The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 11, 2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

10/22 Magnum... where did it go ???

so... one of my buds thats been thinking about doing Appleseed training with me this summer, started looking for a 10 / 22 Magnum for the shoot, & some light varmenting... any info I found on them always had glowing reviews, but they seem to have disappeared...

anyone know what happend to them ???
Old February 11, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Moloch

I would love to get one too, but as far as I know they are more or less discontinued by Ruger. Last year I've heard that they made a small number of 10/22 magnums after a very long waiting peroid and now they dont not build them anymore. They just built them from time to time in a very small number.:barf:

As getting Ruger firemarms wouldnt be hard enough in Europe Ruger cant build their firearms continuously, its more like an on-off job.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:33 AM   #3
ISC

they would have sold alot more of them if they hadn't charged so much for them. It isn't enough different from a standard 10/22 to justify charging twice the cost.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Moloch

Well it is, if people show only half interest in .22wmr compared to the .22lr the price is justified.
Old February 11, 2008, 11:15 AM   #5
bobn

i had one and it functioned fine. i only dislike was the difficulty in single shot loading. all the ruger rotary guns seem to have this difficulty. while i respect others opinion of cost versus value, unfortunately guns is not the hobby for that situation, lol. bobn
Old February 11, 2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Ledbetter

The biggest differences are that the receiver is steel, not aluminum, the receiver is larger than the 10/22 in .22 LR, and the bolt is a lot heavier. More steel, harder to machine.

I think they couldn't sell enough of them to make money at it.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old February 11, 2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Ultima-Ratio

Another 10-22-

Checkout Magnum Research, they make a new and improved version of the 10-22 Magnum
Old February 11, 2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Moloch

Yeah, for 719 bucks!

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...tCode=MLR22WMH
Old February 11, 2008, 04:57 PM   #9
hoytinak

Not sure if these guys still has these for sale:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=279159
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...?do=ad&id=4032

Alot of people were buying up the .22 Mag 10/22's and converting them to the .17hmr.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:16 PM   #10
ISC

I would have boughtr one if they weren't so expensive, I looked at them, but they were over $400 and the gunshops never had them in stock. They said they couldn't get them. If ruger had come out with hi cap mags they would have sold alot more of them even at that price.

Ruyger doesn't listen to the customers, they just do what they want and are surpriseed when we won't buy their crap.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

there are high cap magazine available for the magnum rotary clips though...

my personal problem with them, I I'm a stainless kinda guy, as is my buddy thats looking for one... I'd also like a heavy barrel on the magnum, though I understand you can buy them... ( I'm not sure if Ruger ever offered a 10-22 Magnum in stainless ), as all I've seen have been the plain wood stock / blued carbines...

the cost of the M.R. & Volk models while really nice units, are more than either of us would spend for a rim fire...

anyone know if high cap CZ mags & or lami or composite stocks are available for CZ's little 22 Mag auto ??? I have one with really nice wood, that would be a great Appleseed training gun, if it had more ugly or durable furnature & at least a 10 round mag ???
Old February 11, 2008, 06:05 PM   #12
steveno

when I worked at Cabela's we sent a number them of back to the factory for extraction problems. we got them back and they were sold as factory repairs. I assumed they worked after that but don't know for sure
Old February 11, 2008, 07:08 PM   #13
Lawyer Daggit

AMT produced a 10/22 clone in 22 magnum a number of years ago as well.

You may be able to track one down second hand. They were stainless steel with plastic stocks so they were pretty indestructable.
Old February 11, 2008, 07:10 PM   #14
Lawyer Daggit

A german company was producing a very nice little copy of the M1 carbine in 22 magnum in the 80's and 90's as well.

I think people balked at the expense of operating a semi auto 22 magnum rimfire.
Old February 11, 2008, 07:15 PM   #15
tyrajam

Just get yourself a Rem 597 in 22 mag, just as light and handy as the 10/22, way cheaper, and I will ALWAYS take a remington over a Ruger.
Old February 11, 2008, 07:39 PM   #16
Moloch

I didnt know that Remington still makes the 597 in .22wmr. I've heard many bad reports of case failures and extraction failures with the .22wmr Remmi so that always prevented me from taking a closer look.

