The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2006, 10:59 PM   #26
Az Qkr

Az Qkr, FBI studies have found that it takes approximately 1.2 seconds for someone who has just realised they NEED to pull the trigger on someone to actually DO so.

I'd need more information to believe that myself. Where in the bell curve is the person who takes that long would be a start.

"Knowing that it only takes about two seconds to traverse a space of 20 feet, if youre moving while doing so, if the perp moves downwards or towards your weak side while moving you may never get a chance to fire a second shot."

It's not "about two seconds", it's 1.5 seconds in the studies, and less dependant on the one doing the moving. Being in my fifties I can move from dead stop to 21 feet in the 1.5 seconds all day. A banger thats 16-18 on the streets certainly would be faster than that I'd think.

"So what makes you think that she would have even MORE time to kick off her heels, and that then she'd also be able to outrun the perp?"

Again, it depends on where she is in the loop of the scenario. If she has time to even think of moving, I'm quite sure if I were a lady who was wearing heels I could step out of them on the move and in so doing gain even more speed on the fly as they left my feet.

If she doesn't have time to shoot, she sure as hell won't have time to move, so the heels would be irrelevant at that point.

Robin Brown
Old January 21, 2006, 11:24 PM   #27
pickpocket

Quote:
KNJoe:
...So what makes you think that she would have even MORE time to kick off her heels, and that then she'd also be able to outrun the perp?
Situational Awareness. If the girl is in a position that won't allow her to even ditch the shoes and run (while drawing, of course!) then I would say that the situation has been pretty much been decided at that point. She's either going to shoot him or he's got the drop on her and she's gonna have a very sh**ty evening.
If you argue that running is moot, then so are the reaction time stat you quote and the heels she's wearing..

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"