The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 07:48 AM   #51
Don P

Quote:
Nicely done, but how? Assume I do not have a machine shop in my garage, which I do not. I do have the SS version though, so no bluing to worry about
Guess I'm fortunate with what I have in my garage. Gun disassembled. I used a file to remove the warning from the barrel and sand paper. I then bead blasted the frame. I then put my buffing wheels in my drill press and polished the cylinder so it shined. I like the look and the contrast of the bead blast and polished cylinder. By no means is my garage a machine shop. Air compressor, bead blast cabinet, grinder, drill press, work bench, vise and a 6' ft. tall tool box. I am a former auto mechanic.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:24 AM   #52
K_Mac

Don P I have the stock version your revolver. While I am on record as saying I am indifferent about the warnings, yours sure is purrty. Nice work. It sounds like there is a market for this sort of thing...
Old September 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #53
rrruger

Quote:
How many more posts until religion enters the fray?
I hear that the warning on the Pope's GP is in Latin.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:44 PM   #54
James K
Member In Memoriam

And all that cursing, ranting and raging, not to mention stomach cramps, ulcers and gnashing of teeth has accomplished -

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Ruger and other companies will still put warnings on their guns, and you will still have the choice of not buying them.

Jim
Old September 14, 2012, 03:52 PM   #55
tipoc

No not much accomplished, I'm not sure anyone intended that there be.

The OP sounded as if he just realized the warnings were there so it may have been useful to some to see how the warnings got there and to know they've been there a couple of decades on Rugers. (Fear of lawsuits prompt gun makers to put that stuff on.) So some if that was accomplished.

Folks who didn't know learned that there is more than one way to remove them, so some of that was accomplished.

Lawyers were cussed a lot and that's par for the course. Folks like cussin the hired guns and not the folks that do the hiring or the system that promotes it. There not much new.

We can say again for the zillionth time that gun safety is taught and passed on person to person. A label on a gun does not make a gun safer. Neither do various added on gizmos.

Like a lot of forum discussions some silliness and some nuggets of learning.

tipoc
Old September 14, 2012, 05:46 PM   #56
thibaultfelix40

Maybe this move to legal responsibility ain't so new. I read that H&R put stiff
trigger springs in handguns after a tradegy involving a child BEFORE 1900. During this time Iver Johnson started the " hammer the hammer " system and the safety trigger that glock and others use today. Grip safeties on SA pistols and the lever safety on lever actions also date from this era. Could it be that gun manufacters feel an obligation to protect the public from themselves? I bought a new Taurus 94 that had a trigger pull from hell. It is breaking in nicely to a smooth but stiff trigger. I like this. Stiff guns may be more child proof than those with trigger locks. The barrel warnings don't bother me a bit.
Old September 14, 2012, 10:44 PM   #57
Winchester_73

Am I the only guy who sent back all of my pre warning rugers to have the warning labels applied? I guess I am
Old September 15, 2012, 04:17 AM   #58
freebird72

Winchester73 surely you jest?
Old September 15, 2012, 04:38 AM   #59
BlueTrain

I'm surprised that no one so far has claimed that safeties are unsafe. There was a fad for pinning down the grip safety on .45 autos for a while, you know. And that new-fangled firing pin safety on the 1991 Colt automatics is bound to fail at a critical moment, right?
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 15, 2012, 06:44 AM   #60
Sharpsdressed Man

You say this has accomplished nothing? I say we all got to sound off, and sometimes gun companies DO listen. The warnings are now smaller, and one might even say "hidden". Also, I like that Ruger put the "lock" under the grips of the single actions, so you can use it, or ignore it, if you want. And, for all who might use it, the file and sandpaper solution is out there for everyone who might be inclined.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:13 AM   #61
Axelwik

My Super Blackhawk doesn't have the safety/manual warning. But on top of the barrel it says, "MADE IN THE 200th YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY." I'm sure most here can guess what year it was made. (If you can't, then you probably failed American History.)
Old September 15, 2012, 10:36 AM   #62
skidder

There are two types of gun owners. "Paranoid", and "everything is Hunky Dori" let's all just smile and wave. Yes, I'm of the former, but I can't help it when I see a pattern develop. Throwing our discernment under the bus and ignoring the obvious is not in my play book.
I've always been one to speak my mind. So, here ya go.....

I hate the billboard with an unbridled passion. When I gaze upon its ugliness it renders to me a foreshadow of the path this countries taking against our 2nd Amendment. This is just one domino in a series of infringements.

"It's just a warning billboard, no big deal".....
"Oh, it's just a lock, you're so paranoid"....
"Calm down, it's just a permit"....
"Patience, we only have to wait 2 weeks"....
"Yes, but we can still keep the 6" ones"....
"Quit crying, we can still keep them at the range"....

