The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 1999, 08:45 PM   #1
orsogato

Hi all,

I am real close to "graduating" from an RCBS "Rock Chucker" press to something that can really crank out ammo, i.e. Dillon 550. My question is thus:

Can you easily switch calibers during a reloading session or is it a real pain to say load 200 .223 rounds then switch to .308 to load 200 of them?

Also, how does this thing accurately weigh powder?

Thanks for input.

P.S. my fiancee wants to get a new washer machine. It can wait I need to do some reloadin.
Old August 10, 1999, 07:30 AM   #2
bfoster

I'll address the powder measure section of the query as I have a 1050, not a 550. Dillon is correct when they tell you that the measure is designed for "ball" propellants. Dillon calls these "modern" powders. In pistol cartridges it will easily hold plus or minus a tenth of a grain, with the .223 Remington cartridges you should be easily able to hold plus or minus two tenths of a grain provided that you adhere to the instructions. The powder drop is also probably going to be just fine if you use a very short cut propellant like H322. Where the fly gets into the ointment is when you try you use the long grained propellants which many riflemen prefer like IMR 3031, IMR 4895, or VV N133. Simply put, & I don't think Dillon would disagreee with this, the measure is unworkable here. I've modified one of Lynwood Harrell's measures for this purpose to fit my 1050. It works quite nicely, but was a bit of bother to get integrated into the Dillon.
Old August 10, 1999, 09:07 AM   #3
Quantrill

Since bfoster has answered the powder measure question so completely, let me just say about the ability to switch calibers in a 550. If you are now using a single stage reloader and must change dies, primer seater etc., you will be pleasently surprized with a Dillon. In short, yes, it is easy and simple to change from one caliber to another- and if there are any questions, just call Dillon.
Quantrill
Old August 10, 1999, 11:30 AM   #4
orsogato

So you can't use IMR 4895 very well.

Hmmm that could be a big problem as that is the main powder that I use.

So the ball stuff has to pretty much be used. hmmmm.

Old August 10, 1999, 12:24 PM   #5
FTG-05

Orso,

I don't agree with Bfoster totally. While Dillon does recommend NOT using stick powders in the RL-550B (the one I have) it can be used as I have and others. I recommend that you do a search over at AR15.com in the reloading section and see other peoples comments.

Having said that, I currently use Win 748 and WC844 for my .223. If you feel you're "stuck" with ball powders, its not really that bad a deal for .223.

Changing a Dillon RL-550B does require some changes as I will outline below:

9mm to 40 S&W: I use the same powder (WSL, I think), so the only changes are to the tool head (5 minutes max) and the powder charge (the shellplate works for both 9mm and .40, at least for me).

Any pistol to any rifle: Toolhead (5 minutes), shellplate (5-10 minutes) plus the powder charge bar (about 5 min). If you go from small to large primer, another 10-15 minutes.

Rifle to rifle: toolhead at a minimum. Like calibers like the .308, .30-06, 270 etc. and assuming you use the same powder will only require you change the powder charge. The more change in caliber (primer size, head size, powder type and charge) the more items you will have to change out. Approximate times are as shown above.

Compared to changing out ONE single stage press for ONE caliber, the Dillon RL-550B is a breeze.

You can get additional hardware from Dillon (complete powder charge bar and additional powder holder) for about $45.

The bottom line: it makes sense to load as much a possible with like calibers (i.e. pistol to pistol, rifle to rifle, etc.) so you don't have to change as many items for each change. BTW: I use my Dillon to reload 9mm. .40 S&W, .44 Mag, .223, 7mm-08, .308, .30-06 and probably a couple of calibers I've forgotten about!!!

Better yet, just get 2 reloaders: one for pistols and one for rifles!

I hope this helps.

Albin

[This message has been edited by Albin (edited August 10, 1999).]
Old August 11, 1999, 07:20 AM   #6
Fred S

Ortosago:

I use IMR 4895 in my Dillon 550B and it works well. You might get a .1 or .2 variance because of the long powder gains but that variance does not make a difference. I've loaded very good .30-06, .303 Brit and .223 using IMR 4895 on the 550B using the powder measure that came with it. My .30-06 rounds are very good, accurrate and consistant.

Fred
Old August 11, 1999, 05:17 PM   #7
orsogato

Thanks for Info all. I am ordering it tonight. Will keep you posted on results. If there is only .1 or .2 variance with 4895 I will be as happy as a pig in the old dung heap because I got so much surplus brass around here its just too much for the "Rock Chucker"

One more question. Does this thing have a station to take the military crimp out of the primer pocket?

Old August 11, 1999, 08:30 PM   #8
Fred S

Nope, the 550 does not have any means of decrimping. Dillon sells a swager to that job. its kinda expensive at about $60 but it works real well and is easy and quick to use. I got one and like it alot.

its sort of a press that lies flat. Yoiu place the case on holder, slap it down into the device, crank that handle and it swags out the crimp. It comes withthe stuff to be able to use it for many calibers.

Fred
Old August 11, 1999, 11:29 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some powder measures are better than others, and Dillon has one of the best. But the real secret is consistency. Even with an automatic measure, the way and the speed of operation of the tool can cause inconsistency in the charge. This is almost never enough to affect safety, but it can affect accuracy.

Jim