The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
marine6680

Range report and mini review SCCY CPX-2

I recently picked up this pistol in a promotion at a local shop. The SCCY factory reps were in the shop with a lot of pistols on hand and a special offer for a free extra mag.

One magazine would not hold open the slide, but I found this during the pre-range cleaning. I disassembled, cleaned and lubed the mag and it functioned fine after. I later read a blurb somewhere about backwards mag springs being found by some owners. This may have been the issue, I didn't notice it during disassembly. My friend with the CPX-1 mentioned a similar issue, I told him my experience. He also held mine and liked it better, so he plans on sending his out to SCCY for the free conversion to the non-safety version.

I did not get a chance to fire it a great deal, but I am happy to report no functional issues. Recoil is snappy to say the least, but being such a light gun, that was expected. My fiancé fired it as we'll, and while not a fan of the recoil, she had no issues.

The trigger is heavy and long, expected in a DAO, but it was very smooth and broke clean. I had no trouble holding good groups with it, if I had been going for the utmost in accuracy, I feel the gun would have held up its end. As it was, I held a three inch group firing fairly quickly. One round a second or a little faster. The fiancé had issues with the trigger, but she is less experienced, a little practice and ensuring she held a good grip helped her groups and her problem with the recoil... But it is not a fun toy for the range, it is a tool, light and handy, I don't fault it for recoil.

Function as I mentioned was good, I want to put some more rounds through it before I say it's fully good to go, but we are off to a good start.

I have shot the CPX-1 version with the manual safety before, my afore mentioned friend's... I was not a fan of that safety. The raised guard around it to prevent accidental engagement during recoil was sharp and bit into my hand with every shot fired. The stiff recoil of the pistol exacerbated the problem. I am glad the safety free version exists, it is better I feel.

Edited for phone induced typos.

Last edited by marine6680; March 2, 2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:04 PM   #2
histed

I'm looking very closely at this one. Early reviews were not good, lots of stovepipes and FTF. Looks like that's fixed. About the magazine - does this come with instructions on assembly/disassembly? This is a ten round mag- any problems with grip, especially from your fiancé? (I assume her hands are smaller, so this is of great interest to me) Recommendation for a CCW? I currently have a Bersa 9mm, which I like except for the DA trigger. I have a problem getting enough finger on the trigger to feel totally confident in an emergency. Nice review, BTW.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

This company had nowhere to go but up... or out of business. Their first few years were fraught with production difficulties and a product with spotty reliability. But they survived, partly by being generally friendly on the phone and passing out a lot of free replacement and upgrade parts kinda like candy. Through a lot of tinkering, I got mine running reliably... but later sold it as I upgraded my stable.

They made a lot of small improvements on their one basic model and didn't try to expand models til' they finally got it going pretty good. From what I've been reading over the past year or so, they seem to be turned around and are churning out that one basic handy double-stack 9mm at a reasonable price @$300.

I tend to usually support an underdog so I hope they survive and develop a couple more models... It seems like they're trying. Link...

http://www.sccy.com/

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2013/02...-2-9mm-review/

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 1, 2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:33 PM   #4
TunnelRat

If they have improved that's a good turn around. It seems a decent design I would hope it works out.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 1, 2014, 08:13 PM   #5
qwiksdraw

Good report on the CPX.

One thing I discovered in giving my CPX a shakedown to earn its position as a carry gun was that by the time I got to around 200 rounds, I barely noticed the recoil. By the way, it passed the shakedown without a failure so it has been my carry for about a month now.

Both of my mags had backwards springs. Thankfully the fix is easy to do. And it appears SCCY has resolved that issue.

Here is a good video on the SCCY and it even addresses the problems of the first generation pistols.

http://youtu.be/sPVrRkHnpwM
Old March 1, 2014, 11:13 PM   #6
marine6680

Histed:

As far as mag disassembly, nothing in the manual, but they come apart like most others. You can find info online easy.

The manual is very nice, especially for a new gun owner, info about basic functionality.

She had no issues with the grip, but that is all personnel in the end. Get your hands on one and feel it. If you can dry fire, do that and get a feel of the trigger.

So far, I have only seen two personally, but both are functioning well. Several new buyers at the shop commented that they shot theirs and had no issues. The shop also had a range... several shot thiers that day. A small group overall but no one I talked to reported issues.