The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 03:24 AM   #1
sigcurious

Pot, Meet Kettle...

Article

It seems Mark Kelly decided he wanted an AR and a 1911. Apparently, he's denying that it was intended as a personal purchase, rather some part of his anti-gun crusade and plans to turn the AR over to the local PD.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Although I am confused, as I did not think AZ had any waiting period, yet he did not take immediate possession of it according to the article.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:43 AM   #2
oldgunsmith

Maybe you're not as confused as he is.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
shortwave

Well...being what the current markup is on AR's (even used) .... Thank You Mark Kelly for your high dollar donation to the gun industry and your support to the Tucson, AZ., police dept. Everyone concerned, including Arizona tax payers, appreciates your business. One less AR Arizona taxpayers have to purchase for their LE...

....also, with the populace of armed illegal immigrants and heavily armed drug smugglers jumping back and forth across the border (possibly armed by our current administration), Arizona LE can use all the donations it can get.

Maybe a few more anti-gun groups will follow suit in other boarder states and help their fellow taxpayers out as well.

For encouragement, these donations may be tax deductible.
Old March 10, 2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

What a terribly slanted story that regurgitates the same kool-aid I've come to expect.

Sigh.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old March 10, 2013, 07:31 AM   #5
patriotic

In other words he lied (committed perjury) on a federal form (4473) question #11. Arrest him and charge him with a felony.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:41 AM   #6
TLeo

He was just afraid that at any minute, that evil AR-15 was going to jump off the shelf and go on a rampage. We should consider him a hero for his immediate actions. He should be a politician....what hypocritical BS!
Old March 10, 2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

I actually can believe that he bought it with the intention of turning it over to the PD. There are political or illustrative reasons for such behavior. I don't think that means he lied on the 4473, any more than buying a firearm as a gift would.

However, Mark Kelly, if you're reading this: If you're just dying to give away AR-15s, I know a guy in Arkansas that could use one.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:59 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

That hypocrite piece of work came here to Colorado to testify against our Second Amendment Rights.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:43 AM   #9
dajowi

NASA should sue this guy for making astronauts look stupid. I really find it hard to believe that:

He would need to purchase an AR15 for a prop to use for demonstrations.

That he'd purchase such a prop with his own money.

That he'd turn over the prop to the police department without compensation.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Dwight55

If you "could" follow the money trail, . . . I'd be looking at the Southern Poverty group, . . . Brady, . . . CBS, . . . ABC, . . . NBC, . . . CNN, . . . there is not telling where that money came from.

Why, . . . he may have just gotten a "donation" to their collective anti-gun charity, . . . and had to spend it.

Besides, . . . I am not sure he is smart enough to think of something like that all on his own. He was coached.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 11, 2013, 07:23 AM   #11
adamc

He was "Mis Quoted" :-)

How come NOBODY grills DF about HER Carry License ?

gooses and ganders ?

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 11, 2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Skadoosh

Quote:
I actually can believe that he bought it with the intention of turning it over to the PD.
He was busted purchasing that AR15 for himself with no intention of turning it over to police, pure and simple. Now he is back pedaling.
Old March 11, 2013, 07:41 AM   #13
AH.74

Quote:
I actually can believe that he bought it with the intention of turning it over to the PD. There are political or illustrative reasons for such behavior.
He got caught, plain and simple, and then lied about it to CHA.

If there's one thing I hate, it's a liar. And a hypocritical, agenda-driven liar who thinks he's above his own proposed restrictions is the worst kind of liar.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
chiefr

Concur with Gary.
Hypocracy abounds with those on the left.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Webleymkv

Does anyone else find it interesting that this "passion" within Kelly and Giffords was ignited not when Giffords was shot, but two years later after she was conveniently out of office and thus not subject to the political backlash of supporting gun control?

Don't get me wrong, what happened to Giffords was terrible and I don't mean to diminish that. However, the more time goes on the more it seems that Giffords has willingly become a political show-and-tell piece for gun control advocates including her husband. Giffords and Kelly certainly seem adept at doing or saying something at the most opportune moment to keep themselves in the spotlight. Regardless of what personal hardship they've suffered, I have a very difficult time respecting people who are willing to sell out our Constitutional rights for publicity and money. As far as I'm concerned Giffords and Kelly are duplicitous opportunists and I have no use for them.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Hypocracy abounds with those on the left.
It exists among folks of every political strife. Let's avoid left/right comparisons.

That said, I sincerely doubt Captain Kelly bought the gun with the initial intention of turning it over to the police. Chances are, he knows the shop owner, and they promised discretion on the matter. Then, somebody with a cellphone camera caught it.

Kelly's reaction? "Well, um. You see...it's a, ah, funny story. You might wonder why I'm buying this. It's because, ah, I want to...I want to prove how easy it is to get them! Yep. That's it. Too easy to get an assault weapon. Ahem. So, um...I'll just be turning it over to the police now. Even after I paid eleventy billion dollars for it at current market prices."

