienced that.
Old February 10, 2014, 12:18 PM   #27
Pahoo

It does happen !!

Quote:
If you snap a cap with the muzzle pointed at some grass or leaves, and you see movement, there should be nothing from the cap left blocking the nipple. At least I haven't experienced that.
Yeh, I wish that were true and although rare, it happens more often than you might think. Really depends on the M/L. Now, in these cases, I am not referring to revolvers. When it does happen, you will see a very light, film-like deposit on top of the nipple cone. Seldom will it propagate into the actual vent. Most of the time, you can just flick it off. ....
In normal use, the blow-back will keep this area clear. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 10, 2014, 01:18 PM   #28
noelf2

Quote:
In normal use, the blow-back will keep this area clear. ....
I guess I'm a normal user.
Old February 10, 2014, 03:09 PM   #29
Pahoo

It's all relative !!!

Quote:
I guess I'm a normal user.
No-No,
I wasn't referring to you or I. I'm referring to the live-fire portion. Everyone knows that all "Front-Stuffers" are far from normal ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 10, 2014, 06:03 PM   #30
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

No. Cleaning utensils I use to clean. Caps I use to shoot.