The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 31, 2000, 09:26 PM   #1
ctdonath

In another thread, MB0R0MAN observes:

They say 2 months salary for a diamond ring for the old lady. What do you guys think the rule should be for a self defense side arm?

As a guy currently pricing out pretty rocks, I really like the implications of the question!

While I'm as succeptible to buy-it-all as the next guy, I always wonder what is the one perfect gun for a given task. Now that the question is rephrased in a new light: what defensive sidearm would you pick given that you have $2-10,000 to spend, and that once purchased that would be pretty much it for life? Functionality and concealability are obviously first, and artistic flourishes are optional.
Old May 31, 2000, 10:43 PM   #2
Jay Baker

Considering your scenario, I'd buy a Govt. Mdl .45acp from one of the top .45 smiths, i.e. Wilson, Brown, etc etc. I'd buy a couple of really good concealment holsters and belt for them. I'd go to a couple of the top tactical handgun self defense schools. I'd spend the rest of the $$$ on ammo, and practice, practice, practice.

J.B.
Old May 31, 2000, 10:52 PM   #3
Zensho

Well, it sure wont cost as much as that ring or even one months salary: A stainless Wilson Combat CQB.
fwiw, I see the expensive ring scenario for what it is - a marketing ploy of guilt by jewelers who insist that the value of the ring is the value of your love, nonsense.
Old June 1, 2000, 11:57 AM   #4
WETSU

I bought my wife her engagement ring when we were in college, so I probably DID spend two month's salary (wages) back then, and it ain't much but she loves it. However, what I did get in the bargain is a woman who will watch my back with her .38, or my AR if needed.

Now, these days, I guess with two month's salary I could buy one of those new semi auto .50 cal BMGs, and a couple cases of ammo, a linking machine, tool kit, manual, and maybe a spare barrel. I'd take the rest and fly Kent Lamont out here to show me the ins and outs of my gun and buy him dinner. Maybe take the last $600-$800 and buy a junk car to destroy with my first 100 rounds or so.
Old June 2, 2000, 09:09 AM   #5
MB0R0MAN

Well the question really was if the rule for diamonds is 2 months salary.

What should the rule for a defensive side arm be for someone who **doesn't** own a handgun.

Not everyone could afford to buy a 600 to 800 dollar pistol for self defense. But everyone should try and buy the best they can afford.

Old June 2, 2000, 10:14 AM   #6
Zensho

In that case I'd buy a Glock.
Old June 2, 2000, 01:23 PM   #7
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Hell, with two months' salary (net), I'd buy a pair of Serbu BFG-50s and mount them fore-and-aft on my Jeep!
Old June 2, 2000, 10:22 PM   #8
mzanghetti

Kimber Ultra Carry and a
5 day gunsite course!

------------------
A Life Well Lived Is The Best Revenge!
Old June 4, 2000, 06:48 PM   #9
ctdonath

MB0R0MAN -
I know the question isn't quite what you had in mind...but it prompted a thought in mine. If you're going to protect your life with a tool that you'll carry most of the time, why not drop 2 month's salary on something really good & nice?

Perhaps it's better to spend all one's gun money on 1-3 high quality guns rather than go for lots of cheaper ones, a thought that I originally had when starting the process. Of course, my collection is blasting past 10...
Old June 5, 2000, 12:36 AM   #10
tuc22

$500 gun, $500 for leather gear and 1000 rounds of ammo, and $500 in quality instruction over two classes is a good minimum budget. How about a Glock, Kramer scabbard, belt, mag pouch and ammo at 20 cents a round. Then maybe Farnam or Louis Awerbuck.

Old June 6, 2000, 02:54 PM   #11
ChuteTheMall

test

------------------
Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.
Old June 6, 2000, 09:47 PM   #12
Steve Smith

This has nothing to do with guns, actually, but my friend, if you really care for that woman, find a real diamond importer. I have a frind who is one. I was amazed at the mark-up of the chain and retail stores...were talking I bought an honest to goodness diamond that appraised at $2500 (by other sources) and I paid $700, and he STILL made a profit. I've sent many, many friends to him as well. Get her a nice diamond and a nice gun.
Old June 9, 2000, 09:03 PM   #13
PreserveFreedom

2 month's? Man, I don't make that much but I am sure I could swing some fine body armor along with a few great handguns for that price. Maybe one of those one-shot bazookas?