The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 22, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1
jason75979

Rifle Build questions.

Okay, have an itch I'm lookin' to scratch.
I would like to build either a 284 firebird or a 308 warbird. I'm curious as to whether a smith could build these or is there some kind of proprietary info problem that you folks might know about with Lazzeroni?
I haven't yet contacted my guy as he's off for the rest of the week so figured I'd ask here first.
Also, what would you choose? The 284 or the 308?
Me, I'm leaning towards the 284 as I don't have a rifle in the caliber yet.
Any input is appreciated.
Oh, as far as barrel life and such, I don't mind having to rebarrel if this rig happens to be a "barrel burner".
Old November 23, 2012, 10:32 AM   #2
old roper

You can buy reamers but brass is pretty high

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lacart.htm

If I was going to build something like that I do one of the Allen Mags. Kirby building some nice rifles.

http://www.apsrifles.com/

I should mention I've got itch for 338 mag not sure about which case going to use.
NRA Life Member
Old November 25, 2012, 08:46 PM   #3
tobnpr

Quote:
I should mention I've got itch for 338 mag not sure about which case going to use.
.338 Edge...

Gonna be my next rifle build....
Old November 26, 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
old roper

tobnpr, I've look at the 338 Edge good case.
NRA Life Member
Old November 29, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
hhunter318

The proprietary part comes when buying the brass and ammunition. The same way Weatherby was for a short while, until Nosler started making their brass and ammunition. Lazzeroni is the only ones that make it to those dimensions ready to be loaded, that is unless you want to form it from something else. As said before, even though the Lazzeroni line is said to not have any parent case, they seem to be somewhat 416 rigby based, atleast the long magnums do. Dies will also be ridiculously priced from wherever you get them, just because its an obscure cartridge. But as far as a smith chambering to that cartridge, I don't see where you couldn't do what you want.

On another note, if you have a wild hair for a .284 caliber round, there is the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag. You could probably duplicate the Warbird with the right powder and barrel length and it would be more economical.

But on the other hand, if you're just wanting something nobody else has, I can appreciate your enthusiasm, as I'm the same way. I want a 375/416 improved, but everyone tells me go with a 378 Weatherby or 375 Snipe-Tac. Thing is, I don't wanna..