The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 20, 2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Dilbert

Red dot sights.

Is it just me or are they not as good as a lot of people think? I'll admit I have little experience with them, I've used 2, but I just didn't think it was that great an idea. The first one I used was on an air rifle, the second was on a Colt Anaconda. I noticed when I was trying to use them that if I didn't hold the gun just right the dot moved and threw off my aim, which in a life or death situation could be deadly. Am I the only person who thinks that they are kind of silly and a bad idea, or am I missing something?
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old April 20, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Zak Smith

1x red dot optics can provide fast and easy sight picture acquisition, without parallax error, and maintaining the same or more situational awareness as open or iron sights. The Aimpoint is the most used combat optic in the US Military.

Quote:
I noticed when I was trying to use them that if I didn't hold the gun just right the dot moved and threw off my aim, which in a life or death situation could be deadly
Perhaps your criticism should be aimed at 1x red dot optics which were designed and/or built poorly.

-z
Old April 20, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Dilbert

Hmm, maybe I'll check out one of those aim points at the gun show this weekend. I don't know, the one on the Anaconda was a pretty good one, or so I was told.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old April 20, 2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Lycanthrope

Aimpoint or Eotech. Both are pretty much parallax free.

What you describe is also common with cheap scopes.
Old April 21, 2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Jayb

Here's a link to a very good (in my opinion) article about red dot sights. I have an EO Tech, and an UltraDot, and have previously owned several "inexpensive" red dot sights.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

Personally, I feel that red dot sights are in the category of getting what you pay for.....at least that's been my experience.

Some of my rifles
Old April 21, 2006, 08:30 AM   #6
dfaugh

Quote:
I noticed when I was trying to use them that if I didn't hold the gun just right the dot moved and threw off my aim, which in a life or death situation could be deadly. Am I the only person who thinks that they are kind of silly and a bad idea, or am I missing something?
Me too...Mounted one on my shotgun for deer season this year...And, found it was not at all good for quick target aquisition...Trying to center (which is very subjective) the dot takes far too long. Next yeat it'll have a low power scope on it. I'm much more comfortable (and fast) with crosshairs, than with the "dancing dot"....

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 21, 2006, 10:21 AM   #7
Jayb

red dots or scopes, are completely an individual preference, but I have no issues with my EO Tech, or Ultra Dot at all. If the red dot is visible and on the target, that's where the bullet strikes. On my two sights, the dot does not have to be centered to be accurate.

I practice weekly, my ability to "point shoot". There would be no red dots on my carry gun. My red dots are used for plinking and small game shooting. They're also very good for teaching grip, and body mechanics to new shooters.

Some of my rifles