The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
The Terminator

What to take backpacking?

We will be leaving Friday morning for a 3 day backpack trip in central Alabama. No bears. I don't think there are any hogs. I know I won't be taking my 44 Mtn Gun. I don't think I want to take the Kahr PM9, they probably don't like a lot of dirt or grit in them.

The 22 H&R is probably out too. That leaves the model 36 Chiefs Special, or the Glock 23. I think either will be fine, I just haven't decided which one to take, yet. I like the compactness of the Smith, but I like the better bullet and capacity of the 23. What do you think?
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old November 23, 2006, 08:48 AM   #2
SD_Chop

Well this is just me but i dont go camping/hiking or anything in the woods for a amount of time without something i know will do the job, its just not worth it. I would take anything .357 and up....... overkill? maybe, but im still gonna be alive
Old November 23, 2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Adventurer 2

I do a lot of solo backpacking - my vote is going to go to your model 36. More unobtrusive (I'm guessing lighter also) and will let you spend more time enjoying what you are doing.
The only real threat I have ever come across are wild dogs.
I have met some great people backpacking but occassionally get a bad vibe from someone (imagined potential threat). I never give them true details of my plans and break contact as quickly as possible if contact is even made.
Old November 23, 2006, 04:06 PM   #4
tarheel101

What are the threats?

1-Dangerous critters: Hogs, bears, snakes. Hogs and bears are usually happy to leave you alone if you leave them alone, if this type of threat is your concern take something in the .357 mag or more. Snakes at this time of year are not too big of a concern but a .22 or any cartridge with shot cartriges will do the trick.
2-Mean people: Any thing is better than nothing but some serious calibre from 9mm/38 special up to stop a violent attack.
3-Survival food: Small game could be hard to hit with a short barrel defensive handgun. A .22 with good sights would do okay in most cases.

Most any handgun if going to require compromise on some point. Too bad they won't let us carry a sawed off shotgun. But most of us like the idea of having some sort of weapon when out in the dark unfamiliar woods and probably whatever you have will be a comfort. Most offen I carry a S&W .22 kit gun, it's small and light and maybe not a powerhouse but I fell better with it on my belt.

Have a safe trip.
Tarheel
Old November 23, 2006, 09:07 PM   #5
whiskey

Seems to me like you have the perfect gun..Glock 23. Light, durable, won't need any cleaning until you get home. You can carry an extra mag of ammo.

In central AL all you have to worry about are meth heads and the *205* homeboys that got lost and couldn't find they way back to downtown Birmingham.

The glock was made to live in the field. Take the glock to the field. The 36 is a fine gun and capable of the job, but you have a better option.