The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 09:45 PM   #26
SIGSHR

I always recommend a steel frame pistol with a 22 conversion unit-the full size CZs, e.g.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:01 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
My wife's family could outfit an army.
Ask your FIL for advice. He'll appreciate it, and you may learn something.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:37 PM   #28
Cesure

Quote:
Ask your FIL for advice. He'll appreciate it, and you may learn something.
This is very good advice for several reasons. Your wife's family will share their experience as well as their hardware and maybe their ammo stash for free and not try to sell you something that your wife shouldn't depend on. They might not think much of you, but they won't want her hurt by their actions.

Learning from knowledgeable friends is another good way. Don't be surprised if they push to a higher quality more expensive gun first. I was encouraged to go with a stainless S&W revolver in .357 and I'm so glad I went that route. My friend coached me and helped me learn the ropes of shooting ranges and made sure I handled his guns safely until it would have been useless and a waste of money for me to go with a .22 first. I paid his range fees and bought ammo. I knew something about what I wanted when I was ready to purchase my own. There are a lot of reasons for having a revolver, so get some experience and learn the tradeoffs before you jump straight to a semi-auto.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:49 AM   #29
Chris Van

My wife carries a Ruger lcr but prefers to shoot a 9mm for recreational shooting. You mentioned that your wife will be using it as well.
I recently sold a Glock 26 and somehow purchased a Taurus Millenneium pro 9mm and have been very happy with it soo far. Those 2 guns have a very similar feel to me. My wife had some problems with the Glock, such as loading the magazine and pulling the slide back, as well as "limp wristing" causing the gun to jam. She doesn't have to worry about any of that with her LCR. But the smaller gun is not as "fun" to shoot as the 9mm's to her.
Someone earlier also mentioned the "gadgets" such as laser pointers. Her LCR is equipped with the laser grips (I forget the brand) and after shooting about a box of shells through the gun and being pretty accurate with it, I took the battery out and she used it without the laser for quite some time. After plenty of training/practice and being pretty damn accurate without the laser, we put the batteries back in for her to have. I couldn't stress enough that the laser is a neat little toy to have but that's all it is and to NEVER count on that little red dot.