The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 25, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Remington Thunderbolts

I have a box of decades-old Remington Thunderbolt .22LR that I opened today and while handling the rounds, my fingers got filthy in no time flat.

Is this normal with Thunderbolts, or are they deteriorating?

They seem so dirty that they would take no time at all to foul a semi-auto.

Rmocarsky
Old February 26, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

That's the way they are, you handle them you will get dirty, you shoot them your gun will get dirty. They still work reasonably well for a reasonable price and I will buy a brick if my favorites aren't handy without any qualms. Lava soap or GoJo works well to get your hands clean again. Just don't use the guest towel or the bathroom curtains to wipe off the excess. Women folk get testy about things like that.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Mauser8mm

Old Grump Is Right!

Old Grump is correct! Do not wipe your hands on something you or someone else cares about!! You will regret it!
Old February 27, 2013, 05:08 PM   #4
wogpotter

One of the "oddities" of rimfire is that it's not reloadable. Because of this you have to match whatever factory load is "right", or "best" for your firearm, thus kinda-sorta "reloading for your particular firearm's preferences"
My 10-22 is absolutely thrilled with the super el-cheapo Remington Thunderbolts, so I use them all the time & save a few bucks as well.

Now I know they're poorly thought of in some areas, but they've never actually caused any problems in my rifle, & they are the most accurate of all the variatioins of .22RF I tried! I just ignore the "dirt" & keep shooting them. Its never been a problem so I don't worry about it at all.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 3, 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

I avoid them at all cost. Bad experiences. I love the golden bullets although in these times of empty shelves may reconsider if that's all I could find. I've had allot of fail to fires and vertical strings though. I could hear the difference from shot to shot. My .02
Old March 4, 2013, 07:45 AM   #6
wogpotter

Just went to the range yesterday. Fired 2 boxes of the "Newer, crappier" Thunderbolts.
Zero malfunctions, excellent accuracy in my plinking rifle, a box standard 10-22, all 10 round groups under 1/2" @ 25 yds.

Anyone benighted enough to be sufffering with these I'll gladly take them off your hands for a small fee.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 4, 2013, 08:46 AM   #7
elDiabloLoco

+1 for Wogpotter.

T-bolts work great in my 35 year old Marlin model 60. Anyone looking to dump a few cases of them, I'll split them with Wog.

Old March 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #8
North East Redneck

I bought some once. IIRC I had about 3%-4% FTF. This in about 300 rounds. Never bought em again.
They are in fact the only rimfire round that I have ever had fail.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Shadi Khalil

Remington Thunderbolts

Never had an issue with Thunder bolts in my MKIII, however, my friends model Marlin 60 that will not feed them at all.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #10
BerdanSS

They are dirty, but I've shot thousands of them without issue....the same can't be said for federal
Old May 15, 2013, 02:18 PM   #11
TX Hunter

Yep

Yep the good ole Thunder Bolt, dirty, cheap, will foul a bore. I know, but I have brought down many a Coon, that My Hounds treed with them. Also killed a few bayed Hogs with them and alot of Squirrels and small other Varmits. I wouldnt worry about the residue, It wont hurt anything.
Old May 15, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
iShoot17

I guess all rimfires are different.. but I have had the exact opposite results as Berdan.

My Marlin M60 absolutely hated Thunderbolts. It was my first rimfire and so I stopped buying them. I switched to Federal Bulk boxes and all of my rimfire .22LRs love them. (Marlin, Henry, CZ, Ruger, and old school Savage 15A.)

I never minded the dirty factor, but hated the accuracy.