The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 2012, 08:22 AM   #1
old fart

how to remove permatex rust treatment?????

i recently used this on a nef r92, i can still see rust underneath the coating. i am worried it didn't stop the rust, i am thinking of a complete tear down and reblue. how would i remove the rust treatment. thanks
Old August 26, 2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Don H

I checked the Technical Data Sheet for this product and there was no mention of a solvent to remove the product. The TDS does state, however, that the product "is extremely difficult to remove"; that generally tends to be an ominous sign. I suggest that you call Permatex's Technical Service Department at 1-877-376-2839 for removal recommendations.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
old fart

it will be tomorrow before i can reach permatex, this is gonna be a job to get off, just wished i knew if it stopped the rust? i'll keep trying some other methods, i wonder about paint stripper or remover?
Old August 26, 2012, 02:40 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Did you scape away the coating to see the rust, or are you just seeing a rust-like texture underneath it? Rust converters do nothing to change the pockmarked look of the piece.
As for getting the coating off, the MSDS says it's a vinyliden-acrylic copolymer which will thermally degrade at about 350 F, so the smell will be so bad you better don't get caught by your significant other doing it in the kitchen range.
My recommendation would be bead blasting followed by reblue.
Old August 26, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
old fart

it looks like rust in the same area it was in when i coated it, if this stuff doesn't remove or change the color of rust but just stops it then i'm fine with it. i'm wondering if rust will continue under the coating. i just wanted the rust stopped. thanks