Quote:
A german company was producing a very nice little copy of the M1 carbine in 22 magnum in the 80's and 90's as well.
You're talking about the Erma M1, its only in .22lr, they were never chambered in anything else than the Lr.
Old February 11, 2008, 07:47 PM   #17
Terrierman

I had one a few years back, not long after they came out. I had problems with failure to fire. Sent it back to Ruger, they sent it back after some time in the shop. It wasn't fixed, so I sent it back again. After a bit of a wait, I called them and they told me they could not find the problem. They GAVE me the Ruger of my choice. I wanted a nice .22 WMR, so chose an All Weather 77/22 with iron sights. It is now my most favoritest rifle and gets carried and used more than the rest of my rifles combined.

The .22 WMR 10-22 is a completely different rifle than the .22LR 10-22. Practically zero parts interchangability. Well, maybe the butt plate or the iron sights, but not much else.
Old February 11, 2008, 09:14 PM   #18
Blue Duck

They had reliability problems, I knew about it at the time, so I never tried one, but I heard about several that gave problems, and I think that is why they quit offering them.
Old February 12, 2008, 10:05 PM   #19
hksigwalther

The 10/22M was discontinued some time late '04/early '05. Up until the end, they were usually going for $300-$350. Towards the end of it's cycle, the .17 HMR came out and people (including me) were converting them to that caliber and getting exceptional accuracy (along with other .17 HMR platforms).

When the end came, people, particularly ones interested in converting them, were snapping them up. As a result, the cost of the 10/22M has skyrocketed and is now in the $600-$800 range for NIB. (And higher from folks really trying to cash in on the demand. Up to $1000 at times.) On rare occassions, you may find one at a shop or a show. Hopefully, the seller will not know about the gun's demand.

The demise of the gun was said to be lack of sales and/or poor functioning that could not be resolved. The guns were known to FTE (and sometimes FTF). This I've experienced myself in the 10/22Ms I have. Simple solution for me was to replace the extractor with a Volquartsen unit. Other fixes include smoothing the action at various areas, rounding the rear bottom of the bolt, etc.

If you ever find and buy a 10/22M, do not send it back to Ruger for any reason. They will not fix it and will keep it. They will offer you a coice of one of their other rimfire offerings in its place.
Old February 13, 2008, 09:56 AM   #20
tulsamal

Quote:
The 10/22M was discontinued some time late '04/early '05. Up until the end, they were usually going for $300-$350. Towards the end of it's cycle, the .17 HMR came out and people (including me) were converting them to that caliber and getting exceptional accuracy (along with other .17 HMR platforms).
Exactly. When the word got out that you could do a barrel swap on a 10/22 Magnum and have a 17 HMR 10/22, they just about disappeared from the auction sites. If one showed up, it went fast and for a lot of money.

That doesn't explain why Ruger didn't keep making them though.... People are obviously willing to pay higher levels for them.

Gregg
Old February 13, 2008, 11:03 AM   #21
CraigC

Quote:
Ruger doesn't listen to the customers, they just do what they want and are surpriseed when we won't buy their crap.
Have you been living under a rock for the last five or six years??? Ruger has introduced several new and improved models customers have been asking for for years. Ruger has earned a profit every year of its existence. They must be doing something right. Some people you just can't satisfy.

New Vaquero
Mid-frame Blackhawk (50th anniversary .357 Blackhawk)
A beautiful 50th anniversary .44 Blackhawk
Four inch Redhawks
Five-shot Super Redhawk .480's
Charger 10/22 pistol
...and probably several more I'm forgetting.

If you understood the difficulty in designing and producing a .22Mag (rifle or pistol) autoloader you would see the value in the 10/22Magnum. Ever wonder why so few have been produced and fewer still have been a commercial success? Problems arise when .22LR shooters just expect everything about the .22Mag to be as economical as the the .22LR. The reality is that they are two almost completely different animals.