The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 11, 2013, 03:08 PM   #26
PatientWolf

Well, I went to the LGS to get a Savage Precision Carbine yesterday and they were sold out.

Rather than not have my .308, I decided to pick up a Ruger American at Walmart. They were down to the display in .308 and it has a 1/4" barely noticeable scratch on the receiver so they took an extra 10% off, otherwise I'd have gone with the 30-06 they also had. I got the rifle for $343 out the door. That should keep me entertained and it shouldn't take too long to re-save that amount.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:22 AM   #27
jimbojo

New guy here, saw this thread and it is right where I am at too. Just picked up a used Savage Hog Hunter in 308, put on a 4x12 Vortex scope, I am looking for some type of muzzle break/recoil reducer, etc. I will definitely be under $1000, until I upgrade the stock, but I will probably just throw on a bi-pod and see how good she is bone stock first.

Jimbo