Call me a Narrow-minded, dogmatic, right-wing whack-job who clings to his Bible and guns. You bet your heineken! A badge I wear with honor.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder

Last edited by skidder; September 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:48 AM   #63
pismopal

Loaded chamber

The warning is there because California (for openers) requires it before the pistol can be sold here. The company has to make a decision..do we want to offend a few or do we want to exclude the largest gun market in this country? Same rule applies to the thumb activated safety and the magazine disconnect. Is there a moral to the story?.....Yes...this is what happens in a state ruled by liberal Democrats from top to bottom.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:49 AM   #64
tipoc

The warning on the barrel was placed there over 20 years ago. There were no laws on the books in California that required any such warnings back then. I'm not sure there are now.

The magazine disconnects also predate any laws in California. The Browning Hi=Power has had them for decades as well as some S&W semis. Some law enforcement agencies used to mandate them for their officers and so S&W installed them on many of their semis many years back. Nothing to do with Califas.

Thumb activated safeties have been on semis for over 100 years.

If you want to get in a shoot out with California politicos fine with me, but shoot straight at least. It's a matter of pride.

tipoc
Old September 15, 2012, 12:27 PM   #65
m16tackdriver

More politically correct bullsheet from "big brother"

What's next..........."Placing the muzzle of this firearm to your temple and pulling the trigger may result in serious injury or death"?
Old September 15, 2012, 12:44 PM   #66
NC Cruffler

Every warning on a product or it's packaging is a result of a lawsuit against someone somewhere.

Old September 15, 2012, 04:20 PM   #67
Gaz_in_NZ

I agree with this.
Quote:
Every warning on a product or it's packaging is a result of a lawsuit against someone somewhere.
But would have added " where the lawyers got very rich and yet another freedom was lost by the people to the Nanny State".
"Oh... you didn't read the warnings... sorry, then there's nothing we can do for you, please close the door on your way out".

Shurly the only reason that cars aren't plastered in warnings is that the manufacturers have had the bottle to say "no way, we ain't doing it, and yes we are still going to make 'em where 15 gallons of a highly volatile and very flammable liquid is carried in a thin single skin metal container, that will more than likely rupture in a collision, under the car".
I mean, there is no way that if the car was invented today that you would be allowed to do that or a multitude of other things that are in every car.

Cheers
G
Old September 15, 2012, 05:31 PM   #68
Sharpsdressed Man

I object to assuming California is the largest purchaser of guns in the US. Ohio might be smaller in size, but we hold the largest number of gun fanatics, enthusiasts, and buyers in the country. Our gunshows,moderate laws, and long gun heritage keep the BATF boys nervous....so much so, they dare not mention it, and run from Ohio to keep busy on the border!

Last edited by Sharpsdressed Man; September 15, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:54 PM   #69
tipoc

Pismopal,

You are correct that current Calif. laws do have an effect on what gun companies do nationally. While the warning on Ruger barrels is older than current Ca. laws and was the result of a lawsuit that was brought in Alaska, the Ca. laws do require mag disconnects on new production guns coming into the state (but not 1911s or older designs even if new) and a few other objectionable things.

Ca. has led the way in figuring out how to add on more taxes and charges to buying a gun than other states. Each year gunmakers must submit a gun for "drop tests" and pay $5,000. for the privilege of selling a gun in Ca.

New York and Mass. laws gave us the fired case in the box all guns come in.

Etc.

tipoc
Old September 16, 2012, 06:43 AM   #70
fdreano

What's even more amusing is that all the warnings in the world won't keep the slick Willy lawyers from suing and even winning on occasion. E.g. why doesn't Ruger have that warning in Spanish? My poor client shot himself in the butt due to a language barrier that Ruger didn't accomodate
Old September 21, 2012, 07:00 PM   #71
FLChinook

I've decided how to solve this problem... I'm going to look for a Security Six. That will guarantee something "pre-lawyer".
Old September 21, 2012, 08:03 PM   #72
Slopemeno

hate to break it to you but most Security Sixes have the warning as well...

I find if I just keep the sights aligned and pointed downrange the warning really isn't an issue.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:49 PM   #73
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa
They were sued for around $400,000 after a minor stole one of their revolvers and accidentally shot himself with it because he didn't know how to use it safely.

He didn't know how to use it safely because he didn't have a manual because he didn't bother to steal the manual.

Now it says, right on the gun, to read the manual before you use it so it's harder for someone to claim that Ruger is at fault for their own boneheadedness.
Someone dumb enough to do what he did wouldn't benefit from a message he had to read anyway. Not because he couldn't read, but because he would've been too lazy to bother.

It is especially depressing to see Ruger's ugly message on the barrel of the otherwise vintage looking Blackhawks and Bisleys.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:57 PM   #74
Amsdorf

Who cares?

I hope everyone whining about this never has any problem in life larger than this one.

Old September 21, 2012, 10:00 PM   #75
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Someone dumb enough to do what he did wouldn't benefit from a message he had to read anyway. Not because he couldn't read, but because he would've been too lazy to bother.
Of course. The difference is that with the warning in place, there's now no longer any shred of a doubt that the user is fully to blame if he fails to operate the firearm in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.