Frankly, this doesn't surprise me. Sarah Brady bought a rifle for her son in Deleware. Donnie Trotter tried to carry a pistol onto an airplane, and Joe Biden advises his wife to break both laws and common rules of safety in self-defense.

Does hypocrisy abound among the anti-gunners? It certainly does. At the heart of their ideology is the idea that the privileged will have access to self-defense while the unwashed masses do not.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:59 AM   #17
jimbob86

Lemme git this straight: He bought two guns. He is not a prohibited person, right? Where's the problem? He passed the background checks, right?

(Aside from the hypcrisy, and the possible issue of buying it for someone else...)
Old March 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #18
SPEMack618

Argh.

What angers me is that he drones about how his military background in Gulf War I makes him qualified to talk about the AR-15 as a "weapon of war."

I fail to see how being an A-6E Intruder driver qualifies you as an expert on small arms. Heck, he doesn't even have the Navy Marksmanship Medals/Ribbons.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:18 PM   #19
NWPilgrim

So based on his statements, the AR15 is lethal and designed to kill a lot of people, but since he is keeping the 1911 that means the 1911 .45ACP is not particularly lethal or designed to kill a lot of people. I think the US military, many LEOs and combat handgun aficionados did not get that memo about the 1911.

I hope there is follow up to ensure he really does give the AR15 and his high capacity mags to the Tuscon PD. This should be a questioned asked of him at every press conference or talk show he gabs at.

Obviously some of the animals at the farm are more equal than others.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 11, 2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv
Does anyone else find it interesting that this "passion" within Kelly and Giffords was ignited not when Giffords was shot, but two years later after she was conveniently out of office and thus not subject to the political backlash of supporting gun control?
<snip>
Regardless of what personal hardship they've suffered, I have a very difficult time respecting people who are willing to sell out our Constitutional rights for publicity and money.
I concur with what's been said here about the hypocrisy of his actions in this particular instance.

However, I think it's worth exercising a bit of empathy toward Mr. Kelly and Ms. Giffords, given what they've been through. It's very human to want to make that kind of suffering mean something: to use your experience to some constructive end. The fact that we think they're utterly misguided in the means they've chosen isn't a reason to question their sincerity.

And as to the timing... one might allow that her rehab has been more than a full-time job for the last couple of years. She's made a pretty amazing recovery.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:44 PM   #21
scrubcedar

Recovery from a Brain injury of this type (as much as you are able to recover that is) is a long, long term process, and a year is the soonest I have seen progress stop.
That being said, the brain injury impairs her judgement, survivors guilt and almost certainly PTSD impair his. How can I be so sure? I've seen a lot of these families, but catch up a little on the research in the area and I am sure you'll agree with me.
Buying an AR15, so that maybe he can sleep a little better at night and maybe not have the fear be so strong in him during the day, could very well be called an expected outcome. He may not have been able to help himself.

Understanding the pathology involved, I find the exploitation of these people, with or without their cooperation, to be nothing short of despicable, cynical, and the mark of a person without a functioning conscience. No I'm not talking about anyone here, I'm talking about the people using them as a dog and pony show.
Just leave these poor sad people alone, of course his actions are conflicted and inconsistent.
Say a prayer for him folks, don't curse him.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Gaerek

Heh, I know that store, I'm there at least once or twice a week. That's my usual hang out. Too bad I wasn't there to see him. I would have called him out.

EDIT: Now after reading the article, (I only looked at the pic when I typed this) it's confirmed. Diamondback Police supply. He's filling out his form on top of their empty pistol display case (I was there over the weekend, and they had exactly 17 semiauto pistols. Pre-panic, it was near 100.)
Old March 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #23
markj

Seems he was amazed it only took a few minutes for his background check to clear. Now I wonder how high his security clearances were when he flew shuttles. I hope this doesnt deter him from enjoying his 45 and ar15
Old March 11, 2013, 04:54 PM   #24
sigcurious

He was on CNN today talking about the purchase. I didn't get any more information as the TV at the diner didn't have the sound on. Anyone else happen to catch the interview and hear what he had to say or what kinds of questions they asked him?
Old March 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Gaerek

Quote:
He was on CNN today talking about the purchase. I didn't get any more information as the TV at the diner didn't have the sound on. Anyone else happen to catch the interview and hear what he had to say or what kinds of questions they asked him?
Heh...I don't think I need to see it to know the Softballs that were thrown his way, or the answers he gave.

Annnnnndddd....this pretty much confirms it...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...iref=allsearch

Although it's not a transcript of the interview, it is quoted. Gotta love the one-sided reporting. Nothing about the other side of the coin. Didn't expect anything different.